Dragging brake is back. - Page 6 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
What Chris said .
Our rural area is growing - people are moving in from the Left coast and even nearby cities. Raw land around us in going for as much as $8-10K per acre, if you have live water (spring, creek, etc) the price can double/triple/quadruple? Our little nearby town now has a Family Dollar and a new Mexican restaurant but we haven't made the big time yet - there's no stop lights.

While we love living out here, it's a 40 to 50 mile round trip to the grocery stores and major big city shopping is a 150 mile round trip.

I guess I'll have to win the lottery twice, but I still need to get to Florida to purchase the tickets. LOL
johncanfield likes this.

MARK

2005 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #890
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:43 AM
Rubi Noobie

Sorry I read thru all the posts and didn't catch it, but what brakes are dragging... front, rears or all 4.
If all 4 are dragging the first thing I would check is that the master cylinder is not over filled. The brakes get hot and the fluid expands it needs somewhere to go. If the master is overfilled there is no room for expansion and the system will remain pressurized. Also this condition should get worse as the brakes get hotter and should get better once cooled down.
The brake fluid return port in the master cylinder could be getting blocked. This could be due to an internal issue with the master cylinder itself or a binding issue within the booster.
If you can drive it enough to duplicate the concern and all the brakes are dragging, try loosening the master from the booster and see if the condition goes away.
DAA, Mouse and johncanfield like this.
post #53 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:54 PM
Rubicus Maximus

I feel ya, I just changed out both front calipers on my 06 since they were stuck and dragging after about 4 miles.... drivers worse than pass, but both hung up.

I would say a couple things
first, I had divots in both brackets on this vehicle, driver side was deep, passenger side not so bad. I removed them both and lubed to keep the pads from hanging, and reduce the corrosion that forms, which brings me to my second observation,

this Jeep sits for extended periods days, weeks sometimes months since I have an excess of vehicles. The parts sit in one position and normal condensation, humidity etc, generates corrosion on wear areas like caliper slides, inside piston bores etc. . Other than being deliberate about lubing things and preventing corrosion, which is almost impossible I need to make a point to drive this vehicle more. Moving parts don't corrode, or at least not as easily.
DAA and Mouse like this.

Steve

2004 Sienna Pearl
no front bumper extensions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
some scrapes, dents and some skids ,UCF high clearance skid, Hybrid 3" lift w/tera 3", Bilstein 5100s, F&RATB, JJ control arms , on 255/85 KM2's

2013 crush JKU AEV bling 285/75-17s

2006 TJ project truck GR8Tops, flat fenders , 34s , 6' bed are the plan

post #54 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Two more uneventful trips in the Jeep. I am almost tempted to put the new rotors on, but I'll wait till summers over, around October. LOL
It looks like the new pistons did the trick Phil!
I wish I had known the pistons were phenolic when this all started. I would have been on it like white on rice. LOL

When I put the rotors on I will go ahead and rebuild the rear with the new pistons and seals even though they have caused no problem.

I guess when I hauled my loaded trailer moving from Clearwater to here it put excessive heat on the phenolic pistons since my issue began after the move.

Thanks again Phil!
johncanfield likes this.

MARK

post #55 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

The Jeep made another uneventful trip yesterday and it was hot and I made sure to use the brakes. The Jeep also had a good load in it; 400 pounds of animal feed, my groceries for a month and my big arse.
I am almost ready to say the brakes are fixed. I will still wait to put the new rotors on, it's too hot outside. No sense getting a heat stroke. If I did, no one would be around to help, and then after a few days the dogs would start thinking I smell good, then they would say to themselves; "Oh Dad smells good! I don't think he'll miss a couple fingers." The next day it'll be a hand, and you get the idea. LOL
Mouse, johncanfield and FLLJ like this.

MARK

post #56 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Garage
You need one of those "help I've fallen and I can't get up" clickers .
Mouse and Wildrat like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #57 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:35 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Good news on the brakes. My buddy at Napa will be glad to hear. He is so much more than just a parts guy. He retires in January after being in the parts business since a teenager in his dad's store.
johncanfield, Wildrat and FLLJ like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #58 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
You need one of those "help I've fallen and I can't get up" clickers .
That commercial makes me think exploitation every time I see it.
Mouse and johncanfield like this.

MARK

post #59 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

I got around to changing the rotors and found another problem with the brakes. It appears the right rear had dragged in the past. It also appears I only had one working rear brake. I have a new piston and seals, but could not get the piston out. I guess the extreme heat caused the phenolic piston to swell and stay locked in place. I screwed with it for a while, then said I'll just order a new caliper from Rock Auto.
So the rotors are changed, just need to install the new caliper when it arrives and bleed the brakes.

UPDATE: I was ratting around in the shop and looked at my collection of old calipers. Low and behold one of them was a brand new right rear. It's installed, bled, and test drove. It feels weird coming to a smooth stop, instead of a pulsating stop from warped rotors.
Rock Auto caliper is cancelled!
johncanfield likes this.

MARK

Last edited by Wildrat; 11-17-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #60 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 09:27 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Good to hear.
johncanfield and Wildrat like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page