Skid Plate question - Rubicon Owners Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
KMG
Rubi Wheeler

Skid Plate question

Hello, I recently purchased a 04 TJ Rubicon and have upgraded the bumpers with Dirtworx, 24.5 GenRight fuel tank with skid plate, and stock size KO2s. I want to protect the oil pan and tranny. I'm not lifting the body or suspension and need help location a skid plate. Thanks, Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1178.jpg (241.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1180.jpg (344.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1184.jpg (297.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1185.jpg (337.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4316.jpg (430.6 KB, 14 views)
johncanfield likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 04:28 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Mine has a skid row engine/tranny plate and I love it, don't know where to find it as the plate was on the jeep when I bought it.

2004 Red Rubicon
Member of Off-R-Rockers California Chapter Facebook Group
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
KMG
Rubi Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc View Post
Mine has a skid row engine/tranny plate and I love it, don't know where to find it as the plate was on the jeep when I bought it.
Thanks for the innfo. I found the skid row plate for $289.00

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 05:34 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG View Post
Thanks for the innfo. I found the skid row plate for $289.00

Glad you found it, it covers everything very well and it would take a lot more than I could ever do to it to really damage it.

2004 Red Rubicon
Member of Off-R-Rockers California Chapter Facebook Group
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
KMG
Rubi Wheeler

I like that it's one skid and not two. Plus the oil pan drain hole is a must. Thanks again.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 09:56 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
When I bought my '03 it had the trans/oil pan skid on it. After much searching online and looking at pictures I came to the conclusion that it is a Warn. Even though their ads say its not for the Rubicon I've had only one issue with it after I installed a TW shaft. I needed to notch the drivers side a bit due to slight interference with the front drive shaft u-joint straps. If you go this route and need pics of the notch I'd be happy to send you some

Black 2003 Rubicon Set up how I want, with what I want, for how I use it. Just like everyone else.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Garage
I highly recommend the steel Rokmen skid plates. Mine have been to hell and back and still A-OK for protecting Rubi's private parts .

Their belly pan (xfer case), and their tranny/engine skid plate.

They are well designed - you have access to the xfer case drain and fill plug so no need to remove any armor when you're changing fluids (not all under armor has this feature.)

Being steel, you have a good amount of weight down low which helps keep the center of gravity low. Also, being two separate parts, it's much easier to deal with.

I can also recommend their johnny joint control arms and sliders.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
KMG
Rubi Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
I highly recommend the steel Rokmen skid plates. Mine have been to hell and back and still A-OK for protecting Rubi's private parts .

Their belly pan (xfer case), and their tranny/engine skid plate.

They are well designed - you have access to the xfer case drain and fill plug so no need to remove any armor when you're changing fluids (not all under armor has this feature.)

Being steel, you have a good amount of weight down low which helps keep the center of gravity low. Also, being two separate parts, it's much easier to deal with.

I can also recommend their johnny joint control arms and sliders.
John, I think the Rokmen skid plates match what I want but I read where I would need a 1" body lift.
My past experience with lifting a 2012 Tacoma using OME springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks which was suppose to not cause any issues made the truck have a steering wobble at speed and a drive shaft vibration.
This time I want to stay with the factory geometry and beef up the protection. I'm going to call Rokmen and inquire about my options. Thanks, Kevin
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Garage
The body and motor mount lift are easy to do, Rockmen has excellent how-to videos which really helped my confidence level when I did my BL and MML. If your suspension is in good shape, this lift shouldn't cause any problems. Excellent idea to chat with Jeff or Dave @rockmen, they are a fountain of knowledge and really helped me when I was starting out with mods. I've bought a bunch of stuff from them over the years and always had great customer service.

John - WB5THT
=======================
2006 LJ, not stock
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 09:50 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
I got by with a 1/2" body lift with my Rockmen belly plate so it doesn't take much. Also used a 1" mml. If you go this direction get a set of Brown Dog 1" raised motor mounts and ditch your stockers.
johncanfield likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page