2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mouse
  • 1 Post By aeroshots

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Wheeler

Iron Rock Lift Issues

Hello All,
Been awhile since I have visited here, but thought I would update y'all on the Iron Rock lift I put on my Jeep about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I was at Hollister Hills the end of June this year and the rear truss cracked into thirds, yes, thirds. Unfortunately, I had to have a buddt trailer me home about 45 mi. This is the first time in 30 years I couldn't make it home the way I got to the trail. I guess I have had some very good luck. Anyway, when the truss broke, it shifted the rearend rearward and it smashed both rear shocks, broke two hard brake lines, put a slight dent in the stock gas tank skid, cut the rear end locker wring in half and pulled the driveshaft apart. So, I call IR and they have a "lifetime" warranty on all their suspension parts. I tell them the issue and the first reply I get back is that I didn't have the correct welds on the truss. I ask them to send me the installation instructions, as I had thrown mine out and I wanted to re-read the instructions for what to weld on the truss. Come to find out, no where in the instructions did it say to weld the area that failed. They sent me a new truss, but no shocks. In fact, they have never ever sent me the right shocks from 1 1/2 yrs ago when i first installed the lift!!!! Needless to say, I email them EVERYDAY about the shocks. One day they are going to get tired of me being a thorn in their side, I hope and send me the correct shocks. I'm not betting my life on it, though, LOL. I got everything back together, welded the correct ares of the truss (which should have been done at IR to begin with) and the Jeep is back on the road. I ordered a few things that I had put off, also, like a CV rear driveshaft, better shocks and replaced one of the flexible brake lines. I'll try attaching some pics of the failed truss and of the new one and the welding that needed to be done originally. I thank God I wasn't driving down the highway when this happened. I had only been at Hollister for about 15 minutes before this happened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rons Jeep Failed Rear End Truss.jpg (266.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Rons.Jeep.New.Truss.Install Resized.jpg (23.0 KB, 39 views)

2006 LJ Rubicon
Dirtworx rear bumper/tire carrier
Barricade front bumper
Badlands 12K winch
6- round LED lights (4)
HID headlights
Rough Country hood prop
Cobra 75WXST CB
K40 antenna
7-way trailer connection w/brake controller
Powerstop slotted and drilled front brake kit
Superior chromoly front and rear axles
Iron Rock 6" L/A lift
Doetsch Tech and Pro Comp shocks
Iron Rock Over the Knuckle Steering
35" Nanking Mudders
XD wheels, 16x8
Magnaflow exhaust
Motive Gear 4.88 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 07:23 AM
Official WebWheeler

Garage
What thickness is the metal in the truss? The pictures make it look pretty thin. I would be adding some metal around the weak areas to beef it up and prevent another failure.
johncanfield likes this.

Lives in garage:

2004 Red Jeep TJ "X", big tires, suspension, stereo delete, dent in cowl.

1982 Red Jeep Scrambler, small block chevy on 35's.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 09:41 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
As my grandson said yesterday after learning we would be cleaning and packing all week end. "that's not goowd".

Looks a little thin to me too.
johncanfield likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Garage
Sounds like you were a beta tester for their truss . Good thing there was a trailer to haul out your Rubi, that's one of the reasons why we trailer ours.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 09:44 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
I know that there's some tough places at Hollister Hills SVRA, but I didn' know they could be that tough. LOL

Black 2003 Rubicon Set up how I want, with what I want, for how I use it. Just like everyone else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page