Dragging brake is back. - Page 2 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveVB View Post
Check the caliper mounting bracket slide rail for wear too... newer vehicles have stainless wear pads, the TJs did not, and they get a divot that can hang the caliper, needs a bit of weld or a stainless sleeve to allow the caliper to slide

Thanks for the suggestion. It's been done a few times. This is an on going intermittent issue.
Mouse and johncanfield like this.

MARK

2005 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #890
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Removing the excess fluid seems to have just slowed the on-set of the dragging brakes.

I drove about 20 miles stop and go, everything was fine. I come out of my doctors office and the brakes are dragging. They could have been dragging already just not as bad. So with it sitting still with no air to go over brake to cool it down at the doc's office they just got worse.
When I got home I jacked the front. Both brakes on the front are dragging. I could not turn the wheels at all.
I jacked the rear and they were fine. I could turn them.

When I bled the brakes this past winter I lathered everything on the brakes with brake grease, the two front lines were replaced when this issue began. Both front calipers were replaced back then. I have rebuild kits for them now.

I have a new master cylinder I have not installed.

What do knowledgeable folks think I should do?

MARK

post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 04:13 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Phenolic or metal pistons? Buddy at Napa is asking. Been in the business for 30+ years. Telling me of manufacture issue with phenolic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 05:19 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
^^On my home computer now so I can expand on the above.^^
NAPA part SE4890 is a right side caliper with a phenolic piston. Part SE4890S is one with a steel piston. The phenolic was used for several reasons. One being little to no heat transfer. The issue with Chrysler's original supplier is they cut/made the piston cold. Therefore during use, as it heated, it expanded ever so slightly and bound. It is unknown if replacement calipers with phenolic pistons are made in the same manner. My buddy recommends the steel piston replacements for this very reason.
Maybe this will help with your troubleshooting efforts. Let us know. If needed, I can PM you the tech line number for the company that supplies NAPAs calipers. You could call them and see if they are aware of the issue stated above.
Wildrat and FLLJ like this.

post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroshots View Post
^^On my home computer now so I can expand on the above.^^
NAPA part SE4890 is a right side caliper with a phenolic piston. Part SE4890S is one with a steel piston. The phenolic was used for several reasons. One being little to no heat transfer. The issue with Chrysler's original supplier is they cut/made the piston cold. Therefore during use, as it heated, it expanded ever so slightly and bound. It is unknown if replacement calipers with phenolic pistons are made in the same manner. My buddy recommends the steel piston replacements for this very reason.
Maybe this will help with your troubleshooting efforts. Let us know. If needed, I can PM you the tech line number for the company that supplies NAPAs calipers. You could call them and see if they are aware of the issue stated above.

The OEM calipers were replaced. This sounds like it is the issue. I could not fing metal pistons for my Jeep so I went ahead and ordered phenolic. I don't off road.

This makes more sense. My Jeep had no issues till I moved here hauling a trailer full of stuff. Then the problem started. I replaced calipers but I also hauled the trailer somemore.

Very well could be the phenolic overheated. I can only imagine what they will look like when I tear into the calipers. I think I will also rebuild the old calipers since the ones on the Jeep have overheated several, several times. It also likely explains why this issue does not rear it's head in winter.

MARK

Last edited by Wildrat; 05-31-2019 at 07:42 PM.
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:52 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
^^Check with NAPA^^ My bud showed me the computer screen today and it showed the steel option available. Didn't catch the cost, but at this point you probably just want it fixed. Good luck and stop teasing us with the puppy videos--just kidding!
Wildrat likes this.

post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Yeah, sounds like it will fix it. I'll have to see if there is a NAPA around here. Wish I had known about this phenolic stuff a few years ago!
aeroshots likes this.

MARK

post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
^^Check with NAPA^^ My bud showed me the computer screen today and it showed the steel option available. Didn't catch the cost, but at this point you probably just want it fixed. Good luck and stop teasing us with the puppy videos--just kidding!

Just remembered one other thing about the brakes.

I forgot to mention the pedal was hard.
The pedal does not go back to normal until the brakes cool and release or something else happens.

With only 25K on this Jeep you'd think nothing would be broke apart from the OPDA and blower resistors. LOL

MARK

post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 08:05 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Yes, if the current thought about the piston sticking is correct it would cause the stiff pedal. JMHO, and someone else's opinion too. Ask around and see what others think. By the way, 6 Napa's around Mobile.
Wildrat likes this.

post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Yes, if the current thought about the piston sticking is correct it would cause the stiff pedal. JMHO, and someone else's opinion too. Ask around and see what others think. By the way, 6 Napa's around Mobile.

10-4 on NAPA. It's too bad Rock Auto did not have the metal piston.
Do you think the heat could have damaged the caliper housing? I intend to rebuild them.

I looked online at NAPA they are just showing the phenolic piston.

MARK

Last edited by Wildrat; 06-01-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page