Silverton 2018 - Page 4 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Also Smedley's Suites, or for home rentals contact Nicole at Silvertonpropertymanagement.com

The liver is evil, it must be punished.

2006 LJ Rubicon, 6 sp. 3.5/4 in. RE lift, Rockhard front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, ORO spare/dual jerry can carrier, Moab wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, 285/75R16 BFG KO2's, Misch overhead shelf, Black Box 2-way, Kenwood Excelon double din nav/cd/dvd/am/fm/sirius system, Rigid SideShooter front LED's, Warn winch, custom Viair OBA, Banks Cat-back exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 12:57 AM
Rubi Wheeler

Thank you katswuy for suggestions. Lodging is finalized, we will be there from 28th July to 2nd August. Now to fix some stuff on the jeep and figure out hauling options. We drove the jeep to Ouray around 5 years back, never again especially on a tight schedule.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 01:39 AM
Rubicus Maximus

I'll be heading to Durango around the last part of July, our first trip in the 2014 JKUR. We will be running with the JEO Jeep group and start out at Durango and then head up to Ouray.

A couple of us are doing a tour at Mesa Verde cliff dwelling ruins and the next day do the train to Silverton before hitting the trails. We are taking the train car with the folk that take on a historical figure and give informational talks. I might take a flask along and portray a wild eyed miner with hopes of striking it rich

We will then meet up with the Jeep group to run the jeep trails for 5 days. The JKUR Jeep I have came with elecrtic actuated aluminum steps A good mall crawler add on but they can't take a rock hit Looking to change them out to the rock sliders with steps in the near future.

Some of us are camping at the KOH at Durango and Ouray. Most of these overlanders have Roof Top Tents. I still am ground camping but probably will have a rack and RTT by August to do the Heart of the West. I'll be giving you guys a report on our return.
johncanfield likes this.

2005 Rubicon

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by katswuy View Post
.... The waitress haughtily informed me that "We don't serve Coor's Light here". Try a pasty at Eureka Station in Silverton.
LOL - that pretty much sums up the persona of Telluride.
katswuy and Desert Dog like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 09:52 AM
Rubi Crawler

Garage
Sierrabob, Your actuated step should survive what CO has to offer. Not to many obstacles would be something you cannot avoid with careful driving.
For camping in the Silverton area Golden Horn up Mineral creek is good with Forest service permanent maintained out house. Also we use Eureka campground on the main road north of Silverton. Porta-potties are numerous and maintained. Reservations needed at Eureka. The public out houses nearby are to be avoided due to overuse and lack pf maint. Your overlander buddies would like both campgrounds. I avoid camping near Ouray, just a preference, we use a hotel there.
I have a tall TJUR and I use Rock Slide steps and have never had them touch any rocks. I am both a tent camper or pull a small travel trailer, depending to the duration of the trip.
BTW, the fire area between Durango and Silverton (called Hermosa) has most all the trails closed, but the Silverton area is not affected with closures.
Have a good trip.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Talking

I carry small boxes of baking soda, when using one of the pit toilets dump the contents of the box in first, then spray some PooPourie in. Then you have a pit toilet that smells like a rotten flower!!
johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

The liver is evil, it must be punished.

2006 LJ Rubicon, 6 sp. 3.5/4 in. RE lift, Rockhard front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, ORO spare/dual jerry can carrier, Moab wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, 285/75R16 BFG KO2's, Misch overhead shelf, Black Box 2-way, Kenwood Excelon double din nav/cd/dvd/am/fm/sirius system, Rigid SideShooter front LED's, Warn winch, custom Viair OBA, Banks Cat-back exhaust
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Garage
Some of those pit toilets are gross, I usually find a handy tree.
Desert Dog and sierrabob like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page