Nextar P3 GPS - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Nextar P3 GPS

I got one for Christmas and wondered if anyone has any experience with this model? It doesn't seem to work with MS Vista so that might be a problem. It also seems as though the map that was loaded on the SD card is out of date. I've poked around on their web site in hopes of finding map updates and possibly Topo maps, but no luck so far. I suppose I'll try to call their tech line and see what options I have. If anyone has any info to share, please do!

Dennis

05 Solar Yellow Not Limited Rubi - SBL (Short on height, But Long on Length)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 12:52 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Send a message via MSN to vandyatc
I have a Garmin and love it.

My Grandma (bless her heart, I love her but she doesn't know much about electronics) got me a Nextar for Christmas. From what I've been able to learn the maps are from 2005. It updates slowly due to the relatively slow processor speed. And, from what I've been able to read up on, good luck calling tech support. They don't do tech support.

That being said, I put it in my wife's CRV and she seems to actually like it. It's been pretty accurate so far in limited use, but for me I want the best if I'm driving around in BFE Tennessee and Kenucky's hill country (cue up 'Dueling Banjos')!

Good luck, and let me know if you find a way to update the maps.

Solar yellow '04, 4" OME and all ROKMEN arms, Currie HD Steering, Alloy Axles, Nth Tummy Tuck, Currie Antirock, and Skid Row Engine Skid, Tom Woods, WARN winch, ROKMEN Rocker Guards, Power Inverter... Retired for trails and fun! Most importantly PAID OFF!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

That sounds about like my luck. I'd asked for a Garmin and got a Nextar. I think my Mom thought it was better because it has a bigger screen. What she didn't think about is it takes up more space on a small windshield. I'm really more interested in a topo version vs. a city street version anyway. I usually know where I'm going around town. I'll give em a call anyway and see what I can come up with. The funny thing is roads that I know have been built for a couple of years don't show up. It just says I'm "Off-road".

Dennis

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

I have decided the Nextar P3 is a POS!!! The map that come on the SD card isn't up to date and so far have not found any way to update it. It seems several of the streets I run are not included. Oh well.... it's better to be "Off-road" anyway. I tried to give it to my wife and she didn't even want it. That's bad! I guess the best thing about it, it didn't cost me anything since it was a Christmas gift. Maybe I can use it for long trips to towns I don't know that well.

Dennis

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 02:28 AM
Rubi Bad Ass

Send a message via AIM to GTOra2 Send a message via Yahoo to GTOra2
EBay it and use the money to find a used Garmin 2720, it does both city stuff and Topo.

05 White, 6 speed, Skid row Steering box skid, Power tank.RE BB, JKS disco's.
Grant4X4 tire carrier bumper. Medic TC skid, JKS BMML, And 1.25 inch body.
Jeep medic Engine skid, Tuffy Glovebox. (Rokmen Gas tank skid
Currie Heavy duty Steering TBI) BFG 33X10 MT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Thats funny. I work with a guy who is using a Nextar for service heating/plumbing work. I just said to him the other day that it was the only GPS I had ever used that actually worked. We don't even ask customers for directions. A street address works every time. We are in NE PA....maybe they did better on our mapping than the Southern stuff?

Every Garmin I have ever used was just awful.

This one is the model he has

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page