Rust Removal/Rust Proofing - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Rust Removal/Rust Proofing

Spent a good 5 hours today removing surface rust from the Rubicon and rust proofing it with Chassis Saver. Did a lot of research and most professionals recommended Chassis Saver over POR-15. It was a lot of work but it turned out nice. Sorry for the after pictures but I had already changed and didn't want to get that stuff on me.

2005 Rubicon, 3.5" Lift

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 07:59 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Looks much better in the after pics. Salt sure does a job on undersides huh?

Black 2003 Rubicon Set up how I want, with what I want, for how I use it. Just like everyone else.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
I know, it's ridiculous. The Jeep is only 10 years old and the under body had a lot of surface rust. The Chassis Saver was $44 for a quart but it went a long way.

Thanks,
Doug

2005 Rubicon, 3.5" Lift

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 11:21 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Nice work. Hmm, Chassis Saver... I used to use Ospho when I was in Florida 20 years ago. Guess I need to get on the program if I need to treat rust again.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Here's their website.

http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp

2005 Rubicon, 3.5" Lift

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 08:30 AM
Rubi Bad Ass

Garage
What is this rust you speak of? Just kidding, I live in the Southwest and have bare metal parts in/on my Jeep without a spot of rust. In the future I will have the parts coated...but it isn't on the "must do" list yet as it is for you folks in snow country.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Oscar Mike, I envy you living where rust isn't a problem, but then again when I visited Las Vegas several years ago I thought I was going to die from the heat. It was 100 all week! That ole saying it's a dry heat is BS! Fire is a dry heat too

2005 Rubicon, 3.5" Lift

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 09:22 AM
Rubi Bad Ass

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxley View Post
Oscar Mike, I envy you living where rust isn't a problem, but then again when I visited Las Vegas several years ago I thought I was going to die from the heat. It was 100 all week! That ole saying it's a dry heat is BS! Fire is a dry heat too
Yes, we have about 4 months of heat every year, about 6 months of spring like weather, and about 2 months of mild winter.

The heat sucks for sure, that's why we head to the Oregon Coast every July for a few weeks. Then in August we head North to the mountains for a couple of weeks.

In the Desert Southwest you learn in the summer time to live from air conditioned space to your air conditioned car, back to your air conditioned space.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Garage
I used POR-15 and Chassis Black on Rubi's bumpers and in spite of thorough prep according to directions, I've had some of it flake off. I think I would have had just as good performance with primer and a rattle can enamel. I've used Ospho for years and always had good luck with it, I'll have to check out Chassis Saver - I have some surface rust issues on the motorhome to deal with.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:52 AM
Rubi Noobie

The more that I read, the more confused I get, any current thoughts on the bottom side care besides talcolm powder? No wait, now talcolm powder has claimed issues.

2004 Rubicon N th Degree complete set, 4.5 with long arm, Stinger, plus all plates minus front diff, Tom Woods driveshaft front/back, 305/70/16 tires Cooper STT Pro, weight 4400lbs, New owner 6/12/19

N9ARK Mike

Last edited by GoatHerder; 07-06-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page