Mopar Add-A-Trunk - Rubicon Owners Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 03:20 PM

Mopar Add-A-Trunk

Product: Add-A-Trunk
Manuf: Mopar
Part NO: 82207700 (Dark Slate Gray), 82207701 (Khaki)
Source: Dealer
Price: $195.00

Description: An enclosure that fits between the back seat and the tailgate to provide a small amount of lockable storage space.

Parts and Pieces:

This Add-A-Trunk is made of heavy-duty plastic in two pieces: a stationary base that is fastened to the body tub between the wheel wells and a hinged top that serves a double purpose of the top of the enclosure and as an impromptu picnic table when flipped open.

Impressions:

Good: The Add-A-Trunk is a great convenience for me because I use my Jeep as a daily driver, and I run all summer with no top. This means there is always something I want to protect in a locked storage space. I have the dual top option, so I only use the Add-A-Trunk with the soft top or tonneau cover. This version of the Add-A-Trunk has significant improvements over the previous (2001) version.
1. The mounting points are in the same locations, two each side, but the new method is much stronger thant the previous. The captured nuts are fastened to the walls of the body tub by collapsing their metal jackets to attach them permanently (sort of like a pop-rivet).
2. The screws that are used to fasten the trunk in place are larger for greater strength and have knobs to make them easy to turn.
3. The mechanisms that latch the lid to the base are stronger and easier to operate. They can be released by feel and are self-centering to latch when the lid is pressed down.

Bad: The trunk space is very limited (about 2 cubic feet), but better than nothing. The new plastic that replaced the steel version is about 1/2 inch thick. This must use some of the available space.

Ugly: The instructions were terrible. Just drawings with no explanation. The procedure for mounting the captive nuts was totally indecipherable. A few words to explain the drawings would make a real difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 11:01 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

JUNK......Thats what I think it is....I have one and if I had been around for the buy I would not have got it put as part of my rubi package....I could cut through it with my K-BAR knife and pry open the top latches with it too...if your going to get aftermarked protection get somthing made of metal..pure junk molded plastic is all it is....In my humble opinion.lol
Pete

--Rubicon Pete--
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 11:37 AM

I have a metal one, too and I would not say it is any tougher. There really isn't any way to stop a determined thief. We are just trying to convince them to try elsewhere.

Dan

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 11:44 AM

its more of a deterant than a theft barrier. some thief may pass by because he cant SEE anything worth stealing and the noise created ripping it open isnt worth the risk to him. he may move onto another vehicle that he can actually see the loot inside. if he decides to gamble on what may or may not be in the insta-trunk, it will at least slow him down a few seconds and create some noise. that may give you enough time to rack the shotun and run outside to blow his knees out.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 11:48 AM

This is true....sorry if I sounded so negative...lol...
PeteM

--Rubicon Pete--
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 12:57 PM

thats true... it just keeps honest people honest. all someone has to do is zip off my windows That why a battery disconnect and hidden fuel switch is going in. as well as a plethera of tuffy components. expensive but worth protecting my investment!

Justin
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinRuby03
thats true... it just keeps honest people honest. all someone has to do is zip off my windows That why a battery disconnect and hidden fuel switch is going in. as well as a plethera of tuffy components. expensive but worth protecting my investment!

Justin
Yes Tuffy is a great investment for protection...my K-BAR definatley cant get through them...hahaha :moon:
Pete M

--Rubicon Pete--
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:22 PM
Rubi Noobie

Searched and this is only thread I've found... so digging it up from dead.

Did Mopar ever offer the Add a trunk for LJ's ?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Garage
Never heard of this product.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:47 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Wow, 2003! It is an old post John. It's older than my 2005 Jeep.
Norminator likes this.

MARK

2005 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #890

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page