• 1 Post By bugdewde
  • 1 Post By ArkansasRubi
  • 1 Post By bugdewde
  • 1 Post By bugdewde

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
2005 Rubi Unlimited .... starter not cranking ???

Everything powers up, but the starter will not engage or turn over.

Read on here that the bypass fuse trick will not work on an '05, but it has the 4Lo bypass built in.
So I tried the 4Lo thingy to try and start it. Nothing.

What's next?
Remove the wires from the switch at the pedal and connect them together?
or replace starter?
I can't seem the remove the wires from the switch at the pedal ….. is there a trick?

Also, the switch appears to be separated from the firewall.... as it will slide up the rod (back towards the pedal arm). It is spring loaded and will return to the firewall on it's own. Is this switch supposed to move or is it busted?
attached pic shows the switch moved back from the firewall ……………….
Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch seperated.jpg (85.9 KB, 1 views)

Dwight

'05 Rubi Unlimited, 6-speed, Soft top, Patriot Blue
RE 4.5" Super Flex
1" spring spacers up front
1.25" JKS Body Lift
255/85/16 Maxxis Bighorns/Buckshots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:29 PM
Rubicus Maximus

first, check all you fuses, you will feel like a fool if that's all it is.
Then with the transmission in NEUTRAL, park brake ON, jump your starter relay and see if it turns over. starter relay is in fuse box under hood. If the starter works then go to the clutch switch. It does move on the shaft but should return with spring pressure. The wires off the switch will only be a few inches to a connector you could try to jump it there.
johncanfield likes this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
OK.... I just read a thread where an '05 had the fuse bypass slot in #28 in the power distribution center. (I'd previously read '05-'06 didn't have that).
So I go out and check mine. Put a 10A fuse in #28 and it started.

Stranger ….. I put it in neutral and tried starting it with the clutch pedal out … no start. Turns out, it wouldn't start unless it was in gear. Started just fine if in gear with the clutch out. Guess that's what the bypass does (but I thought it would work in neutral as well.)

Weirder ..... So, to complicate matters even more..... I removed the fuse from #28 for giggles …. and now it starts in neutral or in gear with the clutch depressed... just like nothing happened.

I don't think the issue is "fixed" …. but it works as it should now. Maybe some corrosion kept if from working and then the bypass fuse trick got everything working?????

So once again, I guess I need to know if the switch on the clutch rod is supposed to be separated from the firewall like in my previous pic. (I'm thinking not).
hutchman likes this.

Dwight

RE 4.5" Super Flex
1.25" JKS Body Lift

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:43 PM
Rubi Noobie

Garage
When my 2006 did this it was the ignition switch accuator in the column. The pin that turns the actual ignition switch broke and would turn far enough to power up the dash but would not go further to engage the starter.

Disregard. Saw you found your issue.
johncanfield likes this.

Mike
ArkansasRubi is a 2006 TJ Rubicon severely mistreated but on the mends. Nothing enough money can't fix!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlenglish View Post
first, check all you fuses, you will feel like a fool if that's all it is.
Then with the transmission in NEUTRAL, park brake ON, jump your starter relay and see if it turns over. starter relay is in fuse box under hood. If the starter works then go to the clutch switch. It does move on the shaft but should return with spring pressure. The wires off the switch will only be a few inches to a connector you could try to jump it there.
Thanks for the reply and info on the switch.
When I slid it up the rod, there was a foam-like ring on there (cushion?) and a white plastic ring on firewall side (pictured) loose on the rod as well …. So I was thinking the switch was busted.

While I was under the hood installing the fuse in #28, I did jiggle some of the other fuses/relays. I did not jump the starter relay. But may play with that tomorrow if it acts up again.
If you read my reply, it now works as it should after doing the fuse into #28 (even with the fuse removed). ?????? Just like nothing ever happened. Strange.

Dwight

RE 4.5" Super Flex
1.25" JKS Body Lift

Last edited by bugdewde; 09-20-2018 at 08:57 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasRubi View Post
When my 2006 did this it was the ignition switch accuator in the column. The pin that turns the actual ignition switch broke and would turn far enough to power up the dash but would not go further to engage the starter.

Disregard. Saw you found your issue.

I hope so, but I have my doubts.

Maybe I'll look at that actuator rod tomorrow as well. I was taking it down to my buddy's place to replace a control arm joint and a unit bearing and axle shaft u-joint …. but couldn't start it. Didn't roll start it until I could come on here and ask some questions first. Looks like I'll do the axle stuff in the morning (when it's cooler).

Thanks again for the replies and info.

Dwight

RE 4.5" Super Flex
1.25" JKS Body Lift

Last edited by bugdewde; 09-20-2018 at 08:58 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugdewde View Post

While I was under the hood installing the fuse in #28, I did jiggle some of the other fuses/relays. I did not jump the starter relay. But may play with that tomorrow if it acts up again.
If you read my reply, it now works as it should after doing the fuse into #28 (even with the fuse removed). ?????? Just like nothing ever happened. Strange.
Ok... So today it wouldn't start. I was under the hood and checked the fuse i put in 28 and it had no power at all
So i pulled the yellow cover off and low and behold, there is NO provision for a fuse in slot 28. So my '05 doesn't have that feature.
johncanfield likes this.

Dwight

RE 4.5" Super Flex
1.25" JKS Body Lift
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
This issue has been on-going for several months, but it has always started with some "finesse" of the key.. after a while.
Well, those days are over. Dead in the water for over a week now.
So I buy a new ignition switch & actuator rod assembly and brush up on YouTube videos on how to swap them out.

It was the ignition switch.... Actuator was good.

This video explains the issue and how to change it out very, very well. Was quite easy, and I have been dreading it and putting it off for months..... Lol.

https://youtu.be/IiKXqr5_0D0
FLLJ likes this.

Dwight

RE 4.5" Super Flex
1.25" JKS Body Lift

Last edited by bugdewde; 05-30-2019 at 10:13 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:54 AM
Sarcastic Moderator

There was a recall for the clutch interlock switch failing on my 06 unlimited. Best first start is to give your vin to a dealer to check for open recalls. This is probably the only dealer free service.
Next check the ground wire from the starter, corrosion/bad connection will mean not enough power for the starter. Also with a friend try starting it and have a friend tap (not hit hard) the starter with a hammer. this can help diagnose a bad starter.

04 Patriot Blue TJ Rubi - 6" Airock, RELA, 4.88, 37s...
06 Black LJ Rubi - 4" Airock, 35s and my DD
06 Red LJ Rubi - 35s, LA and lots of offroady stuff

Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page