Front brake dragging - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Noobie

Front brake dragging

The front passenger side brake on my 04 Rubi keeps dragging on me. Its happened 3 or 4 times and im wondering what it is. Ive already bleed that tire which i know was stupid and i should have done the whole system. Which i am going to do this weekend. I looked at the pads and they look fine. And when im just normally driving and they are not dragging on me, when i put on the brakes it pulls to the passenger side. Which makes me think that the calipers sticking.What do yall think??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 07:04 AM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Re: Front brake dragging

Maybe the left front's not working, or the axle's moving (even the rear) or......

Captains log: Still alive, Sept 2015....If anyone needs me, send me an email to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'll try to respond quickly! Find my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 07:48 AM

Garage

Common issue. Time for a Vanco Big Brake Kit.

The way the factory brakes are designed to work in conjunction with knuckles casues issues. The pads slide/rest on cast portions or the knuckle. Under hard braking the caliper mounts and pad "slides" (lack of better term) in the knuckle allow deflection. this and also normal baraking over time can casue "Divots" or indentations in the cast portions of the knuckle where the pads rest and slide when the brakes are actuated. These indentations casue uneven braking, uneven pad wear, weak panic stops, and all sorts of good stuff. Take a look at the side you think the problem is occuring, and check and see if you see this.

This is my first guess at your issue. Either way it is an issue with all TJ front brakes, but it may not be your immediate problem either.

Eric C.
"Trouble finds me in easy places."

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Rubi Noobie

If you have the time i would take the whole front left side a part to make sure it is not wearing just on the inside and maybe clean it up real good with some brake cleaner. then like you said i would go ahead and bleed the whole system. start with the one farest away from the master cylinder. so RR to LR to FR to FL. and see what that does for you. if you have someone their to help you i would power bleed them with someone holding the brake to the floor to get some extra pressure. make sure to add some brake fluid if you do this. have fun

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page