Silverton 2016 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Silverton 2016

Hello All, my wife and I will be in Silverton starting July 19th and Jeeping the San Juans thru the first week of August. Been going there for 20 years or so, love the trails and scenery. PM me if you would like to meet up for some runs. Probably will be running on 146.550 Mhz.
mac, 87Warrior and Desert Dog like this.

The liver is evil, it must be punished.

2006 LJ Rubicon, 6 sp. 3.5/4 in. RE lift, Rockhard front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, ORO spare/dual jerry can carrier, Moab wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, 285/75R16 BFG KO2's, Misch overhead shelf, Black Box 2-way, Kenwood Excelon double din nav/cd/dvd/am/fm/sirius system, Rigid SideShooter front LED's, Warn winch, custom Viair OBA, Banks Cat-back exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 11:50 PM
Official WebWheeler

You won't find better trail guides than Katswuy and the Mrs. The history I learned running with them in 2009 and 2010 was awesome!.

Doug
SOLD: 2012 JKU-R COD MW3: Teraflex 1" lift/leveling springs, AEV front bumper with Warn 9.5 ctis, that is all.
SOLD: '04 Rubicon: 4 spd auto, 3.5" RE SF, JKS BL, 1" BMML, BFG MT 33s on steelies, sPOD, Jeep Medic TT and eng. skid, Rockhard cage and rear bumper, and some other paraphernalia
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Garage
We'll be there around 1 August for six weeks or so but will probably miss you for wheeling. We're supposed to be getting Rockwerx in Montrose to replace the rear axle with a Rock Jock 60 so Rubi might be a garage queen for a while.

(we stay at Centennial RV park south of Montrose.)
Desert Dog likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 10:04 PM

Garage
I think @97heep and I will be passing through that area around 8/10 or so. Once again, it looks like I will just miss you @katswuy

@johncanfield I'm sure Chris and I wouldn't mind some company down Black Bear

Brett | KEĜEBF |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Garage
Black Bear - only did that in reverse a few years ago. I think I heard that really narrow spot has been a tad improved, I'll have to ask my Montrose buddies when we get there.
Desert Dog likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Doug, thanks for the nice comments, wish you were coming this year. Sorry we will miss the other repliers, planning a great trip this year. There is going to be a very interesting presentation of the San Juan Mining History at the town hall on Friday, July 22nd at 7 PM that I will not miss. Also, just received my Colorado Onyx Hunt Map for my Garmin, it included names for all the mines, so now when we pass a mine on the trails I will be able to look up the history of it. We will also be doing an easy hike starting north of the Sound Democrat Mill along the Gold Prince tram route to a restored boarding house. Then to the angle station ruins/foundation of the tram. This is where the tram cables changed direction from the mine site to the mill site down in Animas Forks. I plan on doing a long day trip from Silverton, over Cinnamon Pass, then to the Carson townsite, then over the Continental Divide, past Heart Lake, Pearl Lakes and out to Hiway 149 south to visit Creede. Great mining museum there I have heard. Then back up 149 to Lake City, then over Engineer Pass. I would like to arrive there about sundown for some possibly great photos. Then down to Animas Forks and Silverton. Little known fact: Due west of the pit toilet at Animas Forks, up the hill lies the remains of the Silver Coin Mine. Got to get up there this year. Ahhh, the list goes on....and the temp here in Brawley is consistently hitting 110. Yep, we are experiencing a cooling trend, it was only 92 degrees this AM at 6. The mountains will be nice!!!

2006 LJ Rubicon, 6 sp. 3.5/4 in. RE lift, Rockhard front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, ORO spare/dual jerry can carrier, Moab wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, 285/75R16 BFG KO2's, Misch overhead shelf, Black Box 2-way, Kenwood Excelon double din nav/cd/dvd/am/fm/sirius system, Rigid SideShooter front LED's, Warn winch, custom Viair OBA, Banks Cat-back exhaust
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 04:19 PM
Rubi Crawler

Garage
Suggest you do a side trip to Corkscrew turntable. Not quite visible from cork screw gulch trail.
Still waiting for Blackbear to open on the west side. Maybe this weekend??
East side has been open for weeks except for the gully at the top, which means use the go around to get to the top.
Mud was not to bad.
PaulW
johncanfield likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, we always do the hike to the turntable. I left a glass jar there several years ago with the engineering study by Gibbs who designed it along with pictures and other info. It lasted for several years before it got broke, hoping to replace it this year. Thanks for the Black Bear update, that trip up that gully is always good for a few flexy pictures coming up the cascade .
Desert Dog likes this.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 09:50 PM
Rubi Crawler

Garage
Update Just got a report Blackbear was opened this afternoon after the construction equipment used for the water line was removed from below Bridalveil falls. 7/13/16
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:12 AM
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by katswuy View Post
Oh yeah, we always do the hike to the turntable. I left a glass jar there several years ago with the engineering study by Gibbs who designed it along with pictures and other info. It lasted for several years before it got broke, hoping to replace it this year. Thanks for the Black Bear update, that trip up that gully is always good for a few flexy pictures coming up the cascade .
Where would one find the Corkscrew turntable??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page