TT for 06 Auto Rubicon with 1.25 inch BL, 1 inch MML, and no suspension lift? - Page 2 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:27 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
bathindian2--no pm received. Try again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:21 PM
Rubi Noobie

I’m currently installing the steel plates in my 06 auto LJ Rubicon. M.O.R.E. 1”MM lift. Currie 1” body lift. Moved pumps onto fender under brake booster. Novak shift cable. Prothane trans mount. UCF 3/8 steel skids. The skids were recommended by the owner Matt. I was looking at the one inch model but he said I wouldn’t have any problems with the parts he sold me. Sounds great right.
Transfer case is smashed into floor board. Catalytic converter is also. Pounding floor pan to gain clearance for transfer case. Cutting cat bracket and welding it shorter to clear heat shielding. The trans cross brace is to high.
Called Matt and he’s going to get back to me when he gets back to shop, that was 2 days ago. He said LOPRO mount is for manuals. Before this I didn’t receive the mounts for front skid arms and Matt said they never make mistakes and charged me $30 for new mounts and $25 for 2 day air. I got them 4 days later.
I put 3 grade 8 washers under each frame bolt to gain 3/8ths of an inch clearance. So much for gaining clearance. Need a half inch shorter trans mount. In 08 their was a company that made one but they are out of business.
With your 1/4 inch higher lift you may avoid some issues, but be aware that cat will have to be addressed. I’ve got over a grand in this, and my buddy who has the shop with a lift is pretty steamed.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Hello All,

I'm very sorry for not sending a reply sooner. (Work got a little crazy).

Thank you for the welcome to the forum, the advice, the photos, and the offers! One of the UCF units are looking like the way to go. Not really looking for a tight tuck, just a little more space. I've had the TJ for a few years, and I don't think it was ever off road prior to my buying it. Really good specimen with a solid frame, but it looks like someone tried to jack the truck up by the middle of the skid and put a slight buckle in it.

I have a photo of the Jeep, but I have to crop out the '87 Samurai that it's parked next to before posting it.

Mod's to date:
1" Front Coil Lift
BL
MML
Savvy Transfer Cable (Crap OEM linkage caused a 4-HI to Neutral toggle a number of times at 40MPH in snow. REALLY bad sounds. No parts came out when I trained the case. 241 is tough.)
31" skinnys (235/85 I think) for now. Probably go with 33's soon.

Not really a rock crawler unit. I'm more of a beach buggy / fire road guy.

Looking forward to more tinkering!

Thanks Again!

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:26 PM
Rubi Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroshots View Post
bathindian2--no pm received. Try again.
Sent again
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:47 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
^^got it, replied^^

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

It looks like the steel UCF 'Extra Clearance' skid would fit the bill for me. Has anyone installed this unit on a TJ with the 241 transfer case? Are there any issues to consider for the swap? Are there alternatives to the UCF model? Barnes appears to have a similar selection. Rough Country?

Again, thanks in advance for any insights!
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Rubi Bad Ass

I spoke with Matt and even got a tour of his shop, while I was on vacation. He's a straight shooter. I wanted NO body lift. He sold me on the extra clearance (2") deep cover system, with lo-pro transmission mount. YES, I had to take my time and clearance the floor pan, relocate my lockers, cut/adjust/weld the trans mount bracket for the Cat pipe and I needed to add 1/4" shims under the motor mounts. Nothing hidden by Matt and product worked out great! Take your time enjoy the results.
SteveVB, Mouse and johncanfield like this.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:38 AM
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Rubicon View Post
It looks like the steel UCF 'Extra Clearance' skid would fit the bill for me. Has anyone installed this unit on a TJ with the 241 transfer case? Are there any issues to consider for the swap? Are there alternatives to the UCF model? Barnes appears to have a similar selection. Rough Country?

Again, thanks in advance for any insights!
Any thing other than stock replacement is going to have some issues. How many and the difficulty to solve them will vary depending on the individual vehicle. Lift, exhaust age etc... exhaust is usully the frustration point. Just a lot of things tryng to fit in a small space made smaller.

The 241 is big case, so you may have to dimple the tub...not a huge deal, a socket and a big hammer, some touch up paint. If you have a body lift then maye not. The shifter isn't going to work well so a cable shifter is recommended.
Since you are stock, suspension and tires or close to it the driveline issues should be small or non existent. I would install and evaluate before I worried about pinion angles.
The exhaust is always a question. If yours is stock and in good shape then the bracket modification may be ok. If the cats been replaced or moved a bit, the muffler non stock then it may need a rework from forward of the cat back. ive worked on more than a few Tjs and none of the exhaust seems to be regular...loose joints, rotated cats, cats closer or farther from end etc...it will take some head scratching fiddle time. or have an exhaust shop rerun from forward of cat back...

I run the extra clearance aluminum UCF with the lo pro mount on my 04 rubi.. I found it to be a good system. No body lift so I clearance/dimpled the tub. The pan and the mount easy to install. I used a Novak cable shift. Took 3 -4 hours
The only issues I had was exhaust. I couldn't get the pipe from manifold to move enough to get higher and the cat was hitting the tub(no body lift remember) so I replaced the cat with a smaller universal and relocated it forward a bit and raised the pipe. took a couple days to give up moving the stock pieces, figure it out, get the shop lined up and on the same page
Everything fits and no knocks banging or interference when I was done. Its been on for 4 years or so with no problems.
It is THE modification that's worth the downtime and some frustration, and I would do it again with the same parts...though I will just scrap trying to make exhaust work and redo it, marginal extra expense and save me time and frustration.

Steve

2004 Sienna Pearl
no front bumper extensions
some scrapes, dents and some skids ,UCF high clearance skid, Hybrid 3" lift w/tera 3", Bilstein 5100s, F&RATB, JJ control arms , on 255/85 KM2's

2013 crush JKU AEV bling 285/75-17s

2006 TJ project truck GR8Tops, flat fenders , 34s , 6' bed are the plan
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Garage
My after cat got 'lost' when my exhaust was redone. No sensor, no problem.
CaptRon likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:08 PM
Rubi Wheeler

Hi Steve,

Did you install after market motor mounts for the skid to work. I see that the MM lift and body lift is recommended. I don't like the body lift so leaning toward tub mod to fit everything in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page