35s got me up at night - Rubicon Owners Forum
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

35s got me up at night

First off, let me say that I really like my current setup. It's simple, it's durable, my Jeep drives well on the road and does even better off pavement. I can't complain...except that 35s look SO MUCH better on an LJ. So my plan is to mess up a perfectly good thing.

I've done a fair amount of research, so below are some thoughts and questions. I encourage opinions, data, facts, or insults to any.

Jeep - 05 LJ Rubi, 6-speed

1. I'm going to keep the factory fenders and use my 3" Nth coils. I don't want any more suspension lift. A 1.25" JKS body lift and appropriate bump stops will be used to keep everything groovy.

2. The plan, for now, is to stay on my stock rims and add wheel spacers. I anticipate 1.25" through a company like Spidertrax or similar. I'm open to other suggestions and inputs.

3. 4.88 gears

4. I have a set of Rokmen control arms waiting to go in the rear. I'll get something comparable to match the front.

5) Tummy tuck with MML. I haven't narrowed down which company I like best, so I welcome suggestions.
Questions:
- On an LJ, does a tummy tuck/MML combo still require the rear axle to be rotated so much that shock relocation brackets and track bar relocation brackets are required?

6) I'm looking the Vanco Super 16" kit but only if I feel it necessary.

7) Axle shafts will happen at some point...

What am I missing?

Shower me with your brilliance.
Desert Dog likes this.

-Ian-
05 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #362. 6 speed | Hard & Soft top/doors | Anti-Rock | Hanson bumpers | PS Sliders | 3" Susp lift | Superlift shocks | 285/75-16 GY MT/Rs | Supa-cheapo winch | Banks cat-back | MCAI | SOLID diff covers | RE Hand Throttle | ORO LiteDots | ORF Sport Cage | Black Magic Brakes | Cobra 18WXSTII | Fancy seat covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Garage
Not much brilliance here.....

I think you have a good list and have your bases covered. I would do adjustable control arms, upper and lower, front and rear - rotate the rear axle for a zero pinion angle but you will need the shock relo bracket or better yet outboard the shocks. Rokmen told me with a tummy tuck you need an appropriate rear trackbar and relo bracket. Big brake kit would be a highly desirable. I highly recommend calling Rokmen and talk to Jeff or Dave about your plans.
Mouse and Wood like this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 08:46 PM
Rubi Wheeler

Replace stock lockers with ARB when regearing, also upgrade axleshafts at same time.
johncanfield likes this.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 01:12 AM
Rubi Wheeler

Garage
Not sure you going to have enough clearance with 3" springs and a 1.25 BL This is a picture of my 05 TJ with a 4" Currie lift before adding a BL. So I guessing your 3" + BL would be about the same height as mine was at this time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_zps5f5359d7.JPG (132.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 4_zps5c1d5cf2.JPG (116.6 KB, 24 views)
johncanfield and Don Paul like this.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 09:50 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Your plan is pretty much how my Jeep is set up at this point. I only have a few miles on it so far, but Im happy. I plan to see about fender clearance on an RTI on Wednesday when I take it in for an alignment. Front clearance looks like it could be a problem, so I may end up with flat fenders.

Savvy/Currie 3" springs, 3 Link front, 4 Link rear, 11 travel Fox RR Shocks, 1.25 BL, Savvy UnderArmor, 315/75R16 KM2s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Please let me know how it goes. Pictures would be appreciated!

-Ian-
05 Rubicon Sahara Unlimited #362. 6 speed | Hard & Soft top/doors | Anti-Rock | Hanson bumpers | PS Sliders | 3" Susp lift | Superlift shocks | 285/75-16 GY MT/Rs | Supa-cheapo winch | Banks cat-back | MCAI | SOLID diff covers | RE Hand Throttle | ORO LiteDots | ORF Sport Cage | Black Magic Brakes | Cobra 18WXSTII | Fancy seat covers
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

I started ordering parts today. I went with the Savvy tummy tuck. They're on a bit of a back order, but hopefully by early January I can start throwing parts on the Jeep.

-Ian-
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:55 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Garage
I have the Savvy Tummy Tuck.. I absolutely love it. I didn't get the shock relo brackets and I haven't noticed any issues.

Is there something in particular i should be looking for to be a problem not having the shock relocation brackets while having the Savvy Tummy tuck?
johncanfield likes this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 12:42 PM
Rubicus Maximus

I figure that gears, upgraded axles, and upgraded brakes are better done BEFORE you put on the tires. I knew somebody once who disagreed with me, and when he broke his ring & pinion on Poison Spider Mesa at Moab, the other two vehicles, one of which was mine, did our best - and failed - to get him back to the road. But there were a number of obstacles where we could barely go alone, so dragging him on 3 wheels and a skid didn't work out. He spent $2300 on a 4WD tow and recovery job plus a bundle more for repairs at a local garage.

After which, he has never gone back to Moab or anywhere else with either of us.

I do differ on one item from the others. I think that 35's are barely within the capability of the stock TJ/LJ TFS lockers. But if you are going to do gears and axles - which I do not think are at all optional - you may as well get new lockers at the same time with the same labor charge.

Gary
2019 Grand Cherokee WK2
2003 Rubicon TJ
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Garage
A careful and skilled driver can get by with a stock front locker but the rear locker is going to be under considerable stress with 35s. I broke my rear diff spider gears on Steel Bender (Moab), fortunately after I finished the trail.
Mouse likes this.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page