Help, where is a good ground wire location? - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Wheeler

Help, where is a good ground wire location?

I installed a set of KC slimlites today and the brown wire says "earth ground".

I am not sure where to connect this, anyone know where a good grounding location is under or behind the dash? I installed the switch to the right of the locker switch but I can run a longer wire if necessary.

Can I just drill into the body and ground it there with a screw?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Rubicus Maximus

I have my CB grounded on one of the bolts that holds the door strap onto the A-Pillar, not sure if that is good enough for a lamp though. There really is a shortage of good grounding points behind the dash. You may want to run a wire through the rubber boot in the fire wall that the wiring harness travels through and ground it to something under the hood (battery ground, other grounding points).

"Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow"- Ronald Osborn

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose"- Jim Elliot
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Sarcastic Moderator

behind the glove box (take it out) you will see a ground (wire bolted to the metal on TJs)

04 Patriot Blue TJ Rubi - 6" Airock, RELA, 4.88, 37s...
06 Black LJ Rubi - 4" Airock, 35s and my DD
06 Red LJ Rubi - 35s, LA and lots of offroady stuff

Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwarpo
behind the glove box (take it out) you will see a ground (wire bolted to the metal on TJs)
I checked there after I saw a picture on another site of a ground bolt behind the glove box and it was labeled "ground".

But on mine that is not the case (05 Rubi). There are 2 bolts holding the fuse block in and some large bolts up above that, but nothing that says ground. Can I ground it to one of the bolts holding up the fuse block?

I guess worst case I could run something all the way out to the battery neg terminal but I was hoping for something quicker
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Sarcastic Moderator

look on the metal strips to the right of the fusebox near the speaker (remove the plastic covering the spealer (2 philips on the side.

04 Patriot Blue TJ Rubi - 6" Airock, RELA, 4.88, 37s...
06 Black LJ Rubi - 4" Airock, 35s and my DD
06 Red LJ Rubi - 35s, LA and lots of offroady stuff

Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 11:27 PM
Rubi Noobie

There is a couple of spots behind where the stereo goes thats for the dash brackets and what not. There is a couple of spots I have use for lights and my deck. I would personally not run the negative back to the battery since your going to want to have a much shorter ground than positive. Also you could use a self tapping screw in the firewall, just make sure to use some silicon where you are putting the screw to insure a solid seal. Hope thats some help for you there. There is plenty of spots to ground under that dash, just make sure the paints not in the way to make a good contact.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 12:22 AM

for my hella 500s, I used the dash bolt in between the HVAC unit and the switch unit. Multimeter showed it as a good ground, atleast on mine.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 01:41 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Send a message via MSN to mariodesmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxxx
I would personally not run the negative back to the battery since your going to want to have a much shorter ground than positive.
Electricity travels at the speed of light....wire length is no issue assuming a correct installation.

And all radio installation guides typically recommend a connection directly to the battery, for both conductors.

'02 TJ Sport, ARB's, 4.88s, NV241, Nth 6in LA, D44's, 35in KM2's, rear discs, Antirocks,
Warn XD9000i, Superior Evolution, and caught fire only once, N7YMZ
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Rubicus Maximus

x2 direct to battery if possible (also fused). Also direct from battery fused on the positive side. You never know what size wiring there is to the battery if you tie into a point near the fusebox. Run wiring directly to battery with good heavy guage wiring and you never have to worry about it.

2004 Silver Rubicon
Full Traction 3" Lift
1" JKS BMML - 1" BL
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Rancho 9000XL Shocks
Black 15" streetlocks
35" Goodyear MT/R w/ Kevlar
RE Control Arms
Amateur Radio AG4ZE
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Wheeler

Thanks for the replies!

Well this morning while digging around I found a screw just above the change holder to the right of the TC shifter. It was facing the firewall and there was something else (black wire) already grounded to it so I figured I'd give it a shot before running a wire to the battery. It works fine but I get a click when I turn the KC lights off. I am thinking this is just the relay turning off?

Before I grounded that brown wire, the KC lights worked fine but the tiny light on the switch did not work, now the KC's and the light on the switch work, just that clicking sound I did not notice before the brown wire was grounded. Of course last night I had the radio on when I was working on the Jeep, today the garage was silent when I was turning the lights on and off.

Does the click sound like it would be normal for KC lights on a relay?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page