Catskills Jamboree - Rubicon Owners Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Crawler

Catskills Jamboree

Anyone else going to this next week? It will be my first time taking the Jeep offroad in anything other than sand. I had hoped to get a trip or two to Rausch Creek in before hand but wasn't able to make it happen.

A few questions from a noob:

Oil will be changed next week, I have approximately 23,000 miles on the Jeep, should I change the differential and transmission fluids (2014 manual)? Is it a big deal if I can't get it done in the next week?

I have everything required by Jeep Jamboree, plus a winch, masterflow compressor, decent amount of hand tools, first aid kit. Spare parts aren't likely going to be something I carry due to cost and time constraints. I'll try to pick up some fluids to bring over the weekend. Any other recommendations?

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

I've been several times, not going this year. You should have a great time, good group of people up there.

I wouldn't worry too much about not changing those fluids before the trip or carrying a bunch of spare parts. If you do happen to break they do their best to help you get back up and running again. In the past OK4WD has been there with parts and the Jeep dealer has been available during the event.
hhjester likes this.

Chris

2005 Sahara LJ
Savvy Mid Arm
AtoZ Full Weld in Cage
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Garage
What Chris said. I wheel my LJ hard (4+ trails usually) several times a year for several days at a time and I only change fluids once a year in the winter (all fluids!) Unless you start wheeling your rig several times a year, I would stick to the regular service interval.

You'll have fun at the Jamboree, I don't know what your wheeling experience is but if you are a fairly new wheeler the Jamborees are a great way to build your skills.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Crawler

Thanks for the replies. I'm really looking forward to finally testing the Jeep out. I'm sure it will excel, how I do is another story. I know the Jamboree usually has some mechanics on hand plus plenty of experienced Jeepers. I think I'm most worried about my clutch, hopefully 4lo will take some strain off it.

I plan on taking it fairly easy, they rate the trails on a 1-10 scale, with this trip being rated 5-9. I'll probably stick with 5&6's. I'm looking for fun with a few challenges but relatively safe trails. If all goes well on Friday maybe I'll step up to a 7 or 8 on Saturday.

Dan
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 07:06 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

Out on the trails in 4lo you really wont be shifting, it takes some time to learn but you'll find the gear needed for the obstacle and you can tend to keep it there. Also, in 4lo you wont need the clutch to start the Jeep. I was taught that if you're not stalling some of the time on obstacles then you're probably using the clutch too much. You'll be amazed on how it crawls through obstacles in 4lo without stalling.

The guides should steer you right at trail sign ups, but I will say that the higher rated trails there are rather challenging (even more so if it's wet out). I've had fun there on all levels of trails. There's little challenges on each of them. None are just a simple trail ride, especially when you're just starting out.

Chris

2005 Sahara LJ
Savvy Mid Arm
AtoZ Full Weld in Cage

Last edited by Sahara0643; 09-10-2015 at 07:49 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Garage
Not sure about mechanics being available but we've found the trail guides in general to be extremely capable and will never leave a stranded Jeep, they will get you back if necessary. However trail breakdowns are relatively rare, especially with well maintained vehicles so no worries there.

Chris brings up an excellent point about clutch operation - a manual tranny does add a bit to the off-road learning curve. There was one fairly new wheeler with me at a Jamboree a few years ago with a manual. He got so frustrated with stalling out on obstacles he swore he was going to sell and buy an auto version. He got a bit frustrated on a couple of obstacles, and then things went downhill from there - I really felt sorry for the guy.

A few trail tips for you:

- Line up at least 30 minutes before the listed departure time - even if the trail leader isn't there. You do not want to be at the rear of a 15-20 Jeep convoy.

- Keep the guy in front and the guy in back in sight. If you can't see the guy in the back, just stop and announce you are stopped (on the CB) waiting for the Jeep. You will find many ignore this etiquette either out of ignorance or they could care less about who's behind them.

- If you come to an intersection, make sure the guy behind sees which way you turn.

