What a disaster - Rubicon Owners Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

What a disaster

Finally got around to installing my Core Off-road control arms. It's official my Jeep is a rust bucket. All those years living on the coast have caught up with me. 8 hours doing the front alone. I'm a tool and die maker by trade and have been wrenching my whole life, but this is kicking my butt. My wife heard me cussing at my Jeep and brought me a beer and suggested I stop for the day and have a fresh start in the morning. I decided to finish up Saturday. I had planned on doing my 1' BL and MML too. I'm figuring on broken rusted bolts on that one too.
mac, Mouse, johncanfield and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:43 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR549 View Post
Finally got around to installing my Core Off-road control arms. It's official my Jeep is a rust bucket. All those years living on the coast have caught up with me. 8 hours doing the front alone. I'm a tool and die maker by trade and have been wrenching my whole life, but this is kicking my butt. My wife heard me cussing at my Jeep and brought me a beer and suggested I stop for the day and have a fresh start in the morning. I decided to finish up Saturday. I had planned on doing my 1' BL and MML too. I'm figuring on broken rusted bolts on that one too.
Sounds too much like me. Good wife brings beer priceless, she's a keeper. Your not alone and glad you shared. My multiple projects are all begging for my time and effort. But as a do it yourself I'll I just got to keep up the effort too.
mac, Mouse, johncanfield and 1 others like this.

2005 Rubicon
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Garage
You have a good wife! Frequently I get really tired and frustrated on some projects and dear wife tells me it's time to call it a day - great advice.

If rust treatments aren't helping to deal with rusty fasteners you might need to use a nut splitter, angle grinder or plasma torch to cut/grind them off.
Desert Dog and sierrabob like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Those front bushings on the axle are a PITA! Especially the cast one .
johncanfield likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 02:02 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
You have a good wife! Frequently I get really tired and frustrated on some projects and dear wife tells me it's time to call it a day - great advice.

If rust treatments aren't helping to deal with rusty fasteners you might need to use a nut splitter, angle grinder or plasma torch to cut/grind them off.
Coincidence that you mention nut splitter John.
Just yesterday I discovered a nut splitter tool set that my Dad gave me 30 or so years ago that has been hiding at the bottom of a tool drawer. I have never used this but recently I use a dremal tool and then a grinder on a nut. I could have used this. I will be trying the nut splitter tools in the future.

Mouse, johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

2005 Rubicon
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:15 PM
Rubi Noobie

I consider myself above average mechanically and nothing gets my blood pressure up more than dealing with seized rusty nuts and bolts......especially if you can't get a breaker bar to it. Lol
johncanfield and sierrabob like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:29 PM
Rubi Noobie

Quote:
I feel your pain, might try getting some CLR on the bolt threads you want to loosen, worked for my rear shock upper bolt that I've heard always break, a couple applications and let set overnight, all 4 broke loose for me. good luck
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

So I went to check torque on all the control arm bolts with my torque wrench and had a nut strip out. Then to make matters worse the nut splitter cracked on me. An hour later I got it off with the Dremel. Guess what size bolts no one keeps in stock. I just can't get a break. Have you ever noticed you can fix someone else's stuff but wrenching on yours is like a punishment. Enter wifey with another cold beer. I'm not giving up, I'll be damned if this Job is gonna break me. To make matters worse my socket fell into the frame rail .......... Magnet taped to some speaker wire and 2 more beers and I finally finished. I miss my job shop! I think I'm going to sit down and design a tool just for Jeep control arm bushings.
johncanfield likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:26 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
So I went to check torque on all the control arm bolts with my torque wrench and had a nut strip out. Then to make matters worse the nut splitter cracked on me. An hour later I got it off with the Dremel. Guess what size bolts no one keeps in stock. I just can't get a break. Have you ever noticed you can fix someone else's stuff but wrenching on yours is like a punishment. Enter wifey with another cold beer. I'm not giving up, I'll be damned if this Job is gonna break me. To make matters worse my socket fell into the frame rail .......... Magnet taped to some speaker wire and 2 more beers and I finally finished. I miss my job shop! I think I'm going to sit down and design a tool just for Jeep control arm bushings.

What kind of torque wrench are you using? Not a deflecting beam I hope.

MARK

2005 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #890
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Of course not. I don't skimp on tools and I don't borrow them. I bought a ball joint press just for this project. The problem is it's so bulky and heavy that I needed 2 more hands. I got creative and used some welding magnets to hold the press while I loaded the adapters.
Mouse and johncanfield like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page