John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 01:23 PM
Sarcastic Moderator

really depends on the transmission
5 speed will be a dog, was forced to regear the 04.
6 speed is ok, but you will have to downshift to 5th on some hills.
Auto say goodbye to overdrive without a strong tailwind.
Mouse, johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

04 Patriot Blue TJ Rubi - 6" Airock, RELA, 4.88, 37s...
06 Black LJ Rubi - 4" Airock, 35s and my DD
06 Red LJ Rubi - 35s, LA and lots of offroady stuff

Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Bad Ass

Thanks for all the responses. To answer some questions, yes the speedo was corrected with the speedo healer. I do plan to regear but havent decided to what ratio yet. I plan to add a few more skids. Oil pan for sure and debating on replacing the shovel.

I was thinking of doing the gears after the skids so I can make a better determination with the weight of the Jeep.

I ahould consider that right?

I am going on a long road trip in 2021, the Baja XL, 4,000 km from Los Angeles to Cabo San Lucas, then back to LA. Trying to prep the Jeep for that. Its an organized event but i dont want to have to rely on them if there is trouble so i wanted to build it up to reduce the likelyhood of trouble.
Desert Dog and FLLJ like this.

-Mojorisen

RE SF 4.5", 33 12.5/15 Yokohama Geolander M/T+, Pro Comp 1069 wheels, BodyArmor Tire Carrier, FourXDoctor Diff Guards, Magellan eXplorist 500 GPS, Kenwood Sirius radio Ez900HDS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:47 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojorisen View Post
Thanks for all the responses. T...…………. Oil pan for sure and debating on replacing the shovel.

I was thinking of doing the gears after the skids so I can make a better determination with the weight of the Jeep.

I ahould consider that right?
On the shovel there is no debating it should be replaced , factory recognized it and tucked the trans up in the TJs successor JK. Its a must do in my view.

Weight doesn't matter at all . Rpms and engine torque band vs final drive is all that matters. You want to have the 4,0 in its torque band while cruising to allow it to push those extra pounds, the only way to compensate for more weight is to utilize the engine at its most efficient power/ torque range, gearing is the way to correct the engine speed(rpm) for the tire size and get the engine producing hp/tq to the ground to push the weight.

Well I should say without adding power to the engine the only way to compensate for weight is to make sure the engine is running in its power band
johncanfield likes this.

Steve

2004 Sienna Pearl
no front bumper extensions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
some scrapes, dents and some skids ,UCF high clearance skid, Hybrid 3" lift w/tera 3", Bilstein 5100s, F&RATB, JJ control arms , on 255/85 KM2's

2013 crush JKU AEV bling 285/75-17s

2006 TJ project truck GR8Tops, flat fenders , 34s , 6' bed are the plan

Last edited by SteveVB; 06-10-2019 at 10:49 PM. Reason: added info power
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 03:32 PM
Rubi Noobie

Typically a stock TJ Rubi will be lugging in OD with bigger than 33 tires. New gears or smaller tires would be a good plan. This is at sea level with mostly on the flat. If you are talking some elevation or a lot of mountains/hilly country, then yes the new gears would go double. Try running with the OD switched Off. Should be better for the engine, trans and your mileage. 35s over the stock OEM tires is already like an overdrive. Later Glenn 04 Rubi
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:25 PM
Rubi Noobie

Garage
Currie Enterprises installed 4.88 gears in our 2003 Rubicon with a Kenne Bell supercharged 4.0 liter motor, automatic transmission, and 35" BFG 315/75R16 All Terrain tires. IMHO 4.56 would have been better since the KB supercharger adds a LOT of torque AND horsepower making the annoying out-of-overdrive downshifts on every overpass less likely. Also, the 4.88 gears kick in the Kenne Bell supercharger boost fuel map ~ 70 mph which makes the MPGs go down like Stormy Daniels in a strip club. Well OK not THAT bad but still drops 3+ MPGs vs. 65 mph which OMHO makes fuel range too short with the stock fuel tank.

I think 5.13 or 4.88 would be better for non-boosted 4.0 liter motor + AT + 35" tires... but I don't have a "stock" 4.0 liter so just extrapolating.
johncanfield likes this.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Tomb Raider Limited Edition
Currie Enterprises built

Kenne Bell supercharged
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:54 PM
Rubi Noobie

Stock tune is horrible for highway cruising. I could not use OD and it felt like 50% throttle made the same power as 75% throttle. It seemed to lose power past 75% throttle. For some reason these engines did not have knock sensors. To ensure that the engine did not ping, they pulled tons of timing when loads goes up. With stock gears and 35s, even small hills would slow me below 70 mph. OD was not an option.

After altering the timing tables, I use OD on the interstate except in hilly areas. I can now accelerate up hills on the interstate that would slow me down. Tuning will not in anyway replace a gear change, but will help no matter what gears or tires you have. I have 5.38s to go in it. They should help a ton. 70 mph will be just under 2500 rpm, which like others have said, that is where the 4.0 wakes up.
johncanfield likes this.

Black 2004 TJR
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Garage
You'll be happy with 5.38 gearing.
Stinger and Desert Dog like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page