Dragging brake is back. - Rubicon Owners Forum
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Dragging brake is back.

So I thought I had this fixed after bleeding all the fluid out of the brakes.
They have worked fine for a few months and then yesterday the first reasonably hot day of the year I drive to TSC with no problems, I park. I go int the store to get feed, come back out get in start to drive and a brake is dragging.
I am glad I did not put the new rotors on!
I am going to rebuild the calipers which I am pretty sure are not the problem.
I have a new master cylinder I bought awhile back. I am going to bench bleed and replace.
For such a basic brake system it is a PITA!
I mean all there is, is a master cylinder, proportioning valve, lines and calipers.
Front flex lines have been replaced as well as all four calipers/pads. The calipers were lubed up, been bled to death. The only thing left is the master cyl and proportioning valve, and I have never seen a bad proportioning valve and since it has no moving parts it is highly unlikely to cause this issue.
If it were not for these brakes I could probably like my Jeep. LOL

MARK

2005 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #890
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Garage
Oh no!
Wildrat likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
Oh no!

LOL, yeah, I tell ya if this was a decrepit horse I'd put it out to pasture.
johncanfield likes this.

MARK

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:40 AM
Official WebWheeler

Garage
I've only seen collapsed lines and worn out calipers cause this. I've been working on the brakes of my scrambler for many weeks (only for a little time on the weekends) but am close to having them working properly...my desire to keep working brakes is very low right now.

Good luck, I hope you find something easy to fix it.
johncanfield likes this.

Lives in garage:

2004 Red Jeep TJ "X", big tires, suspension, stereo delete, dent in cowl.

1982 Red Jeep Scrambler, small block chevy on 35's.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I've only seen collapsed lines and worn out calipers cause this. I've been working on the brakes of my scrambler for many weeks (only for a little time on the weekends) but am close to having them working properly...my desire to keep working brakes is very low right now.

Good luck, I hope you find something easy to fix it.

Yep, lines and calipers were my thought a few years ago. They have been replaced with new. I am going to rebuild the calipers this time. I am going to go ahead and replace the MC also. My thought on it, is it may not be releasing pressure. It's just odd it only does it when it starts getting hot outside and then not all the time.
johncanfield likes this.

MARK

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:27 AM
Rubi Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildrat View Post
Yep, lines and calipers were my thought a few years ago. They have been replaced with new. I am going to rebuild the calipers this time. I am going to go ahead and replace the MC also. My thought on it, is it may not be releasing pressure. It's just odd it only does it when it starts getting hot outside and then not all the time.

Are you sure the plunger in the master cyl is returning all the way?
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
Are you sure the plunger in the master cyl is returning all the way?

I have had the plunger issue with other vehicles. When they they had plunger issues I had an issue everytime I drove, not unless it was very short distances. This Jeep will not do it in cooler temps, only when it is hot outside and then it's very intermittent.
johncanfield likes this.

MARK

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Planning on working on the brakes today. I don't know what I'll get done today. I am going to change the M/C and check the pushrod length sine the M/C will be off. I also want to rebuild the calipers and replace front rotors, maybe rear rotors also if i don't run out of gas. LOL If I do, the Jeep isn't going anywhere. LOL
At least it will be easier to get the wheels off since I have the new hi-flo fittings and good hoses. I can use the impact gun and knock them out quick like an old retired disabled NASCAR mechanic in a wheel chair missing fingers and one leg, blind in one eye, cataracts in the other, having a lack of enthusiasm to work on anything anymore. I suppose I should get started before this is all I do today. LOL

MARK

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

I did not get far with the brakes this morning. I bled these brakes to death this past winter. I insure I did not overfill the reservoir. This morning I went out starting to remove the M/C and I noticed it was overfilled, within approx. 3/8ths of an inch from the top of the cap. I do not know why it had that much fluid, especially when it was at the correct level this winter when I bled. Anyway, I took out around 5-6 cc of fluid.
There is not suppose to be any thermal expansion of the fluid, or very little.
So I stopped, and I will drive and see if this does anything, if the very intermittent issue returns.
Like I said before this issue shows it self more in the heat of summer and it's been getting hot here, especially the time of day I drive.

It may also explain why I can drive somewhere and it's fine, come out start driving and the front brake or brakes are dragging.

One thing I did see is where the proportioning valve is mounted. I never noticed it till today. LOL
Oh Well, It may be another week or two before I drive again.

I suppose I'll go bike riding now! Burn off all this energy an old retired disabled NASCAR mechanic in a wheel chair missing fingers and one leg, blind in one eye, cataracts in the other, having a lack of enthusiasm to work on anything anymore.

Oh, I'm not a NASCAR mechanic, but the rest or certain parts fit. LOL

MARK

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:03 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Check the caliper mounting bracket slide rail for wear too... newer vehicles have stainless wear pads, the TJs did not, and they get a divot that can hang the caliper, needs a bit of weld or a stainless sleeve to allow the caliper to slide

Steve

2004 Sienna Pearl
no front bumper extensions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
some scrapes, dents and some skids ,UCF high clearance skid, Hybrid 3" lift w/tera 3", Bilstein 5100s, F&RATB, JJ control arms , on 255/85 KM2's

2013 crush JKU AEV bling 285/75-17s

2006 TJ project truck GR8Tops, flat fenders , 34s , 6' bed are the plan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page