My butt is dragging.......well, not dragging...... - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

My butt is dragging.......well, not dragging......

Took my Jeep to the Silver Lake Sand Dunes in MI this past week. Great trip and I love the sand, but this is my first trip after my lift.

First, here is what i have: 03 Rubi, 4" Rock Krawler X-Factor long arm lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 33x13.50x15 tires. A very nice set up and I love the ride on road. The flex is great as well, but with myself, my wife and 2 kids in the Jeep as well as a small cooler with drinks and snacks in the back, when I hit much of a bump at all with much speed, I bottom out in the back. The front performs perfect. Actually, when we are all loaded up sitting still, I lose about 1/3 to 1/2 of the distance from the top of my rear tire to the fender flare. With the 4 of us and a cooler, we are about 650 lbs.

My bumpstops are right as are my shock lengths. As a matter of fact, I have a couple very small spots where you can see the top of my rear truss has bumped my exhaust pipe. My jeep sits slightly low in the back, but I figured that when I put a winch on the front (that cash went into the pool house this spring, but that is another story ) my Jeep would sit level, problem solved.

I was wondering what your thoughts were. I am not an expert on the relationship between shocks and springs. One thought is a slightly longer spring. Another is an adjustable shock that I could stiffen for the dunes. Another is the spring relocation brackets that AEV sells for the rear to gain an extra 1.5" and level the Jeep as well as straighten the spring. My last is AEV's progressive coils. Of course, I am open to all other thoughts which is why I am asking here.

If any of you have ever been to the dunes, the bottoming out can be pretty harsh at times and I would really like to have the suspension absorb the load vs. the bumpstops and shocks.

Thanks so much for your advice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 12:10 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Re: My butt is dragging.......well, not dragging......

I'd probably throw 1" spacers on the rear springs.

Jeepless
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 - Subaru WRX
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 07:37 PM

Send a message via MSN to Topless Rubi

I wasn`t sure I wanted to click on this post, just in case you had pictures of your butt dragging on the road

The spring locator will take care of two problems which always sounds like a good idea.

JOhn

The Jeeps not wandering It just hates pavement.
2006 Rubicon On board Air 2.5" lift kit and more dents in the skids than I can count

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:02 PM

You should ask "bob1340" about his airbags that you insert into the rear coils and fill to desired height/firmness.

After "dragging my butt" all the way to Colorado and back I'm thinking of trying them.

I think they were $80 for 2 plus whatever pneumatic plumbing and fittings you want.

You can just fill them with a shop compressor or hook them up through your on-board air system if you have one, I suppose.

- shawn

"The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem.
Unless we solve that problem it will avail us little to solve all others."
- Theodore Roosevelt, 1907

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page