• 2 Post By bob1340
  • 3 Post By bob1340
  • 3 Post By sierrabob

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Anyone using air bags in their springs?

I load my TJ with a lot of gear to camp in the back country. I run Air Lift 1000 bags in my springs and really like the ride around town and off road when NOT loaded down. I'm having a problem with the bags failing when the Jeep is loaded (overloaded??)
Is anyone running heavy duty air bags that work? If I go to the big axle mounted bags I'm afraid they won't stay in place with off road suspension articulation.

Ohirider
2005 Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 02:54 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
I have the Air lift 1000 on my TJ, haven't had any problems with them, how are they failing?, have you checked for leaks?

-Art
2004 Rubicon (auto), 4", TW 1350 CV shaft, Skyjacker High clearance transfer skid, 35"s...
2016 JKUR (auto), 3.5", Artec AL armor, MC fenders
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:35 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
I had them in for many years. They are on my shop floor right now.

I never once had any issues with them. Only thing I can thing of being a problem with these is the bump stop is also inside the spring. No extended bump stops allowed. I never once had a rubbing issue. Articulation was just about what it was pre-bags.
johncanfield and sierrabob like this.

BE HAPPY. AND GO TO CHURCH!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:48 PM
Rubi Noobie

Iíve been using them for years. Mine just started to leak and Iím trying to chase it down. No luck so far. Been spraying lines and bags with dish soap water. Any body have a better idea
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:36 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyz View Post
I’ve been using them for years. Mine just started to leak and I’m trying to chase it down. No luck so far. Been spraying lines and bags with dish soap water. Any body have a better idea

Chasing a leak can be tough. Only "fixable" leaks you can have is at the hose to bag (which can be hard to get to) at the Tee, or at the valve stem. Make sure and check the valve core.

Don't tell anyone I told you this, but I actually dabbed clear Gorilla glue around the brass bag stem before pushing the tube on. Don't put glue in the tube. Let the glue sit over night. No leaks. Just almost impossible to ever remove again.

Those bags themselves seldom leak. I have a set of sleeves that were originally installed on a '99 Dodge Dakota. Then I put them on an '01 1500, then the went on a '08 1500. They are still great.
Mouse, johncanfield and sierrabob like this.

BE HAPPY. AND GO TO CHURCH!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 12:31 AM
Rubicus Maximus

I have a friend that is a wizard at adding tecnical stuff to his off road ride. He installed air bags, pump and compressed air tank with an ability to air each bag individually. He chased a leak or leaks for quite some time. Finally got it sorted but took him awhile. Something about air under pressure that can be a demon!

Some times motel it, Navaho reservation at Canyon de Chelley 2019, Thunderbird lodge a really clean nice place to stay, restaurant not so good but this motel is really nice and clean and run by the Navaho nation.
Mouse, johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

2005 Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page