4Likes
  • 1 Post By svtotem
  • 1 Post By rlenglish
  • 2 Post By Wheels55

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

front axle offset

Ok guys, I tried to post this under wheel and suspension segment but was unable so I will try here instead, I'm doing some cleanup under my 05 rubi when I noticed the front axle appeared to be offset to drivers side, so to make sure I wasn't seeing things, I got out a level and tape measure, I measured from the end of the axle spindle to the level using the outside of the fender flare as a reference and wow. the passenger side measured a little over 4.5 inches, the drivers side was just under 2 inches, it appears front axle is offset from center by about 1.25 inches. am I all wet or is this not normal? also what should I use for a reference point to correct, if needed? I have a 4 inch lift with adjustable track bar if that makes a difference. I checked the rear axle using the same method and it was spot on. thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0111191507_Burst01.jpg (200.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 0111191512_Burst01.jpg (212.1 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 05:01 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
When I had that issue it was because I did not have an adjustable trackbar. Adding an adjustable one allowed for correcting that offset.

Is it possible the previous owner did not adjust the trackbar during installation, or increased lift height after an initial adjustment?
johncanfield likes this.

Bill
05 LJR Sahara #486, 2.5" OME, 285/75/16 BFG ATs, Warn VR8000, HighRock front Bumper, RockHard rear bumper, MORE MML, JKS BL, UCF Aluminum Engine and Transfercase Skids, MCAI, Savvy CAs, Currie Steering.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

it occurred to me that I have 0 weight on the axle, when put her back on the ground the axle should come closer to center being the angle of the track bar will change. what do I use as a reference point as the fender flares likely not a good choice?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:12 PM
Rubicus Maximus

You are right, put weight on it then drive it around the block to settle in the suspension.
Measure from wherever is easy, as long as it is the same spot side to side. Count the turns of your track bar and write it down. Another spin and recheck. It might take a few times.
In the shop we have slip plates under the wheels so we don't have to settle the suspension after a adjustment.
If it needs any sort of adjusting you will have to center the steering wheel when done, with the drag link.
Most vehicles don't have axles centered but you don't really notice it until you install some larger tires. It really doesn't effect alignment or how they drive but if you are a little compulsive like me then it can be that one thing that just get you going.
johncanfield likes this.

2014 JKU, JKS lift,Poison spyder flares, bombshell covers,Rancho D2 control arms, JKS adjustable track bars, 35" Tires. GrabBars, Crawler Conceptz rear bumper, Smitty front bumper, Winch. Rough Country inner fenders, Teraflex Disco Mud Flaps
Backseat Dobermann Security
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Garage
Moved the thread for you. Blaine (mrblaine) uses a plumb bob hanging down from the center of the engine (oil pan? - I forgot where he stuck the magnet end of the plumb bob string.)

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
Moved the thread for you. Blaine (mrblaine) uses a plumb bob hanging down from the center of the engine (oil pan? - I forgot where he stuck the magnet end of the plumb bob string.)
thank you guys, I was thinking I had a serious issue, sounds like it will not be that bad even if it needs some adjustment, also thanks for moving this thread.
Mouse and johncanfield like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page