Why didn't Jeep ... ? - Page 3 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:18 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Those of us on this and other Jeep "enthusiast" forums tend to be passionate about our Jeeps and think we know what would be best for Jeep. But....what teally floats my Jeep boat is very far from what the modern Jeep customer wants.

The new JL sells 80/20 4 doors versus 2 doors. I am one in the 20% of 2 door owners. I also have a base model with AC and LSD as the only 2 options. My guess is a combination like that, a base Sport with a manual trans and soft top, makes up less than 5% of what Jeep sells today.

A new Rubicon loaded with aii the junk can approach $60,000 today. I'm not interested in that, but most new Rubicon purchasers are. If they made a base Rubicon with lockers and the mechanical stuff that comes on a Rubicon but not loaded up, I would have bought one. However, since the average Rubicon owner today is more interested in the stickers and fluff, the base model is loaded. That's not to say that all new Rubicon owners are that way, but I've read that 70% of new JL Rubicons will never see dirt....and that is sad. Kudos to those who use them as they should be used. My guess is the new JL Rubicon owners come from a completely different demographic group than those who bought TJ Rubicons new.

On the other hand, I'm glad FCA sells so dang many 4 doors. The buyers of these 4 doors provide the profit needed for FCA to continue producing 2 doors.

Other than the fact my JL is too large, it is the best Jeep I've ever owned. Much more capable than the base Jeeps I've owned in the past and much more comfortable for day to day use. If I could have bought a basic Rubicon, such as they were in 03, I would have bought one. I was just too cheap to pay for the fluff.

How's that for wandering off topic!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 07:17 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

Its kind of been said already, but I'll say it again. The most likely reason that Jeep has not made a modern LJ length Wrangler is because they think it will only take away sales from their current buyers. They do not see that it will create a new market. So they stick with the shorty and the Unlimited. As an LJ owner, I would love to see a new JL with a similar wheelbase. However, as a Jeep enthusiast, I would be dissappointed to see Jeep drop the short Wrangler. The shorty is really the iconic Jeep. So that means they need to add a 3rd size Wrangler to the line up. I'm sure they they are worried that it would not bring in additional sales so whats the point. I kind of hope that the new Ford Bronco is a midsize 2 door. Similar to the original. Then Jeep will be forced to make an LJ sized JL to compete with the Bronco.

If I ran Jeep here is what I would do:

First I would make the shorty a real shorty. Something that brings to mind the old CJ5.

Introducing the Jeep Shortcut from Easter Jeep Safari 2016.

Then I would add an LJ sized option.

Introducing the Trail Concepts 106" JK from SEMA 2015. (I'm surprised this never caught on more.)

Then of course I would have the 4 door.

hutchman, DAA, Mouse and 2 others like this.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
@Fargo that yellow extended wheelbase JK you posted a picture of is what I want. If Jeep would have done that with the 2dr JK or JL i would have sold my TJ a long time ago.

I understand keeping with tradition and having a short wheel base but that JK would be perfect for my needs. Long enough to store my bike and gear inside.

Personally I think Jeep would sell way more 2dr if they make them like that yellow one. I also think it looks more proportionate.
johncanfield likes this.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:19 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

on the bike inside, I have not had the seats in the back of the JKU for, well almost since new. I also wanted the bikes inside. I can kind of get one bike to fit. The handle bars are to tall, the wheel base to long... It is not quite big enough for easy in and out storage of the bike. It either takes up all the room, or I need to make to many adjustment to the bike to get it to fit. Might be partially due to the size of my bike frame, but still would be a pain with a smaller frame, IMHO.

I anticipate the same issue with the LJ, but have not tried it yet.
johncanfield likes this.

2003 Rubicon, just PR 60s, COs, ...
2004 Dodge CTD, with stuff
2005 Rubicon LJ, stockish
2017 JKU sport, just UD60
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:56 AM
Rubi Bad Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97heep View Post
@Fargo that yellow extended wheelbase JK you posted a picture of is what I want. If Jeep would have done that with the 2dr JK or JL i would have sold my TJ a long time ago.

I understand keeping with tradition and having a short wheel base but that JK would be perfect for my needs. Long enough to store my bike and gear inside.

Personally I think Jeep would sell way more 2dr if they make them like that yellow one. I also think it looks more proportionate.

I agree with everything you said. I too think they would sell more 2 doors if they built this instead. But the big risk is that they would be killing the iconic shorty Wrangler if they went that route. I would fear what happens to the Wrangler if Jeep decided to chase the market instead of staying true to the original. Because from there, it would be easy to also say they would sell more Wranglers if they had independent front suspension, or uni-bodies or were basically built like every other SUV on the road. So for the sake of keeping the Wrangler focused and true to the original I would encourage Jeep to drop the short wheelbase Wrangler. But I would love to see a longer 2 door added to the line up.
johncanfield and rlenglish like this.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6 View Post
on the bike inside, I have not had the seats in the back of the JKU for, well almost since new. I also wanted the bikes inside. I can kind of get one bike to fit. The handle bars are to tall, the wheel base to long... It is not quite big enough for easy in and out storage of the bike. It either takes up all the room, or I need to make to many adjustment to the bike to get it to fit. Might be partially due to the size of my bike frame, but still would be a pain with a smaller frame, IMHO.

I anticipate the same issue with the LJ, but have not tried it yet.
In 2016 a buddy and I rented a jku sport and was able to fit 2 medium mountain bikes in the back plus our gear without problems. Just had to pull the front tires off.
johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Maybe I'll buy a 2dr JK after all. Just gotta find an extra 12,500 bucks. Oh and a JK 2dr haha! Who had that money tree in their backyard?

https://jeepworksltd.com
johncanfield and FLLJ like this.

Chris

post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:53 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Quote:
Maybe I'll buy a 2dr JK after all. Just gotta find an extra 12,500 bucks. Oh and a JK 2dr haha! Who had that money tree in their backyard?

how is it the first time I am seeing this. Not a bad initial price or even the complete price. Just do it.
Fargo likes this.

2003 Rubicon, just PR 60s, COs, ...
2004 Dodge CTD, with stuff
2005 Rubicon LJ, stockish
2017 JKU sport, just UD60
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6 View Post
Quote:

how is it the first time I am seeing this. Not a bad initial price or even the complete price. Just do it.
I know right!!!! I saw a video on youtube and went to the website and was like, how has this been missing from my life lol. It's very tempting to sell my honda and pick up a JK 2dr to do this to and make a mild DD out of it.

Knowing me though it wouldn't be mild haha.
johncanfield likes this.

Chris

post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:49 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

Quote:

That is beyond cool.
I see they offer a builder kit for $2,300.
iceaxe1967 and johncanfield like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page