Which shocks - Page 4 - Rubicon Owners Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:18 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I ran the 5100's fir a few years. Thought they rode hard on and off road. But didn't know for sure of something softer. Finally decided to put in Old Man EMU shocks. BIG improvement, BIG...

Which OME? The Sport or the old style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:29 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
Which OME? The Sport or the old style.
I have the new style OME shocks on my 04 and I feel they ride a lot softer than the 5100's ever did on my 97

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:42 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

Thanks, for the input. I ask because I had 5160s but I think I over extended them. With 30,000 miles on them, I had the bottom of one shock blown out and oil all over the floor. I don't know what happened. I didn't see it until it was in the garage. So now I am trying to decide if I have Bilstien rebuild my 5160s or just purchase OMEs. The price is about the same.

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:16 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
Thanks, for the input. I ask because I had 5160s but I think I over extended them. With 30,000 miles on them, I had the bottom of one shock blown out and oil all over the floor. I don't know what happened. I didn't see it until it was in the garage. So now I am trying to decide if I have Bilstien rebuild my 5160s or just purchase OMEs. The price is about the same.
A bypass shock is gonna run more consistent than a monotube as the fluid won't heat up as quick and start bubbling. That's when driving fast on bumpy roads or chattery roads when the shaft is moving back and fourth quickly.

If you were happy with the 5160s I'd say have them rebuilt if the turn around time isn't bad.
johncanfield likes this.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:05 AM
Rubi Bad Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97heep View Post
A bypass shock is gonna run more consistent than a monotube as the fluid won't heat up as quick and start bubbling. That's when driving fast on bumpy roads or chattery roads when the shaft is moving back and fourth quickly.

If you were happy with the 5160s I'd say have them rebuilt if the turn around time isn't bad.

Thank you for your input. I loved my 5160s. So that is what I will most likely do. I had concerns if they would blow out again. That is the only reason I considered something else. I'm still not sure if it was over extension or something else. Its happened to one front and one rear at different times 2 years apart. But both could have been over extension due to the way I was set up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page