my front led fix - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Crawler

my front led fix

I don't know if this has already been addressed but here goes. like so many other people wanting all LED on their heeps I ran into a roadblock on the front marker/turn signals. The problem of course is the mopar floating ground. I knew if I could overcome the side marker wig-wag switching ground I would have it made. What I found was non polarized 194 LED bulbs. No more problems with the floating ground. The bulbs are made by Jam Strait and are a lot more expensive than standard led bulbs ($22 pair).
As for the hyperflash I did the radiocrap/stu offroad micro relay inside the OEM flasher and it works great.
Bottom line, now my heep has no incandescent bulbs. The instrument panel is all red led, interior lights are white, headlites are trucklites.

'03 Silver Rubicon,Durango Bumpers,JKS disco's,Warn skids,trans cooler,Garmin GPS,and a really cool bobble head dog.My 3rd jeep and I am not parting with this one!I think I said that about my FJ40 too.(I still have the FJ40 after 36 years now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
This is really interesting cause I tried swapping out my front turn indicator lights to LED's but I had issues that would cause them to register as burnt out and flash rapidly even with the LED relay already installed. I have LED lights in the rear. Are these the lights you got or can you provide a little more information?

https://www.jamstrait.com/index.php?...ory&path=58_77

https://www.jamstrait.com/index.php?...product_id=187

Thanks for the post by the way

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Crawler

194SW is what I used for the corner wig-wag lights.https://www.jamstrait.com/index.php?...ory&path=58_77
I used 3157 LEDs from Amazon for the front turn signal/marker
Amazon Amazon
because of size constraints
I also tried different turn signal flashers and found the stock flasher with the relay mod worked the best. The second best flasher is this one, the ep470, the ep26 has limited function and the ep27 will blow fuses
Amazon Amazon

'03 Silver Rubicon,Durango Bumpers,JKS disco's,Warn skids,trans cooler,Garmin GPS,and a really cool bobble head dog.My 3rd jeep and I am not parting with this one!I think I said that about my FJ40 too.(I still have the FJ40 after 36 years now)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 07:35 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Send a message via AIM to apexkw
Hows the brightness level compared to the OEM bulbs?

-03- Rubi Intense blue with Aev, Rokmen, BlackMagicBRakes Super 16, Hutchinson goodies & a hemi sitting in the garage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-08- Yamaha R6 Graves everything,..titanium and carbon fiber oh my
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Crawler

A lot brighter/more visible. The bulbs I used have 4 leds

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:18 PM
Rubi Noobie

I know I'm late to the party, but...

Recently (within the past month) used Quadratec's plug and play rear LED light replacements on my 2004. Comes with an LED rated flasher. Install went perfectly, rear lights worked as advertised. (Great customer service from Quadratec on a small wrinkle with the first set, OBTW!)

Now like you all trying to LED up the front turns. I too bought LED turns and side marker bulbs from Amazon that all indications were would work. They do not (depending on whether running/headlamps are on. When off they flash, when headlamps on they are on steady...no flash.)

Searched many other sites and found numerous "fixes" all with some drawback or other (dash lights turn signal indicators on dim, etc.) but this is the first forum to recommend the ep470 as the correct flasher to use.

Before I sink more money, does anyone else have any experiences with the ep470 and other LED bulbs that are 100% sure the correct combination that works 100% of the time?

Thanks everybody.

--TimberGhost sends
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Garage
I bought my LED flasher on one of the major Jeep aftermarket upgrade websites - forgot if it was GenRight .. now that I think about it it was GenRight. Check them.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page