Extended Warranty - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Send a message via AIM to sylgeist
Extended Warranty

I bought the extended warranty on my 2006 Unlimited not realizing at the time that I would mod the heck out of it and void it. Does anyone have any reason why cancelling it would be bad? I figure I can get some/all? of the cash back to do some mods with.

Any flaws in my thinking?

06 LJ Ruby - 5.3/4L70, JKS/OME lift, Medic TT, JKS ACA's, BL, 35" KM2's, Shrockworks carrier, and Rokmen stuff!

Watch my V8 swap progress:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 08:36 PM

i have a simliar question too. i bought my rubi at the chevy dealership. it had the 3 year 36 thousand warranty, but i opted for the 6 year 100k miles gm backed warranty from date of purchase. should i ditch the gm warranty and just wait till the jeep warranty wears off and mod the hell out of it? or keep the gm warranty and mod away anyways?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Rubicus Maximus

This is to both of you ............

First of sll your warranty may not be void........... The dealer I got mind from has Rubicons that already have mods... lifts, tires, winchs, and more. So this is covered with both the Jeep 7/70,000 or the extended. I have already put mods on mind also have taken to the dealer and the only thing the guys say is Nice Jeep.
So maybe you should keep both your warrantys and go on with the MODS, Oh Ya here is a look at mind so you don't think
I am just talking.........HTH

06 Rubicon Unlimited
4" FT Ultimate Lift
33" MT/R Goodyears
Currie HD Steering
Skid Row Engine, Gas Tank, LCA Skids
Warn 8000, Steering Skid
Jeep Rockcrawler Front Bumper
Body Armor Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier/Rock Sliders

You Could Follow, but You Should'nt

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 09:52 AM
Rubi Noobie

Who decides

Who is the final decision maker if a extended warranty is void? Dealer? Can you try another dealer if one rejects it?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Rubi Wheeler

Send a message via Yahoo to woody5484
If you ever plan on selling or trading in, not sure why you would, keep it. A friend recently traded in a Dodge Ram and got almost 3500 for the existing warranty. I guess this is something the dealers take into account when figuring the value of a vehicle.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Rubi Wheeler

If you plan on doing more mods get rid of it and put the money towards the mods. When it comes down to it the will not cover much, they rarely cover much with factory warranty, you think extented will be any better with mods.

O5 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Edition #901
Nth 6" LA on Toyo 35's, UTurn, Swayloc
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 08:09 PM

in my opinion extended warranties are worthless because they will find some way to screw you over and say it was abuse or neglect and get out of it blah blah plus slim chance of major problems, they usually happen after 100k anyways - just my 2 cents
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Rubicus Maximus

I had an extended on mine with no issues (I had some doodads on mine ). If you bought it, keep it. The only time extended warranties are a waste is if you never use them. We've always used ours and come out a head by thousands on repairs. We always do the zero deductible.

Jeff
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Rubi Noobie

Re: Extended Warranty

I know from personal experiance with sport bikes and cars. Modding will not specifically void the warranty. I dont know if anyone has posted anything about the magnuson moss warranty act but you can do a serch on google and read up on it.

I had a 03 cbr600rr that I used as a track bike. I put after market suspension, wheels, sprockets, brakes and tons of other stuff. I am no racer so I really never took the bike to its 15000 redline I am a more average rider and take it easy on the track. After a year I started getting a knocking noise from the engine and took it in since I had the extended factory warranty. The dealership said no way warranty was void. I went home called my lawyer he told me about the mag moss act and I took some paper work to the dealership.

I had a 03 chevrolet zr2 and I put a 4 inch suspension lift, snorkel, after market exhaust and a few other things. Same thing happened but it was the ac on this vehicle. I took the same paper to that dealership.

Both cases the problems got fixed. They replaced the ac compressor on the truck and put in a new engine on the bike. Both cases non of the mods I did could have caused the problems.

A dealer has to prove that a particular part has caused the part your trying to get fixed to fail. They can not just say your warranty is void they have to prove it. That is where it takes the consumer to get in and get their hands dirty and fight for what they paid for.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Sarcastic Moderator

Re: Extended Warranty

I have had my heavily modded TJ (RELA, 6" airock, 35s) in for warranty work without any issues. In fact it is going in for a TC leak soon. It really depends on your dealer.

04 Patriot Blue TJ Rubi - 6" Airock, RELA, 4.88, 37s...
06 Black LJ Rubi - 4" Airock, 35s and my DD
06 Red LJ Rubi - 35s, LA and lots of offroady stuff

Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page