35" Nanking Mudders
XD wheels, 16x8
Magnaflow exhaust
Motive Gear 4.88 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 10:51 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Question for you? Looked at Iron Rocks site they say Flat Belly skid? They don't mention anything about a body lift, they do say a 1" motor Mount lift.

Haven't talked to them are seen anyone running the kit so not sure. But Do you have to have a BL to run their skid?

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Question for you? Looked at Iron Rocks site they say Flat Belly skid? They don't mention anything about a body lift, they do say a 1" motor Mount lift.

Haven't talked to them are seen anyone running the kit so not sure. But Do you have to have a BL to run their skid?
I do have a BL at 1 1/4" and the motor mount lift. I still didn't get the skid plate totally flat, but 1 1/2" under the frame. That's still 2 1/2" higher than it was. The body lift definitely helped get the belly pan higher up. Take a look at the Rock Krawler beely up skid plate, also. I had that one on my 05 LJR and it was totally flat with the frame. That Jeep had a 1" BL and the motor mounts, too.

2006 LJ Rubicon
Dirtworx rear bumper/tire carrier
Barricade front bumper
Badlands 12K winch
6- round LED lights (4)
HID headlights
Rough Country hood prop
Cobra 75WXST CB
K40 antenna
7-way trailer connection w/brake controller
Powerstop slotted and drilled front brake kit
Superior chromoly front and rear axles
Iron Rock 6" L/A lift
Doetsch Tech and Pro Comp shocks
Iron Rock Over the Knuckle Steering
35" Nanking Mudders
XD wheels, 16x8
Magnaflow exhaust
Motive Gear 4.88 gears

Last edited by CaptRon; 04-27-2016 at 12:48 AM.

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 04:14 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
33 Engineering the maker of that skid has been out of business I think since before I bought my TJ in 09.

Chris
2005 Rubicon
1997 Grand Cherokee
1956 CJ-5
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:53 AM
Rubicus Maximus

The RK skids are a drop still higher than stock, but not as high as a some other companies. I take in mind my Old TJR with the Nth LA on it. The Skid on it was only 1.25 Drop and I didn't have to run a MML or a BL. I am trying to figure out the LA kit I want but I am also very particular about having as close to a Belly up skid as I can a 1-1.5 Drop I can live with might be stuck on a 2 like the current RK if I am correct I think it hangs 2" But I like the look of the skid you had pictured similar to a lot of other good High Clearance Skids. I'll wait and see how yours turns out. In the mean time I really have to decide If I am going to do a 1" MML and BL although I hate to do it. I'll Keep following this thread and see how progress turns out and hope for some good reviews.

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Wheeler

Dave,
I'll post pictures of the lift, skid plate, etc, when I'm done installing everything. I should be very close on Monday.

2006 LJ Rubicon
Barricade front bumper
Badlands 12K winch
6- round LED lights (4)
HID headlights
Rough Country hood prop
Cobra 75WXST CB
K40 antenna
Iron Rock 6" L/A lift
35" Nanking Mudders
XD wheels, 16x8
Magnaflow exhaust
Motive Gear 4.88 gears
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 11:04 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Kind of Confused here bojang says that skid was made by 33 engineering? or is that the Skid from Iron Rock?

I'm still leaning towards RK or Clayton, I like a lot about the Clayton Not quite a fan of their Rear Truss though, while I like a lot about RK but Id rather have a different Belly skid.

I will be watching this I'm really curious how it performs. Are the joints JJ? or are do they use a bushing? In the pic it looks like the opening is awaiting for you to press a Poly bushing into it.

I should have seen them at Jeep Beach if they where there I spent to Much time with the JCR Crew and a few other's
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Kind of Confused here bojang says that skid was made by 33 engineering? or is that the Skid from Iron Rock?

I'm still leaning towards RK or Clayton, I like a lot about the Clayton Not quite a fan of their Rear Truss though, while I like a lot about RK but Id rather have a different Belly skid.

I will be watching this I'm really curious how it performs. Are the joints JJ? or are do they use a bushing? In the pic it looks like the opening is awaiting for you to press a Poly bushing into it.

I should have seen them at Jeep Beach if they where there I spent to Much time with the JCR Crew and a few other's
Dave,
The skid I pictured, came with the IR kit. It is their skid plate, from what I know.
The joints are 2 5/8" Johnny type joints. No rubber or poly bushings in the spherical joints. IR uses rubber bushings on some of the long arm ends, but it's not an issue. For example, the lower rear arm ends are rubber bushings, while the upper ends are all spherical (JJ type). As far as the rubber bushings go, they are already installed in the arms at the factory. The spherical ends I had to build.

Just my opinion, from what I have seen with this kit, so far, and from having already had the RK kit on my 05. If I was to do it all over again, I would buy the RK 5 1/2" long arm kit, IR steering kit and be done. Reason why? I love the way RK made there LA's so high clearance and it just worked amazing. Their skid plate was a tad nicer, but not a reason for one kit over the other. I hated the RK steering kit I bought when I bought their lift kit. Nothing but problems with it. The IR steering kit is excellent and installed easily, too. I will have more things to talk about after I get the Jeep off road some. That way, I can give an honest opinion on how well it works.

2006 LJ Rubicon
Barricade front bumper
Badlands 12K winch
6- round LED lights (4)
HID headlights
Rough Country hood prop
Cobra 75WXST CB
K40 antenna
Iron Rock 6" L/A lift
35" Nanking Mudders
XD wheels, 16x8
Magnaflow exhaust
Motive Gear 4.88 gears
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-30-2016, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Wheeler

Dave,
I am trying to get the pictures I have on another computer that crashed, of the RK kit I had on my 2005 LJU. I have detailed pics of the skid, arms, brackets, everything. Unfortunately, that computer has a virus or something and I haven't messed with it. I'll keep trying, though.

2006 LJ Rubicon
Barricade front bumper
Badlands 12K winch
6- round LED lights (4)
HID headlights
Rough Country hood prop
Cobra 75WXST CB
K40 antenna
Iron Rock 6" L/A lift
35" Nanking Mudders
XD wheels, 16x8
Magnaflow exhaust
Motive Gear 4.88 gears
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Wheeler

I finally have completed the IR 6" LA lift install on my 06 LJR. I will be trying it off road this Saturday. I'll take pictures and report back what I think of it. Yes, it was costly, but I will give an honest opinion on what I think after driving it off road. As it sits right now, I don't like how the LA's hang down further than on my previous experience with the RK LA lift I had on my 05 LJR. The on road feel is very good, but that's not why I have this kit. One issue I see, is the rear shocks only have 1 1/2" of up travel before hitting the built-in bump stops. I'll check that this weekend, also. The shocks are the optional Doestch Tech, which I had on my 05 LJR and liked the way they worked on and off road. I went back to the same exhaust guy I used back in Feb 07 and he installed a system from where the exhaust turns a 90 by the oil pan, all the way to the back. He used a Magnaflow muffler and I wanted quiet, which it is, thankfully. Just wanted to let y'all know where the Jeep stands and I'll report more probably on Sunday or Monday.

2006 LJ Rubicon
Barricade front bumper
Badlands 12K winch
6- round LED lights (4)
HID headlights
Rough Country hood prop
Cobra 75WXST CB
K40 antenna
Iron Rock 6" L/A lift
35" Nanking Mudders
XD wheels, 16x8
Magnaflow exhaust
Motive Gear 4.88 gears

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page