Next generation snatch block - Page 2 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 07:42 AM

Garage
I like this design and simplicity. But wouldn't heat build up during long hard pulls? And could it build up enough heat to be damaging?

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Garage
If there's no bearings and just a block of machined/cast/forged aluminum I would think that's a possibility. Most of the recovery situations I've been involved with are usually short pulls - somebody flopped and they just need to be flipped back to four on the ground. There have been some very long pulls where I think a device like this would be completely unsuitable.

Thinking here... there's going to be some loss of efficiency due to friction. The reason I use a snatch block is a) necessary due to straight pull from the winch is impossible or b) I need to increase the pull power. I had to winch a very high centered 4-door off an obstacle and my 10.5k hydraulic winch was struggling so a snatch block to the rescue.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 06:43 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
The YouTube video addresses the heat issue I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Keep in mind the melting point of synthetic rope is at least 300 degrees Fahrenheit and the aluminum ring makes a great heatsink.
Also, if the aluminum gets hot enough to melt the rope then it would be more than hot enouh for water to sizzle off of, does anybody really think the ring will get that hot?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 10:52 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
I decided to pull the trigger and see how it works up close... I did this because I have a friend in England that can pick it up and carry it over next time he's in town, mid Jan.

Looking forward to seeing how it holds up.
johncanfield, sierrabob and FLLJ like this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 07:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
Keep in mind the melting point of synthetic rope is at least 300 degrees Fahrenheit and the aluminum ring makes a great heatsink.
Also, if the aluminum gets hot enough to melt the rope then it would be more than hot enouh for water to sizzle off of, does anybody really think the ring will get that hot?
Quite true. I am not sure if it would ever build up this kind of heat. But even if it is a possibility, I would say it would be an unusual occurrence/situation.

Course I am looking at this as the rope(s) affixed to a stationary object and connecting through the center of the ring building up the heat. IF the friction ever became so great for whatever reason that the rope being used for the actual pull started to slide on the ring instead of the rope(s) going through the center of the ring, that might build up heat a lot quicker (larger area for friction to take place).

Here is an additional video with commentary
Mouse and johncanfield like this.

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

Last edited by SweetPee; 11-08-2018 at 07:37 AM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
This is a very interesting product and I'm not trying to be hypercritical of it. I think it would make a good addition to a recovery kit but for me it will never replace the traditional ball bearing snatch block for those long pulls or where max pull force is required. I think it's highly unlikely friction would cause any heat buildup but friction will reduce the force applied to the towed object. Another point is the tight radius the line needs to make - a more gentle radius would be kinder to the line.

Just thought of another point - sometimes it's not obvious when you will need a snatch block in a recovery situation. With the traditional snatch block you can open up the block and put it on the extended winch line. With this ring, that's not possible (unless I'm clueless how this thing works.)

In summary, for short, easy and predictable pulls I think it would work fine and its light weight is a bonus. My snatch block is very heavy and usually lives in the bottom of my recovery bag, this little guy could be bungeed anywhere in the back for quick access.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 10:47 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPee View Post
Quite true. I am not sure if it would ever build up this kind of heat. But even if it is a possibility, I would say it would be an unusual occurrence/situation.

Course I am looking at this as the rope(s) affixed to a stationary object and connecting through the center of the ring building up the heat. IF the friction ever became so great for whatever reason that the rope being used for the actual pull started to slide on the ring instead of the rope(s) going through the center of the ring, that might build up heat a lot quicker (larger area for friction to take place).

Here is an additional video with commentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blgt28NTnCU
I like that video. The guy seems very pragmatic. He acknowledges all the concerns raised in this thread and then some. He doesn't seem to act like they aren't a concern... but more of a use your own judgment attitude.

Yes, there will be friction.
Yes, heat buildup was/is a concern.
etc...

Mr. Canfield,

I agree with you. In essence, use the right tool for the job. Using these rings solo or in series may or may not be the right decision. Acknowledge and understand your surroundings, consider your goal... make the wisest decision in that circumstance with the tools you have at your disposal. For me this is another tool to potentially makes things safer. My #1 goal in recovery is always the safety of myself and others around me. If it doesn't meet that goal, then it goes in the trash. I wouldn't give it to my worst enemy if I didn't think it was safe.
Mud Machine, johncanfield and FLLJ like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page