• 1 Post By katswuy
  • 2 Post By SweetPee
  • 3 Post By DAA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Interesting ball joint information

https://blog.genosgarage.com/wordpre...m-ball-joints/

This seems like some good info on ball joints. Although it is not Jeep specific, it points out the "why" of not using knurled or oversize joints. I have been researching joints a lot lately and our JKUR is at the dealership now getting new ball joints under warranty. I have a thread going on JK death wobble, hopefully this will be the "cure". I will post up a video of our Jeep's joints as soon as I can figure out how to convert a mov file to one that ROF accepts.
DAA and johncanfield like this.

The liver is evil, it must be punished.

2006 LJ Rubicon, 6 sp. 3.5/4 in. RE lift, Rockhard front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, ORO spare/dual jerry can carrier, Moab wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, 285/75R16 BFG KO2's, Misch overhead shelf, Black Box 2-way, Kenwood Excelon double din nav/cd/dvd/am/fm/sirius system, Rigid SideShooter front LED's, Warn winch, custom Viair OBA, Banks Cat-back exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Here is the link to a video I made of the ball joint. The Jeep was experiencing severe death wobble in the 47 to 55 mph range.
https://youtu.be/0iEP07iQEFo
johncanfield likes this.

The liver is evil, it must be punished.

2006 LJ Rubicon, 6 sp. 3.5/4 in. RE lift, Rockhard front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, ORO spare/dual jerry can carrier, Moab wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, 285/75R16 BFG KO2's, Misch overhead shelf, Black Box 2-way, Kenwood Excelon double din nav/cd/dvd/am/fm/sirius system, Rigid SideShooter front LED's, Warn winch, custom Viair OBA, Banks Cat-back exhaust
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:31 PM

Garage
The knurled vs smooth debacle is something I have wondered for years. I also find it interesting that you can take one part mfg, lets say Moog for instance, and it be highly regarded as the "go to" replacement for one group (hypothetically lets say toyota guys) and then in comparison (let say jeep guys) Moog be considered an inferior part.

It was my understanding that for a Jeep, Spicer is the go to..... least for a TJ. And I went that way when I did mine. If I had the choice at the time, I might have gone Dynatrac, they seem to have held on to a good reputation for wear and rebuild-ability through the years. Not sure where Synergy is these days on the list.
johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:39 PM
DAA

Years ago, Mr. Blaine told me essentially the exact same thing as in that link. Have also just used the Spicers.

- DAA
Mouse, johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

'06 Silver Rubi Unlimited, 6 spd, Currie arms, Nth springs, AEV Highline, 35" KM2's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page