replacement headlights for 2004 Rubicon TJ - Rubicon Owners Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

replacement headlights for 2004 Rubicon TJ

I need help. Been a member of this forum since 2006. I bought a new Rubicon in 2004. I have 120K miles on it. I want to replace my OEM headlights....however, I'm looking for "plug n play"....NO NEW HARNESS OR MODIFICATIONS. I am a little confused with all the comments in the jeep world. Ive heard that the OEM housings are terrible compared with replacement ones. Also some comment about the Sylvania Silverlights; the Hella E-Codes, and multiple other headlight including HID lights. I want plug and play, and Im not looking to spend $500 in LED lights. Ive read where some folks put different blubs for low / high beams. I just want a better headlight the OEM, and without modifications. I need to do this immediately because one of my low beams is out, and I'm running on high beams. Your input is highly appreciated.

Jc
sierrabob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Re: replacement headlights for 2004 Rubicon TJ

I hear you. i thought I was going to die driving back from Elephant Hill Trail in Moab. I finally replaced mine and have no need for more headlight effect. Mine are Rampage conversions. Conversion meaning, you replace the stock throw away lights and substitute their housing and bulb insert. They are a no brainer plug and play. I only bought the basic bulb and I suppose I might investigate a different bulb when they die, but I don't really need anything else. Don't get caught up in the hyper focus of people's preferences.

I suggest you try my route and take it from there. i have older eyes and I've been totally satisfied.
bullhog likes this.

It doesn't matter who you are until you are whom you are supposed to be.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Rubicus Maximus

You can use any of the H4 replaceable bulb headlights with 60/55 watt bulbs, the same electrical load as stock sealed beam headlights.

The best Halogen replaceable bulb headlights are the E-code H4 headlights from the brands Cibie, Bosch, Marchal, and Hella. Expect to pay between $60 and $120 for a pair. They are slightly more expensive as they are made in Europe (the "E" stands for Europe).

Lower performance lights are available as DOT approved H4 lights from any vender. Compared to the E-codes, the DOT-approved lights have a less precise low beam cutoff and less range. (They are still superior to stock Jeep headlights.)

Then there are really cheap and poor performing H4 lights in both E-Code and DOT versions that are made in various Asian countries. I suggest avoiding those.

Any HID conversions or LED lights that are less than $500/pair are dangerous and illegal - you have doubtless seen the like on the road, those annoying and dazzling bluish or even violet colored headlights.

Gary
2019 Grand Cherokee WK2
2003 Rubicon TJ

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage

I've been running the Silverlights for a while and like them. I don't do all that much night driving and even less night time off-roading but they work for me.

Black 2003 Rubicon Set up how I want, with what I want, for how I use it. Just like everyone else.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

So are the OEM headlights on the 04 TJ sealed beams? Also how do the Sliverlight compare with the e-code headlight replacements by companies like Hells? Ive also read post online where individuals change the bulbs on this lamps. So I guess from reading on the forum post that I must keep the bulb watts at 55/60 for low/high beams if I don't want to change the wiring harness. Is this correct? Thanks to all the contributers in this forum. It is much appreciated.

Nc
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:54 AM
Rubicus Maximus

The stock headlights on Jeep TJs are halogen sealed beams. That is a halogen capsule inside a blow-molded glass reflector/lens. The halogen light color is whiter and about 15% brighter than conventional incandescent sealed beams. But the replaceable bulb H4 Halogen headlights have more precise stamped parabolic metal reflectors, and more accurately shaped Fresnell lenses on the front glass.

If the H4 headlights you get have 9003/HB2 compliance, then they are precisely manufactured so that you can replace the bulb from inside the engine compartment without having to check/adjust the aim.

Gary
2019 Grand Cherokee WK2
2003 Rubicon TJ
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Are the Silverlights sealed beams, or replaceble H4 halogen headlights ?
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 06:04 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew
Are the Silverlights sealed beams, or replaceble H4 halogen headlights ?

Silverlights are sealed beam, but IMHO are a bit better than stocks. I Googled "Sylvania Silverlight" but couldn't find anything. Only Silverstar.

Black 2003 Rubicon Set up how I want, with what I want, for how I use it. Just like everyone else.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

I want to say Thank You to all the Forum Members.....I did my search online after all of your advice (especially to Gary). I ended up getting a great deal on Amazon. Purchased the following:

1. PIAA 15224 H4 Style Xtreme White 12V 60/55=110/100-Watt Bulb - Twin Pack

2. HELLA 002395031 Vision Plus 165mm H4 High/Low Beam Conversion Headlamp

Now that I have my driving lights setup taken care of, I was wondering what blub any of you would recommend for replacing the OEM blubs on the front fog lamps ?

Thanks

Jc
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Rubi Noobie

Send a message via Yahoo to marka2k

I would also consider a wiring harness, there is typically a 2V drop at the headlamp plug. I went with Ciibie housings, decent H4 bulbs and harness and there is a huge difference.

2004 Silver Rubicon
Manual
Hard Top
CIBIE Lenses with upgraded Bulbs and wiring harness
JKS Quick Disconnects front Sway Bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page