Moab in August - Rubicon Owners Forum
 12Likes
  • 3 Post By squinko
  • 2 Post By johncanfield
  • 1 Post By DAA
  • 1 Post By squinko
  • 1 Post By rlenglish
  • 2 Post By DAA
  • 2 Post By squinko
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium
 
squinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pinetop, AZ
Posts: 309
Garage
Moab in August

I will be passing through Moab and plan to hang out a while. I will be there from August 7-15. If anyone is planning on being in the area post up. I would love to meet up and do some wheeling.

Benny.
mac, DAA and johncanfield like this.

2015 JKUR with stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
squinko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:29 AM
Administrator
 
johncanfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 10,333
Garage
Make sure your AC is working well!
mac and Desert Dog like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
johncanfield is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 05:20 PM
DAA
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium
 
DAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: West Bountiful, UT
Posts: 1,308
I'll be passing through then too. Twice. But not stopping . Well, maybe for lunch. Maybe.

I still love the country surrounding Moab and the trails and the wheeling. But I can't stand that town anymore. Which is sad. At one time, 20 - 30 years ago, that's where I hoped to retire to. Place is not even recognizable now compared to back then though. Don't even like driving through the town anymore and generally try to spend as little time as possible in it.

- DAA
johncanfield likes this.

'06 Silver Rubi Unlimited, 6 spd, Currie arms, Nth springs, AEV Highline, 35" KM2's.
DAA is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium
 
squinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pinetop, AZ
Posts: 309
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
Make sure your AC is working well!
I would go later but that's when we are passing through on our way to Ouray, CO. Colorado will be nice. We plan to stay there for a couple weeks. I saw we just missed your trip to Silverton. I hope to get a little wheeling in early then chill by the pool in the afternoon!
johncanfield likes this.

2015 JKUR with stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
squinko is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium
 
squinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pinetop, AZ
Posts: 309
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post
I'll be passing through then too. Twice. But not stopping . Well, maybe for lunch. Maybe.

I still love the country surrounding Moab and the trails and the wheeling. But I can't stand that town anymore. Which is sad. At one time, 20 - 30 years ago, that's where I hoped to retire to. Place is not even recognizable now compared to back then though. Don't even like driving through the town anymore and generally try to spend as little time as possible in it.

- DAA
Yeah it has changed a lot over the years. I like going during the off peak times. Last year a group of us went up in February. It was crazy cold, but we had the place to ourselves pretty much. August isn't so bad as long as you get out early. Still cooler than Phoenix where we are from.

2015 JKUR with stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
squinko is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 11:54 PM
Rubicus Maximus
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: B.C. Canada
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by squinko View Post
Yeah it has changed a lot over the years. I like going during the off peak times. Last year a group of us went up in February. It was crazy cold, but we had the place to ourselves pretty much. August isn't so bad as long as you get out early. Still cooler than Phoenix where we are from.
We go in late October. Nice small town atmosphere. We walk everywhere and go wherever we want. When I hear that people don't like it anymore I can only assume they go in peak time or a holiday. I can imagine what summer long weekends are like.
johncanfield likes this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
rlenglish is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 08:12 AM
DAA
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium
 
DAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: West Bountiful, UT
Posts: 1,308
I have actually been there in August dozens of times. That's bowhunting season and I spent 10 days bowhunting deer and elk in the La Sals every year for 25 years. Until they just got to the point of not being worth going to anymore. SxS machines and logging just decimated those once majestic mountains. Last time I was up in them, almost ten years ago now, I felt like Iron Eyes Cody. Just wanted to cry.

But I have been in Moab all months of the year. Many, many times. November through Feb. is the best time, in my opinion.

We did a long Moab wheeling weekend in August two years ago, was just when we all could go. I knew it would be crowded just because of how few options there were for a hotel room to fit my whole family. Turned out it was packed wall to wall with Chinese and European tourists. Had a couple waiters and waitresses practically jump for joy when we spoke English. Nobody out on the trails though, which was nice.

I wouldn't expect the heat to be much of an issue for anyone from Phoenix .

We're just passing through coming and going to one of our favorite camping spots a few hours out of Moab this time.

- DAA
johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

'06 Silver Rubi Unlimited, 6 spd, Currie arms, Nth springs, AEV Highline, 35" KM2's.
DAA is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium
 
squinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pinetop, AZ
Posts: 309
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post
I have actually been there in August dozens of times. That's bowhunting season and I spent 10 days bowhunting deer and elk in the La Sals every year for 25 years. Until they just got to the point of not being worth going to anymore. SxS machines and logging just decimated those once majestic mountains. Last time I was up in them, almost ten years ago now, I felt like Iron Eyes Cody. Just wanted to cry.

But I have been in Moab all months of the year. Many, many times. November through Feb. is the best time, in my opinion.

We did a long Moab wheeling weekend in August two years ago, was just when we all could go. I knew it would be crowded just because of how few options there were for a hotel room to fit my whole family. Turned out it was packed wall to wall with Chinese and European tourists. Had a couple waiters and waitresses practically jump for joy when we spoke English. Nobody out on the trails though, which was nice.

I wouldn't expect the heat to be much of an issue for anyone from Phoenix .

We're just passing through coming and going to one of our favorite camping spots a few hours out of Moab this time.

- DAA
Sounds good. Have a great trip!!
johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

2015 JKUR with stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
squinko is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Colorado and Moab in August or Septmber? Melmo West of the Mississippi 17 09-16-2011 02:57 AM
Feeler for Moab during late July/early August Kehyler West of the Mississippi 14 06-17-2009 12:35 AM
GOING TO MOAB IN AUGUST...NEED HELP/ADVISE blackruby2412 Event Photos, Trip Reports, Camping and Expedition area 26 02-15-2007 09:47 AM
MOAB August 5-9... blackruby2412 West of the Mississippi 0 02-13-2007 04:40 PM
Moab August 21-22 mumbles West of the Mississippi 8 08-10-2004 04:30 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome