Garmin Nuvi 200 Topo? - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Wheeler

Send a message via MSN to Gypsy Wheelers
Garmin Nuvi 200 Topo?

I just got a garmin Nuvi 200. There are maps that can be added to it but the ones specifically listed for it are all street maps. Has anybody tried using the Garmin Topo maps with this? I'll eventually call Garmin but I don't have the time or patience to wait 30+ min on hold right now.

Thanks,
Bret

'06 Khaki LJ Rubi, 2" OME, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, Medic Belly-up w/engine skid, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rocker Knockers, EP 9.0 w/synthetic line, OBA, corners, Banks Power Pack on 33s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Somebody else on here got a nuvi 750 and said he could add topo maps to it. I wanted to know the same thing and how well it works.

https://www.rubiconownersforum.com/ph...=575464#575464

As for the maps, you can find the topo software on their website under maps.

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/ontheTrail/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby
I don't have an ego, I just love how awesome I am.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Wheeler

Update - talked to Tech help at Garmin - yes, the Nuvi 200 will accept the Topo maps but it will not do all the functions that the higher end (Nuvi 700, etc) or hand-held ruggedized models will do. Probably most important is that it will not back track your route. I guess that is not a big deal if you/I use it in conjuction with a good map to plot course. Other concerns were that it is not water resistant so if the top's off and we get rained on (that never happens ) that could be a problem. The alternatives to all of this appear to be either spend big bucks on a higher end unit or go with a rugged hand held model. Down side to the hand held is that then you get no street maps.

Guess I need to think about it for a while and not pitch the packaging just yet.

'06 Khaki LJ Rubi, 2" OME, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, Medic Belly-up w/engine skid, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rocker Knockers, EP 9.0 w/synthetic line, OBA, corners, Banks Power Pack on 33s

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Rubicus Maximus

I guess there is a forum for everything. Here is a forum for Garmin Nuvi's. In case you have more questions.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/f...p?FORUM_ID=172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby
I don't have an ego, I just love how awesome I am.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Rubi Wheeler

Send a message via Yahoo to 06unlimited
The new Garmin etrex hcx models can take the city maps and be used for routing. You just need to get a big memory card.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" John Wayne
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06unlimited
The new Garmin etrex hcx models can take the city maps and be used for routing. You just need to get a big memory card.
Thx, I figured that out after a lot of research. I took the cheapie...I mean Nubi back and will wait until I can afford the etrex and all the other goodies that go with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page