Blast off - one week and counting - Rubicon Owners Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Red face Blast off - one week and counting

We're on our last week here in Texas before we can escape to Colorado and Utah. We're pointing the bus north next Saturday and should be at our campground south of Montrose in three days.

We will be at Centennial Campground for all of August, September, and the first couple of weeks of October. Then we head to Moab for a couple of weeks of wheeling, then we head west to St. George, UT for more wheeling.

We're usually gone by the time the trees start to turn in the San Juans so we're looking forward to the fall colors.

Look us up if in the area, we can go wheeling. I want to try that area west of Montrose with the big boy trails - forgot what that area is called.
mac, 87Warrior, SweetPee and 4 others like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 07:58 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Enjoy yourself John. Be careful and relish the hopefully cool weather.
johncanfield likes this.

Black 2003 Rubicon Set up how I want, with what I want, for how I use it. Just like everyone else.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 01:36 AM

Garage
John,

@97heep and myself should be coming into the San Juans from the Creede side the evening of the 10th with hopes of setting up camp around Ironton. It is our desire to run Black Bear and Imogene (or Ophir) the 11th, then hit the highway and make it to South Fork that evening. I know we would enjoy your company!

Also, my wife and I will probably head to the San Juans the first week of October to soak up the fall color. We did this for the first time last year and were blown away with the remarkable fall color.
johncanfield likes this.

Brett | KEĜEBF |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 02:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
We're on our last week here in Texas before we can escape to Colorado and Utah.....
Key word is "escape"! I did it for good two months ago
Looking forward to your, as always, awesome pics!

Safe travels John and Jane.
Mouse, BLACK RUBI and johncanfield like this.

My dogs name is Rubi
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Warrior View Post
John,

@97heep and myself should be coming into the San Juans from the Creede side the evening of the 10th with hopes of setting up camp around Ironton. It is our desire to run Black Bear and Imogene (or Ophir) the 11th, then hit the highway and make it to South Fork that evening. I know we would enjoy your company!

Also, my wife and I will probably head to the San Juans the first week of October to soak up the fall color. We did this for the first time last year and were blown away with the remarkable fall color.
Maybe we can hook up, that would be fun. I'm not crazy about running Black Bear, I have to concentrate too much . I'll be without Rubi for a couple of weeks at some point, Craig at Rockwerx is going to change my rear axle for a high pinion Rockjock 60 and four-link it. Shoot me a PM when you're in the area.
Mouse likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 11:01 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
I was just west of Montrose last weekend mountain biking in the Uncompahgre National Forest. It's beautiful out there.

One of the trails we did was called the Whole Uncalada which took us from the high alpines to the desert. It was very cool and I had no idea Montrose, CO had so much to offer. There were even Jeep roads we got to explor in a F150.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160721_193744-02_1469977133426.jpg (202.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20160721_182010-01_1469977174888.jpg (269.8 KB, 5 views)
mac, johncanfield and OLRubicon like this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 09:24 PM

Did Black Bear this am, about the same as it has been, always spectacular. Then did Imogene in the pm, rougher than ever, the utv's continue to tear up the trails. Panned for gold a bit around the Camp Bird level 2, no luck. Dang!

The liver is evil, it must be punished.

2006 LJ Rubicon, 6 sp. 3.5/4 in. RE lift, Rockhard front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, ORO spare/dual jerry can carrier, Moab wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, 285/75R16 BFG KO2's, Misch overhead shelf, Black Box 2-way, Kenwood Excelon double din nav/cd/dvd/am/fm/sirius system, Rigid SideShooter front LED's, Warn winch, custom Viair OBA, Banks Cat-back exhaust
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 05:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to mariodesmo
You guys are on my dream vacation, Jeeping in the San Juan mountains.
I was last there about 10 years ago, far too long... Need to plan a trip there next year.

I remember the afternoon "showers" that hit the high country area. I was in Silverton one afternoon when it started to come down. I ran across the street and was soaked! I mean completely soaked in the time it took me to run across a what, 50' wide street? The "rain drops" looked to be the size of a golf ball!

Enjoy the trip, that's surely God's country!
mac, 87Warrior, Mouse and 1 others like this.

'02 TJ Sport, ARB's, 4.88s, NV241, Nth 6in LA, D44's, 35in KM2's, rear discs, Antirocks,
Warn XD9000i, Superior Evolution, and caught fire only once, N7YMZ
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 02:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariodesmo View Post
.....that's surely God's country!
I was told Texas is "God's country". The eight years I involuntarily lived there I just didn't see it.
Went for a little drive today just to get out... Sure wasn't Texas. Even saw an American Bald Eagle.
Not trying to highjack John...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6235.jpg (348.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6239.jpg (426.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6250.jpg (368.5 KB, 2 views)

My dogs name is Rubi

Last edited by geroux; 08-03-2016 at 02:09 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 08:09 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geroux View Post
I was told Texas is "God's country". The eight years I involuntarily lived there I just didn't see it.
Went for a little drive today just to get out... Sure wasn't Texas. Even saw an American Bald Eagle.
Not trying to highjack John...
Beautiful views for sure. San Antonio is the pits in my opinion as is Houston, Dallas, and the many other major cities. I don't find Austin that attractive either. However, Amarillo or about 30min outside is just beautiful so is Kerrville and other parts of the hill country, and Big Bend region. It's a different climate than the northwest with the higher elevations and green forests.

What hurts Texas, and it's a double sided sword, is that the majority of the state is private land. While this is nice for people who want to own land and have their own slice of country side it limits land for recreational use. In other parts of the country there are lush national forests and parks that people can hunt on for a small fee while in Texas it's 99% private land and you pay a large sum to hunt it. Texas has its down falls but I think those that see it as God's land these days are those that are from it. There are a lot of freedoms in Texas that other states don't have but there are a lot of limitations as well.

I say live where it best suites you. I've lived in Texas for over 30 years now and have visited a lot of this country and the world. I love Texas but for the things I enjoy doing when I am not working, Texas is just too limited. Mountain biking and Jeeping in Texas is very limited and having to take 2 extra days off when taking trips just to account for drive times sucks. Eventually I'll leave but I have a feeling that when I get closer to retirement I'll end up coming back and finding 10-20 acres in the hill country to settle down and finish out my days. Guy, it sucks to hear that you had such a bad experience in Texas, living in San Antonio I can understand it. It's great though to see you found a place of peace and your own slice of earthly heaven!

Back on Topic: @johncanfield you going to be able to join @87Warrior and I for Black Bear Pass or some other trails in the San Juans?

Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page