replacement headlights for 2004 Rubicon TJ - Page 5 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 03:40 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Quote:
I replaced the Hella E codes with a pair of 150.00 LED headlight bulbs which were the complete housing, no fans required 75 watts on high beam for the pair. From LED Factory Mart. Very happy with them. Good beam pattern and cutoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugdewde View Post
Are the housings glass or plastic?

The front housing lens on any 7" LED projector is going to be plastic just like any modern headlight, assuming that is what you're asking about. None of them are glass. I'm not sure what the projector lenses themselves are actually made from. I looked at the LED Factory Mart's listing for the 80W projector lens and they say the housing back is cast aluminum. If you're considering these lights, really go look at some reviews for LED Jeep lights. If you're going to use them on the highway, I would only consider a projector lens and there is massive variability in both lumens at 20ft and in pattern and cutoff quality between manufacturers. One thing was consistent though. The lamps with multiple "eyes" all have terrible performance bordering on unsafe on the highway. They're probably OK on a trail at night, just not on the highway.
johncanfield likes this.

04 Rubicon - Bright Silver
Ham radio KB4UGK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 03:37 PM

I wanted to retain the traditional look and not go to a modern LED replacement housing, plus the JW Speakers are quite a bit more than I'd want to spend and the lower end stuff can be good or totally sketchy.

The Hellas were a big step up and I decided to try a little bit more. I bought a set of the 2020 version of the Hikari XHP 50.2 LED H4 bulbs. The cutoff remains sharp in the Hella housing. I've checked them for glare and they seem very well controlled. On high beam, they send a tight beam a very long way. These are well made to replicate the light pattern of an H4 halogen bulb and did not create any problem patterns.

If you've got an ecode H4 light already and are thinking of upgrading, I think you'll be quite happy with these particular bulbs. They're not the brightest LED H4 you could possibly buy, but they're well made, cutoff properly and provide a good clean pattern.
Mouse and johncanfield like this.

Ham radio KB4UGK
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 01:35 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Mel I just picked up a used set of Hella H4’s and would like more info on the 2020 Hikari XHP 50.2 LED H4 bulbs. Where did you buy them from as I’m not easily finding them in my search?

Also are you running your H4 conversion with an upgraded harness and if so which one?

post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 10:40 PM
Rubi Noobie

There is a wide variety in quality both of design of LED assemblies and the light output pattern. Some multiple led types are very bad, some ok for off road as was said.

And there are also some good ones. The US government multiple LED units used in all modern tactical trucks are multiple LED units. Those same 24 volt Trucklite bulbs are available in 12 volt and are used on commercial trucks too. They are the highest quality multiple led light source bulbs out there. They go for about 250.00 a bulb.

Same goes for projector single or double source types, which have their bad ones. Same for H4 bulb types. Over 50 years of Jeepin from my CJs up to my Rubi that I have had for 10 years now I have played with every type of headlight except HID. So I picked up the LED factory mart Chinese multiple LED bulbs for a test. Figured I’d give them a good try. For 150.00 and a return or exchange policy how bad can it be. I figured I know what to look for after working as a mechanic at an inspection station years ago. If they bombed I was going to exchange them for the projector type with the separate optics for high and low beam. I may try them next on my humvee which has outrageously bad pre halogen sealed beams. There were several types to pick from. I grabbed what looked decent and had good reviews. Then after installing them I brought the TJ Rubi to a buddy’s shop that is an State inspection station. Each LED in each assembly, and there are 8 for low beam and another 5 for high beam has its own optic projector. They were very well designed and rugged. Nothing flimsy to go out of alignment. I was expecting chicom junk but was pretty happy with them looking them over. On the State light board they showed a sharp horizontal cutoff I was happy to see, although not as sharp as the Hella ECodes which were really sharp With good E codes there is literally no light projected above the cutoff. If you take a spin in an Audi or BMW you know what I mean. I spent a while adjusting them so the pattern was below the legal line and slightly to the right on the state board as required. The high beams are long range spot beams that are useful for seeing way in the distance. I never see the need for them except on the Interstate late at night when I am the only one on the highway. The low beams are excellent and you do not feel you need more light for local driving.

I was surprised as they even had one of the LEDs optic projector designed to allow a small amount of light to aim upward at about 45 degrees to allow for illumination of over highway road signs. This small up aiming light scatter is required in the US for DOT approval and is present in all US DOT headlamps. . It is not for E Codes as over highway signage is mostly self illuminated in Europe. Some people have been confused when they see this and try to install the bulbs upside down haha.

So I rarely get flashed With these because they are properly aimed. I didn’t return them and so far they are working good. I would bet that the vast majority of these type bulbs are really misaligned. You really need to use a board to aim them. The vehicle settings for Sealed beams or E code H4s are going to be way off in my experience. If you are getting flashed you either have bad bulbs or bad aiming. Need to fix it for safety. They are Very Powerful headlights to have shining in people’s eyes driving toward you. As a matter of fact I just switched from no top to the fiberglass hardtop for winter and also threw the back seat back in. I am going to recheck the aim now just to be safe. Later
johncanfield likes this.
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 10:45 AM
Rubi Bad Ass

competitionled.com DOT approved on driver, stock on passenger. I didn't do it because I liked the look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190728_114044217_HDR_1575038433471.jpg (84.2 KB, 2 views)
Mouse and johncanfield like this.
post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnClimber View Post
Mel I just picked up a used set of Hella H4ís and would like more info on the 2020 Hikari XHP 50.2 LED H4 bulbs. Where did you buy them from as Iím not easily finding them in my search?

Also are you running your H4 conversion with an upgraded harness and if so which one?

They're available on Amazon. The nice thing about these is no harness or adapters are needed and because of the simplicity of the TJ wiring, no additional filtering is needed. They just work on low and high beam.

The bulb has a short lead, maybe 3" with the same connector used by the Jeep and any H4 bulb. The only thing that will require some modification is the rubber seal that goes on the back of an H4 bulb. The LED has a heat sink and a fan that sticks out the back. After I run mine for a short while and confirm I'm going to stick with them, I'm going to modify the seal to fit the bulb and might put a heat shrink wrap around the connectors to to keep them clean.
johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

Ham radio KB4UGK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page