05' Auto speedo re-calibration? - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
05' Auto speedo re-calibration?

So what is the story for the 05' Auto tranny speedometer calibration for 5.13 gears and 315 MTRs?

I had the dealer (actually the repair shop at Camp Jeep) re-set the pinion factor for 4.56 and 33" tires but nothing changed. I even tried resetting the computer (disco + bat cable and grounding it) and sill no luck. I thought I read something about this here from Dr. D but I can't seem to find it now.

Anyone?

Annoy a Liberal - Work, Succeed, be happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 05:08 AM
Rubicus Maximus

I bought the Superlift Tru-speed, and cal'ed it for my combo, checked against GPS...........within .5MPH. easiest, and can be set for any combo.

Pick

'03 with extras.............

They call it PMS, because Mad Cow was already taken.
I have a hybrid. I have a gas motor for power, and I have an electric winch for when the gas motor doesnt get me where I need to go
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 08:58 AM

Re: 05' Auto speedo re-calibration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmo
So what is the story for the 05' Auto tranny speedometer calibration for 5.13 gears and 315 MTRs?

I had the dealer (actually the repair shop at Camp Jeep) re-set the pinion factor for 4.56 and 33" tires but nothing changed. I even tried resetting the computer (disco + bat cable and grounding it) and sill no luck. I thought I read something about this here from Dr. D but I can't seem to find it now.

Anyone?
ROFLMAO. Therer is no pinion factor adjustment on the 05's and even back when there was, they only offered recalibration in the tire/gear combinations they offered originally. Those could be fudged by determining the tire/gear relationship (ie: 235/70R15 on a 3.55 gear would be the same as a 35" tire on 4.41 gear, or a 37" tire and 4.66's.

Sumpin' funny there when they claimed to have reset.....But you see it did nothing. Nothing lost, I suppose.

Captains log: Still alive, Sept 2015....If anyone needs me, send me an email to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'll try to respond quickly! Find my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Send a message via AIM to Intrepid
X2 on the tru-speed, works great, even has 2 settings if you have 2 different size tires

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/ ... ts_id/1762

Moab, to a JEEP owner, is a vacation.
Moab, to a normal person, is completely insane.
oh well...their loss.

03' Rubicon "Chimera" (Gone but not forgotten...)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Rubicus Maximus

When the dealer tried to recalibrate the speedometer on my 2003, he tried all different combinations from the tallest tires and highest gear ratio (lower numerically) to 215/75R15 with 4.56 gears. Every single time he made a change, the programmer gave the message that the changes were successful (I was in the Jeep and witnessed the confirmation).
The changes did not have any effect at all on the speedometer reading.
I ended up getting the Tru-speed and the speedometer is now within 1% when compared with the GPS.

Vince
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
ROFLMAO. Therer is no pinion factor adjustment on the 05's and even back when there was, they only offered recalibration in the tire/gear combinations they offered originally. Those could be fudged by determining the tire/gear relationship (ie: 235/70R15 on a 3.55 gear would be the same as a 35" tire on 4.41 gear, or a 37" tire and 4.66's.

Sumpin' funny there when they claimed to have reset.....But you see it did nothing. Nothing lost, I suppose.
I was standing right there with them and saw the Pinion Factor options with the tire size and gear ratio settings. It was under the "Customer Preference" settings on the programmer. It also asked to “Save Settings” and write flash or something along those lines. Now it may not be and available option on the 05's but the display definitely showed it as such on the programmer.

I dunno ?

Annoy a Liberal - Work, Succeed, be happy.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Rubicus Maximus

My early '03 didn't even have the option to set the ratio. I had Dennis at Xtreme Unlimited in Oceano, CA install the Truspeed, works great. Not a single problem with the speedo since installation, and it's now within 1 MPH at 70.

2003 Rubicon Lt. Khaki Auto A/C

Mods: Warn 9.5ti, JKS BL/MML/CA/TB, CB / quad band ham radio, OBA, 4.88, 4" AiROCK, SwayLOC, U-Turn, 35s, HAD DS, X-Line, Nth tummy tuck / stinger, TBT Bumpers / Cage / Rock steps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page