• 5 Post By MxRubicon
  • 3 Post By WayWestJeep
  • 2 Post By johncanfield

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
CB antenna placement

I'm about to install a CB on my JK and I'm toying with the antenna placement, one of the options I am considering is the tire carrier, but instead of mounting the antenna to the base on the tailgate I am thinking about using angle iron to raise it above the spare tire. Below is a picture of what I have in mind, the red part would be the metal base, the black line the antenna.
Would this be a good option?
Would a need a NGP antenna? or, a regular one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antena.jpg (76.3 KB, 53 views)
mac likes this.

-Art
2004 Rubicon (auto), 4", TW 1350 CV shaft, Skyjacker High clearance transfer skid, 35"s...
2016 JKUR (auto), 3.5", Artec AL armor, MC fenders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 01:22 AM
Rubi Bad Ass

I don't think you will have any issues with placement, especially if you have a decent radio. I doubt it would fit in a standard garage if you used a firestick or anything similar. Would stink to have to remove the antenna every time you pulled in.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Garage
That looks like a fine location Art. No ground plane antenna doesn't really matter too much for CB however it is important for choosing a VHF ham antenna. Firesticks are really tricky to tune and are very sensitive to placement. I've had the best luck with the Wilson Trucker CB antenna.
mac, Mouse and MxRubicon like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayWestJeep View Post
I don't think you will have any issues with placement, especially if you have a decent radio. I doubt it would fit in a standard garage if you used a firestick or anything similar. Would stink to have to remove the antenna every time you pulled in.
Thanks. I'm OK having to remove it, I don't use the CB in town so it will stay off most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
That looks like a fine location Art. No ground plane antenna doesn't really matter too much for CB however it is important for choosing a VHF ham antenna. Firesticks are really tricky to tune and are very sensitive to placement. I've had the best luck with the Wilson Trucker CB antenna.
Thanks John, I just placed the order for the Wilson Trucker. I been meaning to get a HAM license but keep putting it off, I should make it a point o do it after the holidays.
mac, Mouse, johncanfield and 2 others like this.

-Art
2004 Rubicon (auto), 4", TW 1350 CV shaft, Skyjacker High clearance transfer skid, 35"s...
2016 JKUR (auto), 3.5", Artec AL armor, MC fenders
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 02:34 AM
Rubi Bad Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxRubicon View Post
Thanks. I'm OK having to remove it, I don't use the CB in town so it will stay off most of the time.

Thanks John, I just placed the order for the Wilson Trucker. I been meaning to get a HAM license but keep putting it off, I should make it a point o do it after the holidays.
I was told that you don't have to learn morse code anymore. I think that was probably holding a lot of people back LOL. Who want's to learn morse anyway :-p
mac, Mouse and Desert Dog like this.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.

Last edited by WayWestJeep; 11-17-2019 at 03:28 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Garage
Morse code was eliminated as a requirement quite a few years ago, it's the ancient version of digital communications . It's still very popular on the ham bands and takes up very little bandwidth.
Mouse and WayWestJeep like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page