Opinions on the Nth Degree TT vs. the Savvy Modular? - Rubicon Owners Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Opinions on the Nth Degree TT vs. the Savvy Modular?

I'm trying to figure out which skid plate system I want to go with.

Savvy Modules seems to offer a lot, but have a bend that kind of irks me.. looks like it would catch rocks quite easily and hang up on them. However, Savvy is aluminum which I would suspect is a blessing and a curse on a skid plate. Also, not sure how it will do with a long arm kit?

The Nth Degree TT really impressed me by the look of it, and appears to be ready for a long arm.

Hopefully you guys can give some advice.

Nth Degree YJ/TJ/LJ Tummy Tucker Manual Transmission
- http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/nth-de...nsmission.html

Under Armor Modular Manual or Auto 03-06
- http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product...&categoryId=16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 03:51 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
I have an Nth TT and the auto trans skid. There's not a chance it would catch on anything. I don't mind its weight because it's low. I'm glad I put in a body lift too. it comes in handy when doing work inside there.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 06:31 AM
Rubicus Maximus

I am confused as to what you think is going to "catch" over the nth tummy ttuck skid?

Savvy Skid

Nth Skid

I like both skids personally. Probably the 2 best clearance wise out there that you can bolt on. Anything flatter would require some painful clearance to the tub/underneath. Either one would be a good choice, weight savings is what I would personally go for these days.

Will

2006 Rubicon, FT 6" Long Arm, Swayloc DR swaybar, Bling Rokmen Hoplite corners,...etc. (Sold)

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Rubi Noobie

Garage
I may muddy up the water by adding a 3rd choice. Take a look at Clayton Offroads TT.

Positive is that it takes longer to paint that to install, but the thing I like the most about it is that it is two piece. There is a bracket that holds the TC in place and the skid goes over that. The advantage is that the skid can be dropped with out needing to support of the TC, which allows you to service the TC and the front DS. That was my sole reason for going with he Clayton. I also installed a new front DS with grease zerts. It is also configured to go with their long arm and maybe others.

It is substantial 1/4 in and incorporates with their engine skid, which I also hve.

I picked up about 2 in of clearance. when I researched there were others that would give more clearance, but less than an inch more. It mounts with counter sunk bolts so the surface is smooth.

Bad: it is heavy, about 70 lbs.

You can look at my "garage" and I have a photo of the engine skid and tummy tuck looking from front to back.

I like Clayton products, their quality is superior. Others that I hve recommended including JK owners like the TT too.

Their link: https://www.claytonoffroad.com/templ...d%20%28Auto%29
Butter Bean likes this.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 08:57 AM
C4
Rubicus Maximus

"Positive is that it takes longer to paint that to install, but the thing I like the most about it is that it is two piece. There is a bracket that holds the TC in place and the skid goes over that. The advantage is that the skid can be dropped with out needing to support of the TC, which allows you to service the TC and the front DS."

So does Savvy

"It is substantial 1/4 in and incorporates with their engine skid, which I also have."

So does Savvy

"I picked up about 2 in of clearance. when I researched there were others that would give more clearance, but less than an inch more. It mounts with counter sunk bolts so the surface is smooth. "

Savvy is more and as well counter sunk

"Bad: it is heavy, about 70 lbs."

Oops! You got Savvy there, they are not heavy

Another factor that you may want to consider is the ability to repair something if you are not a DIY in the unlikely event something goes wrong. Nth Degree has changed ownership a multitude of times

watch out where the Huskies go, and don't eat that yellow snow.

Last edited by C4; 12-06-2014 at 08:59 AM.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Garage
Blaine and I had a long chat a few days ago, primarily about hydro-assist steering and braking but I asked him about going to aluminum Savvy skids (I would like to put Rubi on a diet at some point.)

I mentioned that after all of the hard wheeling we've done, our Rokmen steel skids (transfer case/engine) have been slightly bent - the transfer case skid is in a gentle arc from left to right and I think the engine skid is in a gentle arc from fore to aft.

He thought that if I've managed to bend steel, the standard Savvy skid plates for me wouldn't be the best solution - they would need to be custom built and up-sized to (I think) 3/8" 6061 plate. However my situation is probably more unique than most since we wheel so much and have moved on to hard trails in primarily rocks.

Our Rokmen skids have taken an incredible amount of abuse (especially when I was a new wheeler ) and I've been very pleased with them. They do need to be painted which is a little bit of a hassle. As far as the weight parameter, they of course do add overall weight to the vehicle but it very low weight which is great for lowering the center of gravity.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 10:14 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
I have beat the snot out of my Nth TT and now have modified it so much it hardly resembles its original self.

Two issues:.

1, its IS heavy and a royal pain to remove and install. However, I have done it many times and always by myself.

2, I would really like to see a two piece system that would allow dropping the TT but leave the T-case supported. Savvy solves the first problem.

And.....well life is all about compromise.

Frank!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 Rubicon LJ #009 Sahara slightly modified
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Rubi Bad Ass

I've had both, and here are some considerations:

Nth:
  • If you have a manual transmission how are you going to protect it? Nth has and oil pan skid, but nothing for the manual transmission. The best solution, which I ran, was the Skidrow LA skid. What I didn't like about this solution was that it hung down lower than I liked in the front. I think there was someone who modified the front supports to get it higher up.
  • As mentioned, the Nth is heavier.
  • As mentioned, the Nth does not allow you to drop the skid without supporting the drive train. Not that that's something you will be doing often.
  • As mentioned, the Nth is powder coated and steel. That coating will fail.
Savvy:

I really can't think of anything negative when compared to the Nth. I like the changes they have made from their original non-modular design. I have their original design.

Chris

2005 Sahara LJ
Savvy Mid Arm
AtoZ Full Weld in Cage
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Nice feedback! I'm glad there wasn't this many choices when I was looking.

John - Yer outta control!
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

Savvy. Nothing more needs to be said.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page