• 8 Post By katswuy
  • 1 Post By Plumber1
  • 2 Post By katswuy
  • 3 Post By iceaxe1967

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Some good winch information

Roger at Justruns had some good info on winching that I thought I would pass along:
..................I backed down the hill so she could attach her winch line to my Jeep. When she pulled hard, her synthetic winch line snapped.

To be fair, the synthetic line was OLD, my guess is 10 or 15 yrs old, and had deteriorated badly from the sun. It should have been replaced long ago. When we got home we unspooled the winch line to remove the remaining line. When we got to the last layer or two we found the synthetic line had melted to the drum..

It had been years since she used the winch and probably never got down to the first few layers on the drum.

Many people don't know, unless they read their winch manual carefully. Most manuals says you should NEVER run the line out using the winch motor. Instead you should always put is in free spool and pull the line out manually. That is the case for most brands of winches, including the Warn Brand.

The reason is that, on Warn Winches, and most other brands, there is a friction brake inside the drum.and it is always on when you are running the line out using the winch motor. This is to prevent a "Run Away" while unspooling under a load. The motor is actually overcoming the brake when running the line out.and thus the drum gets very hot from the brake friction. Some other brands have a braking system outside the drum. An enemy of synthetic winch line is heat..
In this case the melted winch line didn't cause the line to break. I suspect it was one of the other enemies of synthetic winch line, Old Age and Sunlight..

Synthetic line is great and nicer to use than steel cable but it can be damaged by heat, and sunlight as well as sharp rocks. Since most people go a long time between use of their winch, one should inspect it from time to time. Particularly synthetic line.

Don't use the winch motor to unspool your winch line if you have a winch with an "In the Drum" brake system..

Thanks Roger , for the info

The liver is evil, it must be punished.

2006 LJ Rubicon, 6 sp. 3.5/4 in. RE lift, Rockhard front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, ORO spare/dual jerry can carrier, Moab wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, 285/75R16 BFG KO2's, Misch overhead shelf, Black Box 2-way, Kenwood Excelon double din nav/cd/dvd/am/fm/sirius system, Rigid SideShooter front LED's, Warn winch, custom Viair OBA, Banks Cat-back exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 06:54 PM
Rubi Wheeler

Garage
Do you think this is also the case with a Warn Winch designed for a syn. line ? I am running a Zeon 8S
Desert Dog likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Plumber1, I don't know, maybe call Warn and get their take on it. I have cable on mine, we have high heat, sun, rocks and cacti down here in the desert.
johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

The liver is evil, it must be punished.

2006 LJ Rubicon, 6 sp. 3.5/4 in. RE lift, Rockhard front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, ORO spare/dual jerry can carrier, Moab wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, 285/75R16 BFG KO2's, Misch overhead shelf, Black Box 2-way, Kenwood Excelon double din nav/cd/dvd/am/fm/sirius system, Rigid SideShooter front LED's, Warn winch, custom Viair OBA, Banks Cat-back exhaust

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 01:01 PM

Garage
This is just one reason I like the Warn upright winch model 8274.

'06 Solar Yellow SWB, 1" BMML, 1.25" BL, 2.5" OME HD, OME Shocks,TnT Rear Spring Relocators,Metal Cloak Alum Cntrl Arms F&R, 295/75R16 General AT2, 4.88 gears, 8274 winch, Gobi rack
'06 Liberty CRD green with budget lift
'43 Willys MB, work in progress
M416 Trailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page