Piecing together control arms? - Page 2 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:55 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

I am looking at control arms too. I really like Savvy, but I just saw Rancho has a spring sale rebate going on right now. You can get about $150 back on a set of control arms. So with the rebate, you can get into the Rancho arms with the D2 (DDB style) bushing for about $720. That makes the Rancho arms about $500+/- cheaper than Savvy. I'm hoping to find some info from guys running the D2 bushing. Not much out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:33 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
I am looking at control arms too. I really like Savvy, but I just saw Rancho has a spring sale rebate going on right now. You can get about $150 back on a set of control arms. So with the rebate, you can get into the Rancho arms with the D2 (DDB style) bushing for about $720. That makes the Rancho arms about $500+/- cheaper than Savvy. I'm hoping to find some info from guys running the D2 bushing. Not much out there.
I don't know anything about the D2 bushing or how it performs. I looked at it and it looks like a poly JJ style bushing. I am sure they'd be better than stock but looking at the design I think actual JJs or heim joint would have more flex.
johncanfield likes this.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 11:12 AM
Rubi Bad Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97heep View Post
I don't know anything about the D2 bushing or how it performs. I looked at it and it looks like a poly JJ style bushing. I am sure they'd be better than stock but looking at the design I think actual JJs or heim joint would have more flex.

As far as I can tell the D2 is pretty much the same thing as the Synergy DDB. (Both are quite different than the Metalcloak Duroflex.) I don't think anyone knows how they will perform or stand up in the long run. They are too new to the market. So they are a bit of a gamble. But when they are $500 cheaper than the Savvy arms, I think they are worth considering. Especially if you are mostly highway driving and light wheeling. That is why I wanted to mention them.

I have no experience with them, so I can't speak about their quality or anything else. But when it comes to bang for the buck, I think they need to be considered. Especially with the current rebate.

From my perspective, I see Rancho as a mass market retailer of mid-level equipment. I think they are better than Rough Country but not as good as Currie. So I am making the assumption that their control arms and the D2 bushing will fall somewhere within that spectrum. Does that sound reasonable to others.
johncanfield likes this.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:50 PM
Rubicus Maximus

I think that's a reasonable evaluation. I also feel Rancho is mid level product.
As with anything you have to pay a disproportionate amount of money to move up a level or two.
Fargo and johncanfield like this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
......From my perspective, I see Rancho as a mass market retailer of mid-level equipment. I think they are better than Rough Country but not as good as Currie. So I am making the assumption that their control arms and the D2 bushing will fall somewhere within that spectrum. Does that sound reasonable to others.
That is my opinion as well.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:07 PM
Rubi Crawler

I lifted my LJ about 65,000 miles ago and always had just a little wobble between 40-50 mph. Every now and then the wobble would get really bad. Those times I’d tighten the trac bar and the bad wobble would go away. I recently replaced all 4 ball joints and the minor wobble went away. The lowers probably were bad when it had 20,000 miles on it. Just FYI

'05 Rubi LJ / RE 4.5" SF w/ 3.5" springs / Kilby rocker guards / Rokmen corner guards / ORO U-Turn / 255/85R16 BFG MT's
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:15 PM
Rubi Noobie

Core off-road is another consideration. Life time if you break it we replace it. They come with options and are upgradeable.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:12 PM
Rubi Noobie

"Minor" death wobble is not normally death wobble but possibly bump steer.

Bump-steer is where your Panhard and drag link are out of parallel, of too disproportionate length, or both. What happens is the axle moves from the bump and the sweep of the arms move to different lateral distances so the wheels get turned to the right or left.

Bump steer:
https://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowl...article-68.htm

Death wobble:
https://jalopnik.com/jeep-death-wobb...p-y-1795053642

With death wobble, you need to be wearing your brown pants. If you didn't or almost didn't soil yourself, it was not death wobble.

As far as control arms go, when I got my Rancho lift kit, it came with the -=beefiest=- lower control arms I'd ever seen. Along with the hardest bushings around. Nothing, and I mean nothing looks like it could make them flex. If anything would give, it would be the brackets on the frame or the axle. A frame costs about 4 grand. An unpopulated bare D44 front axle costs just under grand. A Crown sheet metal control arm kit costs $120.00. So I didn't install them. If I do get upgraded control arms, they will probably be Currie Johnny Joints, which I am confident will not rip the brackets off of the frame or axle, but at $1,200.00, I need to save my pennies.

Last edited by zouaveherb; 05-02-2019 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Adding URLs.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:27 AM
DAA
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

At least it's buy once, cry once with the JJ's. Mine have 100,000 miles on them, tons of off road use, still tight and quiet. Did finally rebuild the rear uppers not too long ago, cheap and easy and should be good for another 100,000.

- DAA
Mouse, johncanfield and Desert Dog like this.

'06 Silver Rubi Unlimited, 6 spd, Currie arms, Nth springs, AEV Highline, 35" KM2's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page