Riddler Diff Covers Test Video - Taken to it's limits. - Page 2 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Re: Riddler Diff Covers Test Video - Taken to it's limits.

You guys had altogether too much fun making that video. But you know what they say...Too much is never enough!

'04 Lt Khaki Rubi w/ a few mods
Check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Re: Riddler Diff Covers Test Video - Taken to it's limits.

Dana 60's now available - $137.99 shipped
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 02:12 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Yeah yeah..... Old thread etc...

I know what I'm buying for diff covers after watching this. Cool!

Chris
2006 LJ turbo

- safety first..... Or at least top 4... -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Garage
Rokmen made some excellent how-to videos - got me started on my upgrades.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 07:56 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
I would like to see a side by side comparison with this -and all the others-with the stock cover.

Frank!

05 Rubicon LJ #009 Sahara slightly modified
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
I would like to see a side by side comparison with this -and all the others-with the stock cover.
I know of at least 4 front axles that were destroyed and repaired and although repaired, were never quite the same and eventually needed replaced.

I killed a front HP 44 and cracked the diff casting on the long side that the tube presses into in a sub 15 mph collision with a rock that stopped the rig cold. It hit on the lower corner of the diff.

I killed a Currie HP 9" housing and broke the axle tube in half through the weld where it attaches to the pumpkin. I repaired it and a few years later did it again.

I have been on the trail with 2 others in similar fashion.

What I learned from all that was if you need a diff cover that strong to protect your ring gear from damage, it really won't matter because the impact will ruin something else.

Pay attention to the HP 9 comments, I ruined that housing with no thicker than the equivalent of a 3/16" thick diff cover.
I ruined the HP 44 with a Barnett cover in place.

The others I've seen were not running heavy cast covers due to clearance issues. Just a Barnett or similar. That and I don't know of a single incident were the caving in of the stock cover ruined anything. The worst that will happen is you wear a hole in the cover from the ring gear spinning against it. But, anyone who has worked steel with a hammer knows that it is very hard to beat steel over against something and have it stay tight to it without heat.
Stinger likes this.

I am Savvy
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 09:34 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
A dead stop at 15 MPH must have rattled the fillings!

I know the video was partially marketing but I like it anyway. I'm worried about peeling a diff cover on a rock or poking a hole in one and pretty much any aftermarket cover would prevent that I'm guessing.

Chris
2006 LJ turbo

- safety first..... Or at least top 4... -
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 10:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I know of at least 4 front axles that were destroyed and repaired and although repaired, were never quite the same and eventually needed replaced.

I killed a front HP 44 and cracked the diff casting on the long side that the tube presses into in a sub 15 mph collision with a rock that stopped the rig cold. It hit on the lower corner of the diff.

I killed a Currie HP 9" housing and broke the axle tube in half through the weld where it attaches to the pumpkin. I repaired it and a few years later did it again.

I have been on the trail with 2 others in similar fashion.

What I learned from all that was if you need a diff cover that strong to protect your ring gear from damage, it really won't matter because the impact will ruin something else.

Pay attention to the HP 9 comments, I ruined that housing with no thicker than the equivalent of a 3/16" thick diff cover.
I ruined the HP 44 with a Barnett cover in place.

The others I've seen were not running heavy cast covers due to clearance issues. Just a Barnett or similar. That and I don't know of a single incident were the caving in of the stock cover ruined anything. The worst that will happen is you wear a hole in the cover from the ring gear spinning against it. But, anyone who has worked steel with a hammer knows that it is very hard to beat steel over against something and have it stay tight to it without heat.

I have always figured these things were as benificisl as a snorkel

Frank!

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Garage
I have an ARB cover in the front (used to have one in the rear but no need now due to the high pinion Dana 60) and I see just two advantages of the ARB (can't speak to the others) - it has a dipstick which is really really handy if you have rotated the rear axle. Number two benefit is if you do hit the ARB cover, it is unlikely to break the RTV or gasket seal. I used to have problems with my OEM covers weeping fluid after even a minor bump.
Stinger likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 11:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
I have an ARB cover in the front (used to have one in the rear but no need now due to the high pinion Dana 60) and I see just two advantages of the ARB (can't speak to the others) - it has a dipstick which is really really handy if you have rotated the rear axle. Number two benefit is if you do hit the ARB cover, it is unlikely to break the RTV or gasket seal. I used to have problems with my OEM covers weeping fluid after even a minor bump.

Cant remember the name for the life of me but I used that reusable gasket for both front and rear. No leaks, no seeps.

Frank!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page