Looking for stuff - Rubicon Owners Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Looking for stuff

I have a old CB Radio and an older hand held GPS. They are about 14-15 years old. I am looking at updating to the more modern age.

I am wanting a two way radio that has a handset and can plug into my remote speaker.

I was looking at this unit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FN2FBML...v_ov_lig_dp_it

For off road navigation I am not sure what works best, is updateable, and won't cost me as much as my Jeep is worth. I am not opposed to a hand held unit, but a big screen would be nice.

FYI, I have been looking to get an iPad type device anyway so I could use that with a GPS antenna.

I can read reviews on Amazon all day, but you guys know better what works.

BE HAPPY. AND GO TO CHURCH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 10:18 PM

I think Garmin is still offering the best dash mount GPS (almost no competition now and shrinking market due to smartphones) and they can support TOPO maps in their products. However, there are some weird limitations. More info;

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...jA9X19136YvW08

This one is directly aimed at what you want, but extremely expensive for what it is.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/685257#overview

You can load the maps and get the same offroad functionality and screen size with this for about 1/3 of the price if you do the work to load the maps.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/61...n/010-02038-02
Mouse likes this.

04 Rubicon - Bright Silver
Ham radio KB4UGK
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 08:33 AM

Garage
FWIW.... this is a long shot.... but bob if you or your wife have health insurance that uses or partners with Go365 (A Humana deal I think) then you may want to look into some of the discounts that go along with it. Garmin for instance give a HELL OF A DISCOUNT to go365 participants on everything. In some cases it is like 50% of the retail price.

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 08:54 AM

many people around me are moving to the FRS (Family Radio Serivce) and GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) radios vs CBs. There can be licensing issues around them. I would see what the people you are out with use. CB is still a bit universal.

An iPad mini GPS/Cellular with a rugged case would go along way as an all in one device. Heck a iPhone Max or larger android based phone is dame near the screen size. Put a rugged case on any one of them and get the appropriate software and go. What ever platform you want to use. I found a full size iPad was to large in the jeep without a dedicated mount.

The dedicated devices are having a hard time providing the unique value they use to hold.

One last thought is the Alpine WRA based radios look interesting for the later model jeeps. The X-409 versions now are getting closer to a reasonable price point, IMHO now. If I keep my JKU around I will probably run this one soon
https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/j...to-x409-wra-jk
I have already lost 2 radios due to a leaking hardtop, so something with an IP53 rating would go along way for me to pay the extra, then the additional features start to make me wanna get this. When the one with Topo was $4K it was a no go, now closer to $2k and I might be convinced. That and a 9" screen would be good for my old eyes.

2003 Rubicon, just PR 60s, COs, ...
2004 Dodge CTD, with stuff
2005 Rubicon LJ, stockish
2017 JKU sport, just UD60
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Garage
As far as that CB radio, Midland makes (or used to make) good products, that particular model might be a winner. I tried the Cobra version of the all-in-one microphone and didn't like it one bit, the handheld part was just way too large.

In our national 4x4 club, CB radio is still in use unfortunately. It would be great if somebody made a non-talkie version of the FRS/GRS radios, talkies always get misplaced in my Rubi.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post

In our national 4x4 club, CB radio is still in use unfortunately. It would be great if somebody made a non-talkie version of the FRS/GRS radios, talkies always get misplaced in my Rubi.
I've recently been considering ditching my CB all together and carrying a handheld CB (just in-case that's what we use that day) and a walkie-talkie (I have a few nice motorolas) but, same as you, they'll go missing in minutes.

I'm interested in where this thread goes. My 15 year-old Cobra CB works well, but it's humongous and it's a CB in the year 2019.

-Ian-
05 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #362. 6 speed | Hard & Soft top/doors | Anti-Rock | Hanson bumpers | PS Sliders | 3" Susp lift | Superlift shocks | 285/75-16 GY MT/Rs | Supa-cheapo winch | Banks cat-back | MCAI | SOLID diff covers | RE Hand Throttle | ORO LiteDots | ORF Sport Cage | Black Magic Brakes | Cobra 18WXSTII | Fancy seat covers
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
As far as that CB radio, Midland makes (or used to make) good products, that particular model might be a winner. I tried the Cobra version of the all-in-one microphone and didn't like it one bit, the handheld part was just way too large.

