2-way radio install - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

2-way radio install

Looking at where and how i can mount my Yaesu radios in my Rubi, thinking that the Tuffy boxes that sit on the rear wheel wells would be a good choice, secured, out of the weather (mostly). Anyone tried mounting radios in those boxes? I have the Bestop Extenda Trunk in place of my back seat so not much room in that area or behind the front seats anymore.

Thanks in advance

John
N5BSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Rubi Wheeler

John, Which Yaesu and how many radios are you mounting?

I mounted the control head for my Kenwood overhead to the footman's loop between the visors. The mic connects to the radio, mounted under the seat.

KA5IVR ~ 2006 Rubicon, Flame Red, Hanson Bumpers, Warn 9.5ti, and a lot of other $$$ sucking items...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Just keep in mind that putting the rig inside a box will generate a lot of heat especially running at full power. If I had to do it over again, I would get one of those mounts that they've just introduced that goes on the side of the driver's side console. It puts the radio just on top of the dash. Very visible but easily accessed. My rig is 2m only and I only talk on one repeater so I mounted mine under the drivers seat.

2004 Silver Rubicon
Full Traction 3" Lift
1" JKS BMML - 1" BL
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Rancho 9000XL Shocks
Black 15" streetlocks
35" Goodyear MT/R w/ Kevlar
RE Control Arms
Amateur Radio AG4ZE

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Rubi Noobie

Here's a couple of ideas:

On all three locations I used a Ram quick disconnect.

The main unit is installed in my rear box. Another place would be mounted under the seat like KA5IVR pointed out.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 03:19 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

I have the Tuffy Overhead console, which is obviously designed for radios. It has worked well and holds my yaesu and a CB.

04 Rubicon - Bright Silver
Ham radio KB4UGK
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

I have a FT-7800R and FT-100D that I am looking at install locations for, this jeep gets wheeled and most of the time with no doors or top, so i am looking for weather protection as well.
I have the Tuffy Series 2 center console already, and will be moving my CB from the top of the dash to the passenger side of shifter housing soon, I had both radios remote mounted in my Ranger, so already have the full separation kits for both rigs. The tuffy speaker/storage boxes look like they would work (without speakers) which would give some venting, and I am looking at addition ventilation fans as well. Control head swill likely be mounted to the sport cage additions i will be putting in as soon as my DOM gets in, so up and out of the way and out of general view with the Magellan 4040 GPS I am currently using. Still in the planning stages on all this luckily, so I can get it all worked out before I ever start melting solder

and has anyone mounted a SSB-7 dual band antenna to a wind slider before? need to get a set of those soon and can easily fab a tab to put a couple of those on the sides of the windshield and find some way to attach the screwdriver to the warn tire carrier and start the grounding process all over again HI HI

Thanks again

John
N5BSD
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 09:50 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Might be able to fit 1-2 remote head radio's in a Tuffy Center consul (non subwoofer model). In my 03 Rubi I had my RockShots video switcher & DVR in there, I did insulate it to keep heat transfer from trans tunnel down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page