RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Rear axle removal for long arm suspension

I finally got my rear axle
johncanfield likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

I finally removed my rear axle on my jeep. I am installing an nth long arm kit. I did have a triangulated rear short arm kit from rock krawler. Check out the effect the Erie winter had on the axle bridge. I made a guide for drilling the rear lca mounts. I still have to remove the mounts on the frame, the drivers side has a bunch of wires and tubes i have to deal with. Here are some pics of my efforts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (148.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (2).jpg (181.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (1).jpg (99.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (3).jpg (159.1 KB, 10 views)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:37 AM

Garage
Holy rust batman!!!!!

My dogs name is Rubi

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:43 AM

That will buff out, lol.

Where did you find the nth kit?
johncanfield likes this.

2003 Rubicon, just PR 60s, COs, ...
2004 Dodge CTD, with stuff
2005 Rubicon LJ, stockish
2017 JKU sport, just UD60
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:52 AM

Garage
You may not care... but all that rust can be helped if you wanted to protect your jeep from the salt. Either find a shop that performs this service, or you yourself invest in a cheap spray gun and a 5 gallon pail (it will last you many years) of Fluid Film. Spray the undercarriage with it before winter and if possible mid way through winter. It will do wonders. It is not a paint, it is a biodegradable lubricant and is far from products like WD40, or any other general lube.

Here is a good source, but other deals can be had on Amazon.
Source of guns and Fluid Film
About Fluid Film

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Hi, I finally made some time to work on my jeep project. I got the plasma cutter out and went to work on that rear "bridge" on my rear axle. It took some time and a few wet rags, but I was able to cut the majority of it off. Those pieces of molten steel are really hot! Now I am left with pieces of the bridge, 5/16 thick or so, remaining on the axle tube. I am looking at a lot of grinding now. Anyone have a better idea? I suppose carbon rod air gouging would be to uncontrollable and ruin the axle tube. I think I should remove the brake lines before I do anything. I have a 4 inch diamond cutting disk that I can cut closer before I get the 7 inch grinder going.

I had the nth kit for years just never installed it.

Ya, since I have a lift in the barn, I end up undercoating a number of vehicles every winter. That being said, I only used 1.5 buckets so far. I had the jeep since 07 and found out about fluid film a few years back. The winter here is why my jeep has a rhino lining paint job I applied soon as I bought it. I never did under it though.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas View Post
....Now I am left with pieces of the bridge, 5/16 thick or so, remaining on the axle tube. I am looking at a lot of grinding now. Anyone have a better idea?....
You should have been able to get pretty close to the axle tube cutting that truss off with a plasma torch - grind away the stub. That's low tech but I can't think of any other practical options.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to mariodesmo
Or just leave the metal stubs on the axle tube if they aren't in the way. Grind the edges to make them look a bit better.
That's what I did when I installed my Nth lift. I've got about 1/8th inch tall stub around the tube in places.
I think of them as "added reinforcing" and a good thing! lol
Mouse and johncanfield like this.

'02 TJ Sport, ARB's, 4.88s, NV241, Nth 6in LA, D44's, 35in KM2's, rear discs, Antirocks,
Warn XD9000i, Superior Evolution, and caught fire only once, N7YMZ
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Perhaps I need more practice and experience with the plasma cutter or maybe I should read what settings to use. I have a 60ish amp cutmaster. I basically turn it to max power with max airflow and use a standoff. I am sure if a guy who knew what he was doing could use a bit more finesse and get a bit closer. The real issue is that I need the axle tube to be relatively clean on the drivers side so that I can place the lower track bar mount make adjustments and weld it into place. Its just not happening as quickly as I envisioned. As it turns out, welding things together is quicker then unwelding things. Guess ill just take my time
johncanfield likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Garage
I think you can do gouging with the plasma torch - get some scrap steel and try it.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page