- Know the name of the guy in front and in back of you - makes it easier if you need to talk to them on the CB ("hey Rufus - where are you?")

- Know how many Jeeps you are behind the trail leader - if you need to talk to the leader you can say "I'm #5 behind the leader", this helps the leader figure out where you are located.

- If you come to an obstacle, need a spot and there are no guides there, announce on the CB you need a spot. Be very careful about letting somebody spot you that's not a guide (and that you do not know) - they might be clueless and cause you grief with a wrong line. If in doubt, GET OUT AND LOOK for yourself.

- Watch the guy in front of you - you will soon discover if they know what they are doing in short order. If they are a smooth driver, follow their track, if not then you know what doesn't work.

- Anticipate when you need to be in 4-low and do it before an obstacle. Sometimes I'm in 4-low for most if not all of a trail, obstacles or not. Less of a load on the engine with aired down tires. With a manual tranny, you might not need to be in 4-low as much as with an auto version.

- Speaking of aired down - go as low as you can with your wheels. With stock wheels you should be able to go 10-12 pounds.

- Always start out with a full tank of fuel (there are exceptions, but for wheeling in a new area, full tank every day is the rule.)

That's all I can think of for now. Relax and have fun - the event people will work hard to see that you have a good time.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Crawler

Thanks guys, great advice. I had been thinking I would use 4lo more than necessary if I was having issues stalling. I'm going to keep reminding myself it will be more embarrassing to burn out my clutch than stall.

John, great info on lining up and how to act in a convoy. I never would have thought to keep track of my place in line. I had planned on observing the Jeep in front of me very closely. I hope it's someone who knows his stuff.

I have AEV wheels with Goodyear MTR tires, I had been figuring on 12-15 psi. Do you think they can handle 10?

Dan
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Garage
I would start out with 12 pounds and see how the tires/wheels behave, then you could try 11 pounds, and then 10 pounds. I suspect one factor is the particular tire - some might be able to hold a bead better than others. For a long time I was running MT/R Kevlar and could run 10 pounds on the stock Moab wheels (the MT/R is a great all around tire - good on the highway and good off-road.)

Speaking of the MT/R - the tread can get packed up with mud, wet sand, etc. (like a lot of others I suspect) and I've found they don't self-clear very fast. So if you're wheeling in those conditions be aware of that - try to avoid wet ground if possible.

The only time I've had to be strapped up an obstacle was when the MT/R treads got packed with wet sand - that was the end of even trying to go up on my own. Even at the end of the trail the tread still hadn't cleared completely but at least the tires were dry. I switched to Nitto Trail Grapplers which have more space between tread blocks.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 11:31 AM
Rubi Bad Ass

So how was the trip?

Chris

2005 Sahara LJ
Savvy Mid Arm
AtoZ Full Weld in Cage
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Crawler

Hey all, sorry I didn't update. I've been inactive on here for a few various reasons, but I'm back. The Jamboree was great. Did an easier trail the first day, we had 2 stock JKURs that handled everything. The second day we did Hummel Hollow for anyone who knows the Jamboree, it was significantly more challenging than day 1, but I wouldn't necessarily call it hard. The weather had been extremely dry which made for favorable conditions A stock TJR did the entire trail and only needed help over one obstacle.

I learned the expensive way that if I'm not sure what to do next I need to ask for a spotter. The only section that had mud was on the side of a hill. The trail required you to navigate uphill around a tree then downhill around a boulder. I made it past the tree no problem, but couldn't figure out what to do after that. I backed up to get a better angle to go around the boulder, which brought back next to the tree (you can see where this is heading). Of course as soon as I started forward again the Jeep slid sideways downhill in the mud and put my driver's door right into the tree. It took my winch and the winch on the Jeep behind me with a snatch block to pull me off. Lesson learned.

Overall I loved it. I signed up for it again this year, as well as the spring Coal Mountain Jamboree. The Jamborees are definitely a great experience, they can handle newbies and experts alike.

Pictures and videos will follow soon.

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page