Stock Box Chop Job (quick and dirty air box mod) - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Rubi Bad Ass

Stock Box Chop Job (quick and dirty air box mod)

So while I wait for Mac's Cowl induction to see production I decided to chop up my factory airbox on Sunday.

I've been playing this out in my head for a while and I like the results. It took me an hour, a dremel, a hacksaw, a spare piece of sheet metal and three good hose clamps. All I really did was cut the bottom off the stock airbox below the clamp mounts and remove 8 inches or so from the cross member.

Maybe there is some SOTP improvement above 2500 rpm but that's not why I did it. There is however and AWESOME sound from it above 2200 rpm at WOT that makes you feel like its going faster (ricer effect)!

I really did it to free up some room under the hood for an air compressor or winch solenoid, etc etc.

Comments appreciated: think I'll have any problems with it? It rained here pretty good yesterday and I took it to work and the filter didn't seem to get wet. The filter will definitely get dirty faster but the nice part is all I have to do is open the hood to check it's status! Also, it moves right out of the way to check the oil and I protected the air conditioner line from rubbing with another piece of the sheet metal.

edit: Oh yeah I had to relocate the under hood light but I of course broke it in the process!! Anybody know where to get a good one that I can actually see in there if I needed it??
Al

Submitted IMHO

'05 Rubi SWB 33" BFG MT, OME lift, JKS 1"BL&MM, JeepMedic TT & Skid, MORE bumper, Warn 9.0Rc
Current # XJ's I've ever owned/totaled: 6/2
Other Previous Jeeps: XK, Gladiator, CJ5, 2 TJ's, WJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 12:03 PM

Great idea! I like the way you think.

I cant help but wonder (and I dont know the actual answer) if there isnt some bottlenecking going on with air flow once it hits the 3" tube or whatever size they are. I simply took the snorkle tip off the stock box and you end up with a hole bigger than the air tube itself, so for me, waiting for Macs intake this will do for now.
You can have a filter inside a funnel with a 20 foot wide opening on it, but the engine is still only going to suck in a certain amount of air anyway. You may or may not be getting any more air to the engine than what I'm getting. But.......regardless, all that aside, that's a truly Jeepin way of thinking about things.

Be sure to check the filter more often and pull the bees and butterflies out of it
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 12:52 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

I thought about doing something similar to mine, of course after going out and blowing 80.00 onthe "cheap" CAI at autozone . but I guess thats ok cause I'll probably need some of the parts to do what I'm thinking about. i'll post pics if
i get anything done with it this week. I'm just not sure i like the idea of having My intake with that much exposure to liquid.especially with as much standing water as we get around here when it rains( sometimes 2-3 feet deep)

CRAP.. I sold it.. < sellers remorse

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 01:17 PM

Here is what I did to make room for the tube fenders. I cut a hole in the cowl and attached the intake to it. So it draws only cold outside air and it brings the intake level up to the cowl. So, it's also like having a snorkel. If I have water past my cowl then I'm doing something!!

Don't mind the dirty engine and the picture I took with my phone, lol.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Rubi Bad Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrubicon06
Here is what I did to make room for the tube fenders. I cut a hole in the cowl and attached the intake to it. So it draws only cold outside air and it brings the intake level up to the cowl. So, it's also like having a snorkel. If I have water past my cowl then I'm doing something!!

That's exactly what I had in mind when I started out. Can you tell us the part #'s you used? What vehicle is that airbox from?

Submitted IMHO

'05 Rubi SWB 33" BFG MT, OME lift, JKS 1"BL&MM, JeepMedic TT & Skid, MORE bumper, Warn 9.0Rc
Current # XJ's I've ever owned/totaled: 6/2
Other Previous Jeeps: XK, Gladiator, CJ5, 2 TJ's, WJ
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 01:37 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJeep
Quote:

That's exactly what I had in mind when I started out. Can you tell us the part #'s you used? What vehicle is that airbox from?
yup X2 -- Need to know what the air box is from.
Thanks
eric

CRAP.. I sold it.. < sellers remorse
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 01:46 PM

It's from a 92 Buick Century 3.3L. I got exactly that year and I don't know what other years used that box except 92.

3" to 2" rubber pipe reducer
The hose going to the cowl is actually for RV's. Got it from Walmart years ago
The adapter to attach the hose to the cowl is from Autozone in the section that sells intake components for imports, lol

The rest of the parts I just had lying around. I'll have to sit down and get an exact parts list with pictures later, I'm at work at the moment.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 11:10 PM

Here are some of the parts.

Number one part is the airbox from a 92 Buick Century 3.3L. I got mine from a local junkyard for $15

The 3" to 2" rubber plumbing reducer has to be for actual plumbing pipe and not for an intake. The size of the factory tube and the inlet of the airbox are larger then what you can get at Autozone.

Most of these parts I purchased from Autozone from their import section.

This is the adapter I used to attach the tube to the cowl. I used a 3-1/2" hole saw that I had, but you could use a 3".

This is like the tubing I used.

I used a male to barb fitting for the crankcase vent tube.

Other then those items, the rest you'll have to figure it out yourself. My other parts I used was just stuff I found at work. I'll add anything else if I remember.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 11:42 PM
Official WebWheeler

Interesting. Creativity is a good thing

Doug
SOLD: 2012 JKU-R COD MW3: Teraflex 1" lift/leveling springs, AEV front bumper with Warn 9.5 ctis, that is all.
SOLD: '04 Rubicon: 4 spd auto, 3.5" RE SF, JKS BL, 1" BMML, BFG MT 33s on steelies, sPOD, Jeep Medic TT and eng. skid, Rockhard cage and rear bumper, and some other paraphernalia
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Rubicus Maximus

Quote:

Whats under the cowl ?
Another filter or does the hose just stop inside there ?
Are you using a cowl cover over the grates ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page