• 1 Post By mrblaine
  • 2 Post By mrblaine
  • 1 Post By Mouse
  • 1 Post By mrblaine

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Using old winch line for emergency extension

Just ordered a new Masterpull superline winch line (now on sale BTW). My old line is still in pretty decent shape and I would like to keep it in my recovery bag for use as an emergency 80ft extension. Question is - how do I put a loop in the end of the line so that I could put it on the hook of my new winch line when using as an extension. Would I need to get a splice kit? Is there a particular knot I could use? Do I need to send it someplace to have them put a loop/thimble in the end. Something else?

Thanks...

06 LJ RUBI, 35 MTRs, OME ZJ/LJ, Nth TT/armor, A to Z rockers; rockmen merc/superwinch,Vanco brakes, Rokmen CAs, Antirock, 4.88s, Currie steering, hula girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdr501
Long after the sweetness of low price is gone, the bitterness of poor quality remains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Garage
You will need to make an eye splice which isn't real difficult but you need the correct size of fid and a pusher. Here's a utube video of the process.
All of the line on our sailboat was double braid like your winch line and I spliced many eyes but I always had to refer to a cheat-sheet.

Be aware if you use a knot (like a bowline), you will reduce the strength of the line by 50 or 60%.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

John - Thanks for the info, didn't realize a knot reduces the line strength that much! Although the challenge of doing a line splice myself (like shown in the vid) is tempting, since this is a one time deal for me I'll probably pass on getting the tools needed (I have drawers full of special tools that I got for one time projects that I'll probably never use again). Looking on google I found an outfit in Colorado Springs (Crawlorado) that splices their own winch lines and they agreed to do mine for me. Cheers...Bob
johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

06 LJ RUBI, 35 MTRs, OME ZJ/LJ, Nth TT/armor, A to Z rockers; rockmen merc/superwinch,Vanco brakes, Rokmen CAs, Antirock, 4.88s, Currie steering, hula girl.

Quote:
Long after the sweetness of low price is gone, the bitterness of poor quality remains.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Bo View Post
John - Thanks for the info, didn't realize a knot reduces the line strength that much! Although the challenge of doing a line splice myself (like shown in the vid) is tempting, since this is a one time deal for me I'll probably pass on getting the tools needed (I have drawers full of special tools that I got for one time projects that I'll probably never use again). Looking on google I found an outfit in Colorado Springs (Crawlorado) that splices their own winch lines and they agreed to do mine for me. Cheers...Bob
If it is the standard 12 strand double braid, all you need for a fid is a tube style Bic pen. Taper the tail and use electrical tape to hold it to the end. If you don't have special scissors for cutting the line, normal sew shears work if they are sharp or even a new single edge razor blade. After that, all you need is a thimble if desired and the tape.

Taking the 15 minutes to learn how to do a simple eye splice in 12 strand double braid is a priceless skill that cheap to learn. There is an entire company built around folks being willfully ignorant of how to do a simple eye splice and that's almost criminal. It's about the equivalent of buying a Jeep and never turning a wrench on it or changing the oil. That isn't why most of us wind up owning Jeeps.
johncanfield likes this.

I am Savvy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Guess a bic pen is within the budget! I'll give it a try as I agree, it's probably a good skill to have. For emergency use only can I get by with just a line loop or should I get a thimble of some sort?
Cheers....

Quote:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Bo View Post
Guess a bic pen is within the budget! I'll give it a try as I agree, it's probably a good skill to have. For emergency use only can I get by with just a line loop or should I get a thimble of some sort?
Cheers....
If you aren't going to use a thimble, then you may want to learn a different eye splice or do a safety stitch. The only reason is the eye can loosen due to handling and won't if you can load it with a thimble. If you don't want to use a thimble, then you need a way to lock the tail in the bury. The Brummel eye splice will do it for you and is almost as easy to do as a buried tail splice. The buried tail splice is the strongest eye splice. But, the Locked Brummel will still only fail at a point higher than the rated line strength typically.

Once you do the second splice in hollow braid lines, you'll wonder why any one every resists or is reluctant to learn how to do it. It is a very basic and easy to learn skill. After you do about 5, you're practically a pro and can do one in a few minutes.

If you do want to get some fids just because, this company makes plastic ones that work, are cheap, and you can throw them away when you are done using them.

https://www.amazon.com/WELLINGTON-CO.../dp/B000R2POFW

If you want to exert some search muscle, they can be found much cheaper.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...f-28d10d9981a1

I suspect if you keep digging, you can likely find them as cheap as a 3 pak of Bic Pens.

I have several packs of them and use them often.
johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

I am Savvy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:06 AM
Official WebWheeler

Garage
I'm looking forward to seeing some results...if OP doesn't, maybe I will try.
johncanfield likes this.

Lives in garage:

2004 Red Jeep TJ "X", big tires, suspension, stereo delete, dent in cowl.

1982 Red Jeep Scrambler, small block chevy on 35's.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
If you aren't going to use a thimble, then you may want to learn a different eye splice or do a safety stitch. ...
Making an eye splice around a thimble takes just a tad more time since you obviously need it tight against the thimble. When I made one of these, I would whip (stitch) the line where the eye begins to keep it tight against the thimble. I used a sailmakers palm and needle and passed waxed twine around and then in/out of the line.

Do you need a thimble? Maybe, maybe not. If you will using a steel D ring or anything hard in the eye for any length of time, chafe will weaken the eye. If you are going to use it for line to line contact, no thimble is required.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
Making an eye splice around a thimble takes just a tad more time since you obviously need it tight against the thimble. When I made one of these, I would whip (stitch) the line where the eye begins to keep it tight against the thimble. I used a sailmakers palm and needle and passed waxed twine around and then in/out of the line.

Do you need a thimble? Maybe, maybe not. If you will using a steel D ring or anything hard in the eye for any length of time, chafe will weaken the eye. If you are going to use it for line to line contact, no thimble is required.
For an extension, I much prefer the tube style thimbles so I don't have to lock stitch or whip the line to close it to the thimble. If you use a tube thimble and load the line and tension it, that will set the splice and make it stay in play very well. More especially so if the thimble is closely sized to the line.

I suspect that isn't common knowledge except to those who undo splices to move thimbles around or shorten lines from damage and whatnot. You can readily undo a new splice with just your fingers. An older one that has been tensioned usually requires the use of a tool of some sort to dig the line out of the eye so you can pull it out of the splice and takes a little bit more work and you can easily tell it wasn't going anywhere.
johncanfield likes this.

I am Savvy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page