Who's running the Banks Turbo for the 4.0? - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Wheeler

Send a message via MSN to Gypsy Wheelers
Who's running the Banks Turbo for the 4.0?

I'm contemplating a power upgrade to the Rubi. I've seen some good stuff here on superchargers but have not seen anything on the Banks turbo. From what I've read (Banks propaganda) it is designed to minimize delay and provide significant performance improvements at the lower end. Is anybody out there running one and, if so, what do you think?

'06 Khaki LJ Rubi, 2" OME, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, Medic Belly-up w/engine skid, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rocker Knockers, EP 9.0 w/synthetic line, OBA, corners, Banks Power Pack on 33s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Rubi Crawler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Wheelers View Post
I'm contemplating a power upgrade to the Rubi. I've seen some good stuff here on superchargers but have not seen anything on the Banks turbo. From what I've read (Banks propaganda) it is designed to minimize delay and provide significant performance improvements at the lower end. Is anybody out there running one and, if so, what do you think?
=======
Reputable company. So far 1 prototype install and lots of issues. When they start selling the kit I bet it will be free of issues. Power starts to build at 3k and gets stronger as the revs rise. I guess 3k is low end?
Makes me wonder is a new turbine is in the works?
PaulW
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Rubi Bad Ass

There is a sizable thread about it over on JF, seems like it should be a good alternative to the supercharging, if they'd ever mass release it. The general consensus is that they're fighting some tuning bugs and want it to be perfect when it comes out.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 09:15 PM
Rubi Noobie

^^What he said. According to the JF thread, their test rigs were running great and they installed it on some beta testers and they noticed some problems, so they are on hold until they figure out the tuning.

I know there are a lot of people waiting for the release. I have a friend that is one and I'm looking forward to him buying it, so I can help with the install and experience the improvement. Living/driving at 4500-9000k in elevation really exposes the lack of power.

Jack
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 10:31 PM
C4
Rubicus Maximus

I was looking at it to until you through that 3,000 RPM figure out. Way to high for what I want it for, guess I'll keep my eye on that Stroker then.

watch out where the Huskies go, and don't eat that yellow snow.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Garage
It is for sale at Quadratec!

Frank!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 Rubicon LJ #009 Sahara slightly modified
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 11:29 PM
C4
Rubicus Maximus

Its been for sale since it appeared a couple f months ago in JP maybe 4WD&SU

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-26-2013, 11:57 PM

Garage
It was right next to the RIPP Super charger for 6k. They turo was ony3k. I am opting for the V8. Putting that stuff on the 4.0 is (like my mama used to say) is like stuffing a diamond in a goats ---

Frank!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 01:03 AM
C4
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
It was right next to the RIPP Super charger for 6k. They turo was ony3k. I am opting for the V8. Putting that stuff on the 4.0 is (like my mama used to say) is like stuffing a diamond in a goats ass!
I don't know about that, it definitely has it's applications: Highway, Sand Dunes, Mud Bogging all where you'll get those RPMs up. I know I wouldn't mind it on some of those passes going down Highway 6 past East Carbon but for traditional rock crawling...not much good when it's extremely rare to exceed 2,000 rpms. Back up pick a different line, let another pound out of your tires whatever

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 AM

Garage
Just pointing out the known problems of the 05-06 4.0s OPDAs, cams, lifters, rear main seals, etc. Since Gypsy is running an 06 well just saying

Frank!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in