2018 JLU 7200 miles - power steering abruptly stopped - Rubicon Owners Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

2018 JLU 7200 miles - power steering abruptly stopped

First time Rubicon owner and poster here. Previously had a 2014 Sahara.

Purchased this 2018 JL model, manual transmission, 4 weeks ago from a Jeep dealership in Davenport, IA.
6200 miles on it at purchase.

Driving last night - 35 degrees out, taking a slow right turn, about 10-15 mph, and the power steering went out abruptly. Had there a car been stopped at the intersection, I would have crushed it. A mile later I turned the Jeep off, and back on - and power steering was restored.

I highly doubt I can recreate this for the service staff at the dealership. It's happened once in the last 1000 miles.

I've seen some threads on bulletins but no recall. Would appreciate any suggestions on how to with Jeep or the Jeep dealership near my home (which is not the dealer I purchased it from).

Anything else that I should be concerned about with the 2018 JL models in manual transmission?

Thank you and great to be here and looking forward to contribute moving forward!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2275.jpg (388.9 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 01:13 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Bo polite and describe your problem as best you can. Most dealerships want to help. If you don't get results then contact customer service, the 1-800 number is in your owners manual.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Garage
Welcome to ROF! I hate intermittent problems, I think now you know why it was for sale at 6200 miles. Consider running one of those dash cams that can look forward and backwards so maybe you can prove the existence of the problem.

I've had problems with a product and explained the problem to a dealer (or manufacturer in one case) and the routine answer is "we've never heard of that before..." Yeah, right.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 11:09 AM
Rubicus Maximus

There is a recall for your steering damper. They loose alignment on hard turns and can cause a feeling like this?
There is also a tsb for the power steering low assist. The tsb is for highway speeds but I would mention it.
BTW, welcome and nice Jeep.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 11:16 AM
Official WebWheeler

Garage
Does this JL have the new electric power steering pump?
johncanfield and WayWestJeep like this.

Lives in garage:

2004 Red Jeep TJ "X", big tires, suspension, stereo delete, dent in cowl.

1982 Red Jeep Scrambler, small block chevy on 35's.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Thank you so much for the helpful replies.

Question: If I want to formally complain about the power steering issue how do I ensure my complaint gets attached to the VIN and doesnít get lost? Through the dealership, or through Jeep, or other??

Jeff
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Garage
There should be an area service manager you can contact if it comes down to that. Maybe try another dealer? Mention the known issues from rlenglish's post to them.
[email protected] likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 10:27 AM
Rubicus Maximus

If you contact Jeep customer service a file is created and it is documented.
With anything you have a concern with, keep all your repair orders and document who you talk to, when, and what the conversation was.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 06:24 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

It might be helpful to leave the Jeep as stock as possible until they rectify this problem, that way it can't be blamed on any modifications you do to it.
johncanfield likes this.

The liver is evil, it must be punished.

2006 LJ Rubicon, 6 sp. 3.5/4 in. RE lift, Rockhard front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, ORO spare/dual jerry can carrier, Moab wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, 285/75R16 BFG KO2's, Misch overhead shelf, Black Box 2-way, Kenwood Excelon double din nav/cd/dvd/am/fm/sirius system, Rigid SideShooter front LED's, Warn winch, custom Viair OBA, Banks Cat-back exhaust
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Thank you for the replies everyone. I read them with great interest.

Again today, the power steering went out - same situation - making a slow right turn. Turn the Jeep off, then back on - and the power steering re-engaged just fine.

Thatís 2 times in 4 days.

Iíve contacted the dealership and @JeepCares and both have replied.
johncanfield likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page