How Big is Too Big? 33" or 35" Tires & What L - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

How Big is Too Big? 33" or 35" Tires & What L

I have a 2004 Rubicon, and I want to lift it as high as possible ( no more than 35") but I drive 90% on road, are 35" tires too big, I heard they are? I am leaning towards 35" w/ 4:88 w/ 4-5" Lift from either Tera Flex, Rubicon Express or Currie( not sure which lift is the best) . I am further confused as wether I want to torch and weld Long Arms on my brand new Rubi ( scary thought) ... HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Rubi Noobie

In my opinion, the reason not to go to 35" tires is the gearing, but you seem to be willing to address that with the 4.88s which should work fine.

Of the lifts listed, I do not have first hand experience with Currie, but of the other two, I would pick the RE (which I did)

2003 Rubicon, RE/Tera/JKS 3.5 Hybrid Long Arm, 295/75 R16 Maxxus, Jeeperman rear, Hanson front, Warn winch, Nth Degree engine skid, Rokmen corners and tank skid
82 CJ-7, Rebuilding 55 CJ-5
SWFWDA, UFWDA
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 09:37 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

A bunch of us drive 35s daily. The only downside that I will complain about is my gas mileage. With 4.88s and 35s, I get 200 miles out of a tank.

Other than that, a properly setup jeep on 35s will ride very nice. No, it wont be as good as stock, but Yes it can be pretty darn close.

You can go long or short arm to fit 35s. I think that depends on how much height you want, what type of wheeling you plan on doing and whether or not your state is a stickler on fender laws.

Intense Blue Rubicon

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 05:07 AM

35s are great IMHO, I remain very happy with them but I will admit that 33x12.50s seem to be "perfect" on the Rubi. They seem to do all things well and they add a very solid feel to the Rubi/TJ series that 10" wide tires lack overall and the Rubi is still quite peppy with 33s and from personal observation it seems that a good driver can tackle 98% of what can be done with 35s.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Rubicon-PA
can tackle 98% of what can be done with 35s.
98% implies just about everything or better yet, out of 100 trails, 98 of them can be done by both 33s and 35s. This depends on so many factors outside of tire size that I think 98% is really on the high side and misleading to the people who dont know better. You also need to define what "Can Tackle" means. Sure, you can scrape your way and damage your jeep through a lot of stuff and take an easier line or be hi-lifted, dragged and winched through. To me, that isnt doing the same thing.

Sorry, but this is just one of those blanket statements that I just dont like and I have seen it disproved numerous times.

But.....
Dont get me wrong, A jeep locked front and rear with 33s and a tucked tummy is a very formidable setup. A Rubicon on 33s is one killer vehicle and is easily half the cost to setup than a properly setup jeep on 35s.

Intense Blue Rubicon
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 12:20 PM

Actually Dave it is ok as the 2% difference can encompass a lot of area and a lot of situations. But I meant under it's own power in situations where 1" may or may not make a difference as to if and when the Jack or the Winch have to be brought out.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 12:35 PM

Still too much of a blanket statement for me. The diffence between a jeep on 33s and a jeep on 35s is alot more than the 1" under the axle. I am just concerned about misinforming the people who really dont understand the difference. There are just too many factors to make it seem like they are almost the same.

It's all good, we are allowed to be different in our opinions.

Intense Blue Rubicon
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 01:52 PM

I can say from experience in Moab on some of the toughest trails there, that the stockers, or TT only Rubis, kept up just fine without scraping. They might not fair so well in other areas. The 35s with the mathcing giant lift will get you through some large boulder filled areas where a rig on 33's and little lift can't go or requires excellent spotting, so it depends on the terrain. As someone who I wheeled with (with 35s and big lift on a rubi) said to me regarding the Blanca Peak trail... "that trail was real easy". It is one of the most difficult trails in CO, on par with the Rubicon in CA. Big tires and lift and lockers can take driver skill out of the equation, or reduce the list of trails that would be remotely interesting to you to just a few. I am running 33s because I've found they are very capable for my area, while still leaving me with lots of trails that can keep my interest and I'm willing to give up 2% to have that. Then again, I am a bit of a noob at wheeling. Maybe I'll change my mind over time.

04 Rubicon - Bright Silver
Ham radio KB4UGK
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 02:59 PM

Great points
The converse is also true.

There are also alot of areas where a stock jeep or one with smaller tires and lower lift can be a heck of alot safer and go places where a lifted jeep might roll.

Intense Blue Rubicon
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 03:17 PM
Rubicus Maximus

I have 4.5 RE lift 1 inch body and 35's with stock gears. I drive my Rubi 150 miles per day round trip to work. It runs fine with the stock 4.11 gears. I am getting about 275 miles per tank. Curries lifts are over priced IMO.

2006 Red Rubi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page