post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Send a message via MSN to baddlord777
And I appreciate the folks that helped along the way. You know who you're

05 6SP RUBICAN LJ IMP.ORNG W/BLK HTOP JKS DISCO'S
2" OME LIFT W/OME SHKS,NTH TT,MML,JKS BL,
PWR-TANK,CB W/K40,33 MTR'S W/SPDRTRX
ROCKHARD BMPR & CARR. ASSY LOCKER RELOCATION

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

***Dino 2 Lives***
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 12:41 AM
Rubi Wheeler

I had the same problem getting a u-joint for my 2005 Unlimited Rubicon rear drive shaft. I went to O'Reilly and they looked it up in their system and I bought it. Anyhow it was the wrong size I returned and I brought my original u-joint with me and every part number they had was not the correct u-joint. Long story short I left there with a u-joint that fit and it was u-joint listed for a Jeep liberty. The P/N is a Precision 354 my intent was to get a spicer but none of the local shops carried it. For what it's worth the original u-joint that O'Reilly sold me was a bigger diameter.

05 Rubicon Unlimited, Hanson front and rear bumpers/Tire carrier ,Milemarker 12.0 winch, JKS MML, JKS 1.25 BL, DPG Super Ultimate Kit (JKS adjustable lower and upper CAs with 3.5 RE springs)

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 12:08 PM
Rubi Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddlord777 View Post
And I appreciate the folks that helped along the way. You know who you're
Great work...saved me from a confusing headache

'06 LJ Rubicon - 3" BDS - 35 MT/R's
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 02:38 PM
DAA
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

For sure.

I didn't have the time or the desire to mess with mine so I took it to a local driveline shop a couple months ago. Long time, well established, busy driveline shop, always a few Jeeps in the parking lot.

They ended up doing all the head scratching and figuring out how to get a Spicer joint that fit, which it turns out they didn't even have in stock, and told me about it after the fact. None of their Spicer application charts or documentation had it right for the '05-'06 LJ Rubi.

- DAA

'06 Silver Rubi Unlimited, 6 spd, Currie arms, Nth springs, AEV Highline, 35" KM2's.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 07:31 AM

Garage
I found this diagram amazing! Answered pretty much all my questions. This should be the definitive answer for what Ujoint goes where.

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/c977...er_tj_jk_.html

03 Tomb Raider Special Edition # 511
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 09:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpaladin View Post
I found this diagram amazing! Answered pretty much all my questions. This should be the definitive answer for what Ujoint goes where.

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/c977...er_tj_jk_.html

Good site. Thanks.

Frank!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 Rubicon LJ #009 Sahara slightly modified
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooodo1 View Post
I had the same problem getting a u-joint for my 2005 Unlimited Rubicon rear drive shaft. I went to O'Reilly and they looked it up in their system and I bought it. Anyhow it was the wrong size I returned and I brought my original u-joint with me and every part number they had was not the correct u-joint. Long story short I left there with a u-joint that fit and it was u-joint listed for a Jeep liberty. The P/N is a Precision 354 my intent was to get a spicer but none of the local shops carried it. For what it's worth the original u-joint that O'Reilly sold me was a bigger diameter.

Old thread but valuable information.

O'Reilly's computer shows a Precision 369 which is only 3.218". Way too narrow. After a lot of research and looking at this thread it's the 5-1330 alright which in fact checks with the Precision 354 at 3.62".

I'll be buying one and installing tomorrow. I will report back after my jeep is back on the road. 😡
johncanfield likes this.

-Ian-
05 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #362. 6 speed | Hard & Soft top/doors | Anti-Rock | Hanson bumpers | PS Sliders | 3" Susp lift | Superlift shocks | 285/75-16 GY MT/Rs | Supa-cheapo winch | Banks cat-back | MCAI | SOLID diff covers | RE Hand Throttle | ORO LiteDots | ORF Sport Cage | Black Magic Brakes | Cobra 18WXSTII | Fancy seat covers
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 10:14 AM

I put the 354 in and it seems fine. The bearing cap has a weird zerk looking thing and a came with a screw to plug the body of the u-joint where a zerk would go. Confusing. I just found a zerk and put it in the body of the joint so I could grease it.

Btw, the u-joint that I pulled out had "352" on it.

-Ian-
05 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #362. 6 speed | Hard & Soft top/doors | Anti-Rock | Hanson bumpers | PS Sliders | 3" Susp lift | Superlift shocks | 285/75-16 GY MT/Rs | Supa-cheapo winch | Banks cat-back | MCAI | SOLID diff covers | RE Hand Throttle | ORO LiteDots | ORF Sport Cage | Black Magic Brakes | Cobra 18WXSTII | Fancy seat covers
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 09:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmata View Post
I put the 354 in and it seems fine. The bearing cap has a weird zerk looking thing and a came with a screw to plug the body of the u-joint where a zerk would go. Confusing. I just found a zerk and put it in the body of the joint so I could grease it.

Btw, the u-joint that I pulled out had "352" on it.

That "weird zerk looking thing" may have been what's called a grease port meant to be greased with a needle adapter on a grease gun. Just make sure the zerk fitting you installed won't get sheared off with movement of the u-joint.
johncanfield likes this.

Black 2003 Rubicon Set up how I want, with what I want, for how I use it. Just like everyone else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.rubiconownersforum.com/forums/24-general-jeep-tj-lj-jk-faqs/76369-05-lj-rubicon-rear-u-joint.html
Posted By For Type Date
05 Rubi u-joint ??? - JeepForum.com This thread Refback 08-01-2014 04:13 PM