Driving the Alcan Hwy ? - Page 2 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 01:56 AM
tsc
Rubi Bad Ass

I did it two years ago in my xj- before I knew I was going i put a new windshield in- I made it all the way up without any issues- coming back through Dawson Creek- a county crew doing chip seal tool out the passenger side-

I always fueled up at half a tank- and had one or two close calls-

Satellite radio really is you best friend on a trip like this-

When you get to Moose country- slow down, they will take a rig out- I saw a full size dodge 3500 on a wrecker near fairbanks that had the hood peeled back to the windshield and the bumper was fine.

One of the funniest stories is filling up at a gas station where the generator was running the gas pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Send a message via AIM to BigDuke6 Send a message via Yahoo to BigDuke6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsc
I did it two years ago in my xj- before I knew I was going i put a new windshield in- I made it all the way up without any issues- coming back through Dawson Creek- a county crew doing chip seal tool out the passenger side-

I always fueled up at half a tank- and had one or two close calls-

Satellite radio really is you best friend on a trip like this-

When you get to Moose country- slow down, they will take a rig out- I saw a full size dodge 3500 on a wrecker near fairbanks that had the hood peeled back to the windshield and the bumper was fine.

One of the funniest stories is filling up at a gas station where the generator was running the gas pump.
Cool info. Any pics to share?

1961 Willys Wagon

2002 Wrangler Sport

Missoula Montana, home of AEV.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

bring extra fuel!! everything closes darn early and the dont take ATM cards(at least not mine) good thing my truck gets almost 800 miles to a tank or I would have been skrewd. if you decide to take hwy37a it was mostly a dirt road(3 years ago anyway) did it at night in the rain-took 11 hours to cover 400 miles. it was an awesome drive though I thought, we crossed in through sumas(out of bellingham) lots of scenery along the way,
did it 3 times in 6 months, up in october04, down in december04, up again in march05
wasnt bad start/finish but it gets awful cold in the middle, but I would definatly do it again just for the heck of it

94 cummins w/dodge2500, 260 injectors,191 DV, BHAF, #10 plate, 45lb boost!
03 rubi, cherry bombed, rokmen merc. 5.5 RKLA, 35" TOYO mt, mml/bl, xd9000i, riddlers, bilsteins
IF THE SMOKE AIN'T BLACK, TAKE IT BACK
Little tin, Little board, put together you have a ford

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Rubi Noobie

Driving the Alaska Hiway

X2 for the "Milepost." I've driven the AlCan probably 10 or more times over the last 40 years. No big deal except for: really cold in the winter, lots of construction/road work through the warm months, flying gravel from big rigs going really fast, expensive fuel.... and it's really the pits if you break down. Other than that it's just like any other drive .... only longer! However, since they've paved it and straightened out the endless twists and turns, it's almost like an interstate. Last trip (have not driven it with my jeep) was in my Dodge 2500 CTD with a cabover camper..... on cruise control most of the way! The last couple hundred miles (just before Alaska) is kinda messed up with some horrible frost heaves.... slow down for those rascals!! Above all, pay attention and adjust accordingly.... it's a beautiful (..and long!) trip.
By the way, I do recommend using credit cards (some smaller stations won't take them) when you can as you get the best exchange rate from your cc company..... also it sure doesn't hurt to carry some extra gas (especially with a jeep!) just in case!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 10:20 PM
Rubi Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
Anybody else have info or pics from the Alcan?

I just drove up actually.. I stopped at JK customs. I have a post already with posted pictures.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 08:36 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Two years ago wife and I drove it from the Calgary area to Fairbanks in Aug/Sep on our Gold Wing. Hit maybe 40 total miles of gravel in sections. Weather was wet and dust was less than normal. Never had a problem finding gas but didn't let the tank get too low.
This May/June we did from Haines to Homer to Tok then down the AlCan to Dawson City. Only 6 miles of gravel and it was well packed. Industrial traffic from Fort Henery to Dawson Creek is quite heavy but manageable. Frost heaves still exist close to the border on both the Yukon and Alaska sides. Slow down for those puppies or go air borne! The Canadians do a much better job of marking them than the US just be careful.
Lots of gas stations, motels, food service out of business, or not open yet for the season. Don't let the gas get low. Ditto on using credit cards-makes the exchange rate issue non existent.
johncanfield likes this.

Frank!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 Rubicon LJ #009 Sahara slightly modified

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page