I have the all in one CB now. Now very good.

The Midland above is a GRS not a CB. Not many people around here use CB's anymore. I do have a license as we use GRS units around with our church security program. I bought 5 hand held radios for church use 4-5 years ago and they work like champs. Good range etc. But in a Jeep I want to use my speaker I used with my CB. But having a couple extra hand held units is a good idea to hand out to others in the group. Those a fairly inexpensive now.
johncanfield likes this.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline6 View Post
many people around me are moving to the FRS (Family Radio Serivce) and GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) radios vs CBs. There can be licensing issues around them. I would see what the people you are out with use. CB is still a bit universal.

I had no issues getting a license. On FRS no license needed IIRC. Not many use CB's anymore.

Quote:
An iPad mini GPS/Cellular with a rugged case would go along way as an all in one device. Heck a iPhone Max or larger android based phone is dame near the screen size. Put a rugged case on any one of them and get the appropriate software and go. What ever platform you want to use. I found a full size iPad was to large in the jeep without a dedicated mount.

I am going to really investigate into this. I have been wanting to get an iPad anyway so it just makes sense. My eyes are probably worse than yours!! LOL I'll go 10" screen. RAM mount.

Quote:
One last thought is the Alpine WRA based radios look interesting for the later model jeeps. The X-409 versions now are getting closer to a reasonable price point, IMHO now. If I keep my JKU around I will probably run this one soon
https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/j...to-x409-wra-jk
I have already lost 2 radios due to a leaking hardtop, so something with an IP53 rating would go along way for me to pay the extra, then the additional features start to make me wanna get this. When the one with Topo was $4K it was a no go, now closer to $2k and I might be convinced. That and a 9" screen would be good for my old eyes.

Yes, those are cool. But well beyond my budget. I do hate the stock radio though. Apple Play is good. I am not sure if this uses a antenna or not? When you are out in the deep boonies there is no 4G.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 03:21 PM
Rubi Noobie

Garage
We are having same thing; people slowly migrating away from CBs. I currently have some of the Baeofeng radios as they can utilize FRS/GMRS as well as licensed HAM use on 2m and 440cm. Those do not allow attachment to external speaker that I have been able to figure out; but they are cheap and not a worry if I don't get it back or it gets run over on trail.

As for the GPS, I have been using my phone and iPad for last couple years and just keeping the Garmin handheld for hiking/hunting. I have been using Viewranger app the most and Gaia GPS app recently. There are features of both I like and both require a membership to be able to download maps for offline use. I have a membership with viewranger as I like their maps better and it has street maps, Topo, and satellite that you can use. As long as your phone/tablet has GPS you won't need any external antenna. I ran into same problem with the garmin screen just being to small for my eyes age.

PS: love RAM mounts and have them for everything.

05 TJ Rubicon, 6 spd, RE 4.5 long arm, 35s and other mods
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinga View Post
We are having same thing; people slowly migrating away from CBs. I currently have some of the Baeofeng radios as they can utilize FRS/GMRS as well as licensed HAM use on 2m and 440cm. Those do not allow attachment to external speaker that I have been able to figure out; but they are cheap and not a worry if I don't get it back or it gets run over on trail.

As for the GPS, I have been using my phone and iPad for last couple years and just keeping the Garmin handheld for hiking/hunting. I have been using Viewranger app the most and Gaia GPS app recently. There are features of both I like and both require a membership to be able to download maps for offline use. I have a membership with viewranger as I like their maps better and it has street maps, Topo, and satellite that you can use. As long as your phone/tablet has GPS you won't need any external antenna. I ran into same problem with the garmin screen just being to small for my eyes age.

PS: love RAM mounts and have them for everything.

I have a newer iPhone 8+, how can I tell if it has GPS? They sell iPads with GPS?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page