Auto trans fluid? - Rubicon Owners Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Auto trans fluid?

Well it's time to change it, and the manual says Mopar type 4,,,,what ever that is. Your typical autoparts stores carry either dexron III for GM or they carry Type FA for Fords.

Anyone know which is equivilent to Mopar type 4? Please enlighten me,,,,this is the first jeep we have had that actually still has the Mopar drivetrain in it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Rubicus Maximus

You need ATF+4. For a long time it was a Chrysler proprietary synthetic formula and you could only get it at the dealer. I think they have let it out to the aftermarket but I am not sure. I think the ATF+4 is more modified than the dexron or type F fluids (friction modification) so if you cannot find ATF+4 at the local auto parts I would play it safe and go to the dealer.

'04 Rubi, 4" RK LA, 1"BL, 1"MML, Warn 8274, Rokmen sliders, PSC flat fenders, PSC Krusher corners, lite dots, Currie AntiRock, etc.

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 03:29 PM
RubiconOwnersForum.com Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Mudder
You need ATF+4. For a long time it was a Chrysler proprietary synthetic formula and you could only get it at the dealer. I think they have let it out to the aftermarket but I am not sure. I think the ATF+4 is more modified than the dexron or type F fluids (friction modification) so if you cannot find ATF+4 at the local auto parts I would play it safe and go to the dealer.
I agree. Use NOTHING BUT ATF+4

No lubegard additives/emulators, no ATF+3, not Dexron, or anything.

An autoparts store carrying nothing but Dexron and Type F is about 30 years behind the times. I stock 6 different types of ATF (Dexron III/Mercon, Mercon V, Mercon SP, ATF+4,Transynd,Crossfire/Sprinter ATF) and still find that I don't have what I need all the time.

Captains log: Still alive, Sept 2015....If anyone needs me, send me an email to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'll try to respond quickly! Find my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Well I guess I am the one behind the times Doctor D,,,,as all my other cars only require dexron III or good old fasion gear oil Yes everything I drive is just that old. So that is all a generally keep my eyes open for at the parts stores,,,lol.

Thanks for the replies guys,,,,I will head to the stores and start looking for ATF +4
Cheers, Larry.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 06:42 PM

If you find it outside of a dealership it would be a big favor to me if you posted up where you found it, etc - my Stealership is SOOOO proud of that crap. I wasn't aware that it had gone aftermarket.

Thanks,
John
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Rubi Noobie

I saw Mopar ATF+4 at Walmart in quarts, don't recall the price. When I changed my trans fluid the first time only the dealership carried ATF+4.

2003 Rubicon
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 09:08 PM

Napa has it too, Valvoline ATF4+.

C>
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 10:55 PM

That's great news. It's getting close to time again to need it - maybe it won't cost an arm and a leg this time.

J
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 11:03 PM

The Autozone by me carries ATF+4

Jeepless

2011 - Subaru WRX
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Rubicus Maximus

ATF+4

X2 on Wally World.. They carry Valvoline and an e-cono ATF+4 made by Coastal. :P

Got mud?
06 Rubi AtoZ Fabrication rear bumper. CB (wifes toy)
04 TJ. D44..Hydraulic winch, CB. AtoZ Fabrication armor and rear bumper, CB and GPS. 33 Engineering TT, SS-SYE... 31's..1.75"BB, 1"BL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rubicon Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page